In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Opnions wanted

jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Ok, here is my dilema(yeah I know spelling[:p])

My local pawnshop has the prettiest Longbranch Enfield (Canadian 1950) you have ever seen, bore is mint, wood is near perfect and its just plain sweet. Problem is I just dont have the cash to get it ($240), should I sell my single shot 45/70 or custom stag handled bowie knife to get this gun? I would really like to have it (never owned a .303 before) but hate the idea of parting with one of my 45/70's or the knife.
He wont do a layaway and I know that gun wont sit there very long.

So, what do you guys think, sell something and get it, or just hope its there when I can save up?

JuJu(dont hold back, lets hear what you got to say)

Comments

• robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    If you want it as much as it sounds and don't want to part with some of your items I would hit up a friend for a loan. Grab the gun, make the dough, repay the friend. Works out great if you have a nice friend [^].

signew.JPG

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."
  • tidemantideman Member Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No Bucks.......No Buckaroos!!!!!!!!!!!

Tideman [Frugal in TEXAS]
  • jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    Robo, not a bad idea except I hate to borrow money, especially from friends.

JuJu(in debt up to his eyeballs as it is)
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im sure theres something you could sell other than your guns..

Ask a relative for an early christmas present.. [:D]

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    Then hit up an enemy for it. This way if something happens and you can't pay them back, you still have all your friends!
    Simple.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
    edited November -1
    Heck juju, I'll loan you the money if you want. Honest! I'm about 99.99999% sure you're good for it too. [^]

signew.JPG

• ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cmon roboman, everyone knows you're broke after finally buying a cup and jockey strap for hockey. [;)]

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
    edited November -1
    Robo, appreciate that but like I said; I dont borrow money from friends.[:)]

greeker, great idea, now if I can just find an one dumb enough to lend me the money, HAIRY, EMM how bout a loan?

JuJu(just kidding Hairy and EMM, you guys know I love ya[:D])
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by juju
    Robo, appreciate that but like I said; I dont borrow money from friends.[:)]

greeker, great idea, now if I can just find an one dumb enough to lend me the money, HAIRY, EMM how bout a loan?

JuJu(just kidding Hairy and EMM, you guys know I love ya[:D])

Baaahh! You're too modest! I may be a young little turd but I know a good opportunity when I see one and I seize it! [:D][:D][:D]

signew.JPG

• Chevyman TxChevyman Tx Member Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what about getting the money from the bank? or how about a credit card?

"Keep turnin to the RIGHT"
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's crap that the guy won't do layaway. I almost never have the money all at once to buy a new iron, so I just put money into the gunstore every payday until I get whatever it is. Too bad he won't do it. I'd put the word out to your friends asking them not to scoop it up, then just cross your fingers and hope it doesn't go anywhere. I never get rid of something I already own to buy something else that I want. (this is in regaurds to everything I own that I would consider toys)

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • 925925 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ask him how much he'd give you on loan for a gun like that, then pay him the difference and pick it up next month.
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    I like enfields, but personally I would never trade a 45/70 for an enfield. Enfields are fairly common, another will likely come along. Either way, good luck!

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    I like enfields, but personally I would never trade a 45/70 for an enfield. Enfields are fairly common, another will likely come along. Either way, good luck!

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    I'd give you the money with your 45/70 as colateral. (what brand was that?) And I even live in Florida so there wouldn't be any transfer problems. [8D]
    Unless of coarse you just want to trade me for my like new Enfield?

Steve

ag00612_.gifsun_setting.gif
    Fight Crime, Shoot First
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    When there is a gun I really, really want, I just sell my blood plasma.

[:0]

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pawn a gun to pay for that one if you want it bad enough.
    It will then wind up costing you $290 providing you take care of the pawn ticket within 30 days.

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • TwoDogsTwoDogs Member Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JuJU,
    Idea...
    I'm a dealer....I buy the rifle it's shipped to me.
    When your flush I sell you the rifle...same price plus shipping costs.
    If you decide later you don't want it..I will sell it.
    No loans..straightforward deal...round-a-bout lay-a-way.
    Shipping I would not think would be over $20 bucks or so both ways.
    Just need a FFL daler on your end to get it back to you.

Twodogs

"Always drink upstream from the herd"
    Will Rogers
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    2dogs is a mighty fine feller!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Yeah, the Florida FFL dealers I've shipped to charge 40 bucks or more per gun. If you want it buy it. Worry about paying the electric bill or something equally less vital at the end of the month. Personally, the 303 British ain't much in the way of a caliber when you can shoot a 308.If it is the particular gun you are smitten with then you gotta do what a gun nut's gotta do. Coincidentally, I'm in the market for a single shot 45/70.[:D]

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • poolshotpoolshot Member Posts: 548 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mike. See if he will trade you for my Marlin 44 mag
    if he says yes .Do it and we will talk later. Duke[8]
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice offers from the fellows. If you still don't want to take them up on it, keep your custom knife and sell the 45/70. They're pretty common or you could just order a new one.
    Must be one heck of an Enfield.

What men call a hero...is merely a man who is seen doing what a brave man does as a matter of course.
    A man who is in love with learning is a man who is never without a bride, for there is always more. L'Amour
  • TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    The Longbranch is the Cadillac of Enfields. If it is as nice as you say. The price seems right. Last nice Longbranch I came across was $275.00.
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    In the field, the .303 Brit compares quite favorably to the .30-06, which, as everyone knows, is superior in all respects to the .308.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    JuJu I know you said you do not do layaways but sometimes a man has to go against his normal principals. One layaway might not be a bad idea since it is something you really want. If it were me and I knew I would have the money in the amount of time for a layaway then I would put it on layaway. As to selling your 45/70, if you have more than one then maybe you should explore that avenue. 45/70s are easier to find than a Longbranch! Just my 2 cents worth for what it is worth.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Doug, have you recently had a head injury. The slow moving, drops like a rock tied to a lead weight 303 shouldn't be allowed in the same sentence with the 06. I was being kind mentioning it with the 308.Get some ice on that bump, you're delerious.[:D]

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
    edited November -1
    You guys are the best!!!!!!!

