In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Astigmatism/Lasix fix?

ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
edited January 2018 in General Discussion
It seems I?ve developed some degree of an astigmatism in my left eye, I?m right eye dominant. I?ve always shot handguns with both eyes open out to around 15-20 yards but my groups have been falling off unless I went to closing my left so I got a check up and that was the diagnosis. There was a brief discussion of a Lasix remedy but I wanted to give the subject more thought. Has anyone run into a similar situation? Was Lasix an option in your case and did it help sort out the issue?
"...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales

Comments

• Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    I had an astigmatism problem and had the lasics done. Best money I ever spent. I wore glasses 24/7 and haven't needed them now for over a decade. As I aged, my eyes kept changing and I now need reading glasses. They warned me this would happen before I had the procedure done. I paid for lifetime warranty so I can go in and get them tweaked again for free and I'm considering it.

Bear in mind, just like everything else, sometimes things can go wrong so the procedure is not without risk. I believe the process has been greatly refined since I had mine done. If it goes well, the worst thing is having to squirt eyedrops in your eye very frequently, which if you do it religiously will speed up the recovery time greatly.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same...unbelievable, not having to wear "specs"...Go for it!
  • Options
    oldWinchesterfanoldWinchesterfan Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wore glasses all my life, once problem was diagnosed, and hated them. Lasix was one of the very best things I have ever done in my life--period.

At that time contact lenses for astigmatism were horribly uncomfortable. 20+ years later, and now of an age were I should need reading glasses I wear contacts to address the little bit of astigmatism that has come back and my dominant eye is focused at computer screen distance (think front sight) and the other is optimized for distance vision.

Try contact lens first. If that doesn't make you happy, I would not shy away from lasix at all.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had it done over ten years ago. Went from 20/650 to 20/30. I could have gone in for a second touch-up but decided to leave well enough alone. They made me read about all the things that can go wrong & if that doesn't scare you then you didn't read carefully enough.
    I am very glad I did it & my vision hasn't changed since except I am developing a cataract.
    I had the low cost procedure & it did not correct my astigmatisms.
    I can legally drive without glasses, watch television & see what time it is when I look at the alarm clock. The only down side is I can now clearly see the old women at the swimming pool in Sun City.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,588 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wore glasses since they found out I needed them about 4th grade 54 years or so ago )
    about 20 years give or take I had radial keratotomy done
    .. worst thing in my life so far
    they over corrected my astigmatism in my right eye it now like having double vision in one eye ( best way to explain it ) I am right eye dominant and shoot right handed ,
    also I have a starburst effect from the procedure for the fist few months I wore sun glasses even at night signal lights brake lights were blinding me
    during the day I wore two pair of sunglasses darkest ones I could find and would still take aim close my eyes and drive ...

the doc told me no way I could see the incision's in my eyes I drew them for him on a white board ,, he told me I was the only one who ever could see them . and agreed they were the cuts he made
    he wanted to touch up my right eye but I would not risk making it worse
    told me when I got older I would loose most of the star burst as my eyes were very light blue and opened up well beyond what most peoples pupils do ,
    it has sucked for all these these years
    after about a year I did adjust some to deal with the starburst effects
    now I still have them but he was right now 20 years later I still have it but not to the point of having to close my eyes when a bright light hits them
    I loved to shoot but it killed the fun of it for me along with even reading the sights are all fuzzy , and red dot and illuminated scopes are just fuzzy glowing star looking dots
    even regular scopes are a challenge but better than not getting to shoot
    I wish I had held out several more years as the laser is suppose to be a lot ,ore accurate but too late
    Oh one more I did stop wearing glasses maybe just under two years even with the astigmatism I learned to deal with it,
    with in the two years I had to start wearing glasses again
    now there as bad as before the surgery and I have the side effects of it to deal with also [:(!][:(!][:(!]
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to a seminar a doctor was giving on radial keratotomy several years before I had the Lasik done. I have heard of problems people have had so I am glad I waited. I do remember asking him why not use a laser instead of a freehand scalpel & he said that could never be done because there was no way to control the depth of the cut. Of course the Lasik procedure is completely different but I would still like to be able to ask him if he still thinks a laser is impossible.[:D]
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every year the percent of "poor outcomes" has decreased. I waited & waited, until I felt comfortable that they had worked out most of the problems. When I finally told my eye doc, "I'm ready for surgery", she said, "Sorry, you've got cataracts, you're no longer a candidate for the procedure."

If you're going to do it, just go ahead.....

Neal
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I look at laser eye surgery as TWO opportunities to have blindness set upon you.
    I've worn glasses since I was 6, and that was well over 55 years ago.
    I have astigmatism, which is sometimes called nearsightedness. I can make out man-sized objects to about 175 yards in the open, but unless it's moving or talking to me; coulda been a bush.
    Glasses are a temporary fix, like a bandaid; lasers in your eye are forever.
    There's a laser eye joint really close to me, and it's educational to watch the 15-30% that got screwed up try to get back in the building.
    Most common procedure is the short/long vision; one eye is supposed to be for up to 20' away & reading, the other is allegedly for further.
    I can only surmise that it doesn't work that well, due to the concrete-filled barriers in front of the place being well-abused & bent.
    A coworker got his eyes done about 8 years ago, had the long/short version, and got his license yanked for being legally blind 3 years ago. Told me everything's blurry and has halos around 'em.
    I'll blow a couple hunnert every few years on exams and glasses rather than spend my life wondering what I'm looking at.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If ya hadn't of handled it so much your eyes wouldn't have gone bad!

Brown's Syndrome LOL
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    had 2 eye operations first to get rid of FLOATERS really bad/ things went great but did have some side affects show up a few months later then had lens implant both of these right eye only now 20/15 in right eye with out glasses and no astigmatism left eye 20/30 with glasses . 20/200 without correction in left eye so without classes I can read up close with left eye an far away with right eye [^][:p]
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys, lots of pros/cons food for thought here. I appreciate the input...have some thinking to do.
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,096 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had it done about 20 years ago.
    Went from"counting fingers" like worse than 20/1000 to 20/20 in one eye and 20/15 in the other. Best thing I ever did!
    Already had bifocals in my coke bottle bottom thick glasses and reading glasses for contacts. I wear reading glasses for any and all up close stuff.
    Open sights have always been an issue for my eyes, but I'm just about really done with them now at 59.......Certain good sights in good light still work, All of my hunting rifles have scopes.
    Good luck!