In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The Lever Gun of Knives.

MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
edited September 2014 in General Discussion
No one who knows anything about hunting and survival Will have to agree the ole tried and true lever gun be it a 30-30, 32 and all the other calibers has killed more game, protected more homes than probably any other calibers here in the US.The lever gun has been the go to for many years But what about knives. What did Great Great Grandpas and Grandmas use. What knife did the buffalo hunters, trappers, Mountain men use. Nothing fancy nothing big or thick.. What they all have in common is one type of knife. The Green River, Old Hickory type of butcher knife. They came in various lengths with straight blades, curved blades for skinning, even hooked blades for harvesting various plants.

They all had a couple of things in common, the scales were hardwood and like blocks of wood in the hand. The blades were usually only 1/8th of an inch with them being made from medium to high carbon steel such as 1060 up to 1095

I still have my great great Grandfather's butcher knife. It now has it place in my safe beside custom knives costing hundreds of dollars. It looks like Fido's rear end. The scales are all cracked, there is a rich patina covering the blade. I wouldn't trade it for a $400.00 Randal

These butcher type of knives traveled with settlers over the parries. Cut slab bacon, butchered deer. elk, venison. Carved wooden toys for little ones.

Can anyone come up with a knife that has done more for the early American people? U can still buy these knives for less that $20. I have bought them at yard sales and flea markets for as cheap as @2.00. installed new scales, made a simple sheath and sold them for $20.00. I make new butcher knives out of old 12" saw blades and along with a native American style sheath and sell them for $100.00.

Comments

• Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They really did not have much of a choice back in the mountain man days. It got the job done and that is all that matters.
  • Options
    medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While you cannot buy these for $20 anymore, the still available Case knives (I prefer the Trapper style) have been used on farms, in the woods, a myriad of workplaces and around the house for over 100 years.

My grandfathers and uncles were never without their Case knife in their pocket.

In todays world of tactical ninja special auto deploying spread your peanut butter for you knives, the simplicity of the Case knife still stands strong.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I would offer that the 5 and dime store penknife was instrumental in teaching boys to become men. Their first potentially dangerous possession cut more thumbs, whittled more sticks and cut up more apples than imaginable.

Without the penknife or pocketknife, young lads would not have gotten that 1st piece of responsibility.
  • Options
    searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    Green River knives would be my submission. Tried and true, used new and old.

Dan
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For that era Green River type. 20th Century probably Case.
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,954 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Imperial pocket knives, everyone had one. Don
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Barlow pocket knife has to be a contender
  • Options
    Mk 19Mk 19 Member Posts: 8,170
    edited November -1
    over the past 50 years I would say that that knife would be the Buck 110
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mk 19

The Buck would get my vote.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    This was my great grand fathers Green River knife, the handles are not original. My great grand father homesteaded in Big Horn County Montana in the late 1890s.
    W.D.
    IMGP9942.JPG
    IMGP9943.JPG
  • Options
    Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    I'm in on this one along with the 119 hunting knife[;)]

quote:Originally posted by mark christian
    quote:Originally posted by Mk 19

The Buck would get my vote.
  • Options
    MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CapnMidnight
    This was my great grand fathers Green River knife, the handles are not original. My great grand father homesteaded in Big Horn County Montana in the late 1890s.
    W.D.
    IMGP9942.JPG
    IMGP9943.JPG

I have made and sold several reproductions like this ole Buffalo Skinner. These wide sweep sharp blades will skin a deer, bear or hog like nothing else will.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by savage170
    The Barlow pocket knife has to be a contender

+1 more vote for the Barlow.