I am thinking about a couple of your offers now. I dont like to borrow and since some of you have offered to either buy/trade for my 45/70 or buy and hold the rifle till I can afford it(maybe a month, month and a 1/2) I may do this.

I know the .303 is not the most powerful round out there but I have always wanted one and most I see are either the ISHAPORE or are in rough shape. This rifle is beautiful and I would like to add it to my collection. Since I already shoot a .300 winmag and a 45/70 (I have 3, 2 levers and a single shot)I could part with one and I dont mind a slightly underpowered round in the .303, besides the NAZI's in WWII didnt think is was too weak[:D]

I appreciate the offers (specially you poolshot, I gotta call you anyway on another issue, shoot me your phone number again please).

I will sleep on it tonight and let you know what I am going to do, once again thanks for the thoughts/opinions and offers to help.

JuJu(you folks really are the best)
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Gee,

I got a warm fuzzy feeling all over just reading this post. [:I]

Good job fellows......

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have learned that, when my instincts tell me I should buy it, I should, even if I have to put it on the plastic. I've screwed up several times and missed out on some mighty sweet deals, and I regret them every day---one of which, ironically, was a long Enfield much like the one you're describing. My advice: GO PAWN SOMETHING YOU DON'T NEED (OR SHOOT VERY OFTEN) AND DO *NOT* LET THAT BABY SLIP THROUGH YOUR FINGERS! You'll be kicking yourself for many days to come if you do!
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    BDJ, the FFLs here in Florida only charge the YANKEEs 40 bucks,, I have one that does it for free, and another does it for 20.00

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • poolshotpoolshot Member Posts: 548 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have mail.[8]
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    First off,I've never heard of a "Pawn Shop"
    that doesn't do layaways.The length of time
    they allow may vary,depending on $$$$$ involved,
    but I've seen them go from anywhere from 2-6 months.

You obviously have a burning desire to own this gun,
    but if your unable to borrow from a freind,or take up
    an offer from one of us here to help,then I'd tell
    the pawn shop dude to stick it where the sun don't shine!

IMHO
    BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
    edited November -1
    drobs, the one on the link you posted is a mismatched gun, bolt and receiver dont have the same serial number, its also a 1945 model. The one I am thinking about getting is all matching, even the stock and is a 1950 model. The one in the link you posted is also import marked. The one I am looking at is not. Lot of difference in the two guns.

Or are you inferring something else?
    If so, well you dont know me very well do you, so be a good lad and run along before you get into mischief.

if not then thanks for the heads up but I am not interested in that particlular gun.

JuJu(who can supply you with the phone and address of the dealer with the one I want if you would like)
    edited November -1
    bobbywyns, the shop in question is the one I work at part time, I currently have a generator on layaway with him and thats why I cant layaway another item. He only allows one at a time ( at least with me) I buy/work off so much stuff from there and want so much else that he gets in that he wont allow me to have more than one item at a time on layaway.(its for my own good[:(]) Keeps me from trying to hoard all the good stuff for myself and keeps me from spending to much. Gotta remember I have known this guy for 12 years and he knows me, he really is doing me a favor by not letting me get everything I want out of his shop by putting it on layaway, heck I'd have every gun that hit the floor on layaway if I could and be in debt to him forever trying to pay it all off.

JuJu(we cant always get what we want, but if we try somtimes....[;)])
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,613 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by juju
    drobs, the one on the link you posted is a mismatched gun, bolt and receiver dont have the same serial number, its also a 1945 model. The one I am thinking about getting is all matching, even the stock and is a 1950 model. The one in the link you posted is also import marked. The one I am looking at is not. Lot of difference in the two guns.

Or are you inferring something else?
    If so, well you dont know me very well do you, so be a good lad and run along before you get into mischief.

if not then thanks for the heads up but I am not interested in that particlular gun.

JuJu(who can supply you with the phone and address of the dealer with the one I want if you would like)

Not sure what you're implying but is it kinky???[:0][:0]

Seriously now, I'd hold off on this one. Another one will come along.

Regards,
    190191.gif
  • TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    Juju tell him you are putting it on layaway for me[;)][:D]
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it is in el-primo shape as you say and all matching numbers that price is in reason but have seen them for less. If it is what you know it is and you want it the guy will work with you to get it......heck, it sounds like he has a guaranteed long term customer anyways.

The British .303 is not a 30-06 nor a .308 but it is the British .303, a round which I would not want to get hit with. It has effectively brought down big game and enemy soldiers for nearly 100 years and is still being widely used in the sport field and third world battlefields...........there must be a reason.

The last four deer I took was with a .303 and they dropped in their tracks at ranges from 50yds +/- to 125yds +/-. Those ugly beater rifles you see for sale in the magazines are highly underestimated. With a little searching you can find real nice condition .303 Enfields that make excellent sporters or military restoration pieces for less than $100.00! In my opinion the Enfiled is the AK of the older bolt action military rifles..........it takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    juju,
    Sounds like it's a good thing that he likes you enough
    to protect you from yourself[:D],but as gunpaq mentioned,
    It seems that if you really,really,really want it,you two
    could work something out.

Good luck,
    BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.