In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I'm . . . PUMPED!! (BIG TIME goody)

IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
edited June 2003 in General Discussion
I'm not going into the delivery details, but I just had an overseas friend arrange for me to receive two .54 Starr Carbine rimfire cartridges. These are super scarce in the US. The only significant stash is in another nation. Shortly after the Civil War, an American seal hunting vessel pulled into a harbor there. One of the crew fell for (& married) a local and left the ship, taking his rifle and ammo. His remaining ammo constitutes more than 50% of the specimens known to exist. As I said, two of them came into my hands today and they are about impossible to obtain Stateside! Oh, yeah, I am bleeping high! And, no, they are *not* for sale!!!!!!! I cannot bleeping believe how lucky I was to obtain these. Think Colt three digit serial number for equivalent rarity. OOHRAH!!!!!! In the picture below, the top cartridge is the .56-56 Spencer, the bottom the .56-50 Spencer and the middle the gem .54 Starr. Oh, yeah, I am excited.

54_StarrCompar.jpg

Comments

• Options
    headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    seems like a good find for you congrats
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you need some time alone in the bathroom[:D][:D][:D]

email.gif
  • Options
    bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    When are you gonna shoot them? hee hee

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Options
    edited November -1
    When I hit the Powerball, bigdaddy, and not before!
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Karma[8D]

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how about telling us the rounds developmental history, when it was 1st used, what gun it was used in, were it saw action, production numbers, etc...???(congatulations!!!)best regards, mike.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
  • Options
    bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In dollar terms what is that gem worth?[:p]

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • Options
    outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Such elation brings a smile here! Curious about your dads opinion on your hobby. My dad thinks I'm a nut for owning so many 22's, I mean you know, from his logic you can only shoot one at a time. [^]
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I really enjoy your posts Iconoclast.[^]
    If you don't mind me asking,just how many
    different cartridges do you have and how
    long have you been collecting?

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Bolthandle, I'd rather not provide an estimate, but less than a quality firearm.

outdoor, my parents are deceased, but my Dad thought it sort of neat and better than some of things I could have done.

Bobby, I really don't have a census, largely because I have been selling off most of the items I picked up which are outside the area in which I decided to concentrate . . . but of the material I expect to keep, something on the order of 3 - 5,000 specimens in a relatively specialized niche (US military .60 and under is 90% of it). I've been collecting about 30 years, having decided early on that space and money would not allow me to pursue such a broad range of firearms.
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    That's interesting.
    Keep it up,I'm certainly not a
    cartridge expert but I really enjoy
    your 'ID' games.[^][^][^][^][^][^]

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.