In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Going fishing tomorrow.....suggestions?

35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in General Discussion
Looking for tips from the resident Northern Pike fishermen here. I've got a tackle box full of various lures, baits(stink and normal), and lines.

I've got several packages of unused steel leaders already. What would work the best. I've always understood that Dardevles work good, and the bigger Rapalas.

Pike haven't been in this river very long, but up north of where I live, I understand that people are catching them up to 32"(which is a monster for this river), and I feel it is my duty to get in on some of that action.[:D] Also, there's no limit on them[:p], the F&G want them gone.

Thanks.[:)][8D]
An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.

Comments

• Options
    redhead71redhead71 Member Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1/4 stick of tnt does wonders!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redhead71

I like the way you think!

I figured a few Dupont Spinners might come in handy.[:D][:D][;)]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    joker5656joker5656 Member Posts: 5,598 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redhead71

FTW!!!!!
  • Options
    minitruck83minitruck83 Member Posts: 5,369
    edited November -1
    Calcium Carbide and a glass jug.

DuPont spinner, ain't heard that in a while.
    [:D]

Allen
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Blue Fox #5 inline spinner. I have caught many northern and a few muskies over the past 10 years with this lure.

White Spinner Baits also have served me well.
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I can offer what i have recently seen Doug Stangy using on TV.
    It was last year but, it was late July of last year.
    The man was slow rolling HUGE "swim baits" in deep water...
    By huge i mean 5-7" perch or trout lookin swim baits.Long casts and a steady retrieve. Vary your speed and depth till u find a pattern..
    Good luck and please. TAKE PIX!!
  • Options
    fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    If u are gona go "stick" (DYNO) "HERCULESE" makes a stronger blast!!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by William81
    Blue Fox #5 inline spinner. I have caught many northern and a few muskies over the past 10 years with this lure.

White Spinner Baits also have served me well.

I've got a couple Blue Fox's that size, mostly blue, IIRC. I know I've got a bunch of Mepps spinners as well, quite a bit smaller though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    If u are gona go "stick" (DYNO) "HERCULESE" makes a stronger blast!!

Dang, all I've got for Hercules products are a couple pounds of 2400.[:D][;)]
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,628 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometimes the smaller ones work better depends on the conditions.

I hope you have a great day out there.....
  • Options
    mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 35WhelenClassic
    Looking for tips from the resident Northern Pike fishermen here. I've got a tackle box full of various lures, baits(stink and normal), and lines.

I've got several packages of unused steel leaders already. What would work the best. I've always understood that Dardevles work good, and the bigger Rapalas.

Pike haven't been in this river very long, but up north of where I live, I understand that people are catching them up to 32"(which is a monster for this river), and I feel it is my duty to get in on some of that action.[:D] Also, there's no limit on them[:p], the F&G want them gone.

Thanks.[:)][8D]

Do yourself a big favor and get some Large Golden Shiner minnows, screw the lures! You can't beat live bait!
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Don't forget the Beer and Sandwiches.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    4 inch Red Devil lures..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Dammit anyway!! Got rained out!! [:(!][:(!][V]

Just got down to the river, and the sky started turning black, so I hightailed it back home. Didn't feel like turning myself and the Jeep into a 45mph lightning rod.[:0]

Oh well, there's always tomorrow I guess.
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Next time along with a good supply of "DuPont Divers" take a Mepps #4 Aglia with the gold spoon. Must be an Aglia, MUST be a #4 and I prefer the gold spoon . 8-10 casts and if you don't hook a Northern it's time to move!! They are deadly! Once you find the Northerns, you can try larger baits for larger fish!
    Steel leaders too!
    Good luck!!