In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Refirgerator repair???

gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Fellow GBers,

I've got about a 10-12 year old side by side Frigidair in my garage. Last year I added a new draft dispensing system to it so I'd hate to have to take that draft system out if it cannot be repaired. I also don't want to go through the trouble of finding another one. The fridge side runs but now no longer cools. It's also making a whining noise. The freezer side does not work when it's below 35. It's fine when it's above 35. I've heard that I may be able to add freeon to it to solve the problem but the noise makes me think it's too far gone. Are there any fridge experts out there who are "in the know" about this sort of thing. If I cannot fix the fridge I'll have to remove the dispensing system and the Frigidair will be my next creative shooting target for me and the wife. [:D][:D]

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check the fan motor. May not be running and fridge won't cool. Simple fix. Take off back of panal ( usually inside the freezer ) unplug and go get a new one. Or, your compressor is shot. Unplug the fridge, let it sit for a couple minutes and plug it back in. Does the compressor click and come on?
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a similar situation.........freezer worked fridge did not. Every so often there would be a loud whining sound coming from the freezer side. Replaced the fan motor and all is well.
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    select-fire is on the right track.I'm nowhere near being a "fridge" repairman,but more often than not,on the old one's that I've had out in the garage or at hunting camp,the fan was the first thing to go.

Good luck,
    BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.