In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

You Turkey

BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
huntin' guys.I picked up a Mossberg Ulti-Mag the other day and intend to use it this Spring season.It's got the 28"bbl,w/what I assume will be a modified choke tube.(I bought it used and haven't found a tube wrench yet to see for sure.)I would imagine I'll need a full,or even tighter choke for best results?What works best for you?
Also,with the best choke/ammo combination,what would be the maximum practical range with this setup?What would you recomend for ammo?

Thanks,
BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.

Comments

• springer1springer1 Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Full or extra full ,I thimk you should stay with a flush fit choke because your barrel is aready 28inch,as far as loads buy 3-4 differant size and load ,and go pattern your gun.I like #5s or #4s some places you can even use#2s 3inch min-3 1/2 ,Start at 30 yards and go out to 45-50 yards and see where shes hiting
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,457 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, full or extra full on the choke will do, maybe more open, depends upon the distance you will shoot and how the gun patterns. I like those Rem turkey loads with mixed 4 and 6 shot. Pattern well for me, but spendy. Good Luck!

He Dog
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    cabellas sells some replacment chokes, I go with a ported one they look cool. I shoot winchester turkey loads in 4 or 5 shot

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definantly get some new chokes mine came with a Modified,Full,Extra Full,Turkey and improved modified.I use it for many different game hunting.I use Federal 3 1/2 inch Magnums no.4 shot,I feel confident I could make a 40-50-yrd clean kill with the Turkey choke.But I would not want to push range to far as you could end up wounding the bird.I like my Savage .22Hornet over 12GA shotgun.Its the best of both worlds for Turkey hunting.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Your gun, after you do the pattern test, will give you the answers. Seldom do I shoot past 35-yards, but doesn't mean you can't push that a few yards. But, if you're doing your part on the sweet talk to the bird, then he'll be close enough anyway.

On shot size, 5's are as big as I ever go. But then I shoot #9's at Dove. More pellets is the deal, doves don't take but a couple to drop 'em and really the same with turkey. Sure, they're big and tough, but if you put two or three pellets in the neck...he's not going to do much but flop around.
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Sounds like about what I was thinkin'.Thank you all for the advise,I haven't been Spring hunting in about 15 years and then I used a rifle.
    Never had much trouble gettin' them in close,but then that was usually for someone else.Now that I've got a place to go that has a bunch of birds,I'm getting excited about it!!

Thanks,
    BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.