In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Church service; y'all will like this

TangoSierraTangoSierra Member Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2008 in General Discussion
Went to church yesterday as I usually do but instead of going to the 8:30 service I went to the 11:00 service. The service was the annual 4th of July patriotic service. There was a flag presentation by The Sons of the American Reveloution in full period dress, a video presentation of photos of current and past members when they were in the armed forces and playing of the theme of each branch of the armed forces by the organ and a small orchestra. The chior and congregation sang christian hymns with patriotic themes, recited the pledge of allegience and sang The Star Spangled Banner. The senior pastor gave a short patriotic sermon and the chior sang several anthems. It was a beautiful and rousing service. I could'nt help but notice that in all of the songs that the chior sang had somewhere in them, the music and or words from Battle Hymn of the Republic. Being a southerner by birth and still living in the South, Battle Hymn has always kind of gotten under my skin. The music director at our church is a local boy who I did not know previously but when he went off in pursuit of being a Christian rock star, his travels took him to Mississippi, Georgia, and Louisiana. At the conclusion of the service the minister gave the benediction and walked up the center aisle to the front door to greet people as they left. At that point, the music director left his podium to go to the piano to play the postlude. Everyone had turned to the back of the sanctuary and had began to file out as the music director began to play DIXIE as the postlude! Almost in unison, the great majority of the congregation stopped, turned around, looked to the front and broke out into a broad grin. Everyone's spirits were lifted and you could see what they felt in their hearts. I know that this is kind of long but I think it shows how a lot of people feel these days.

Comments

• Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a very inspirational service!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Our church back east had a very patriotic Sunday around the 4th...the colors were presented from all branches of the service...it was very moving.
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    At the rate it's going, if you have a flag in church, or a patriotic service, they will try to have your tax exempt status revoked claiming your being political.[V]

I would have enjoyed your service![:D]
  • Options
    B&G ClingerB&G Clinger Member Posts: 1,789 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will never forget the Memorial service we had a couple years ago. My senior pastor was very patriotic,and not just wind either. he spent some time in Vietnam. He had arranged to have a memorial built in the front of the church to honor all those who payed the ultimate price in service who lived in our county. The names of everyone who lived in our county, and killed in the line of duty from (I think) WWI to present are engraved on it. One Sunday immediately following the morning service he asked everyone to walk out to the monument. While we stood there remembering those who have gone on before 2 A-10 thunder bolts made a very low level fly by. It was amazing and I will never forget it.
  • Options
    TangoSierraTangoSierra Member Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dheffley
    At the rate it's going, if you have a flag in church, or a patriotic service, they will try to have your tax exempt status revoked claiming your being political.[V]

I would have enjoyed your service![:D]

Thanks Danny... I thought the same thing. However we did have the Christian flag and recited the pledge to the Christian flag. Does that help us any? [:D]
  • Options
    victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    I know i'm going to come across as jaded and don't care what the preacher does,says, or thinks. I just want the freedom i had back in 1966, when i got discharged. I could hunt the river and shoot my rifles a mile or less out of town. I was not thought of as a good vet back then , but i had alot more freedom. The kudos piled on the vets now a days can never make up for the freedom that has been lost. Just my two cents worth.