In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Now what Bush haters?

TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
WASHINGTON - The White House, facing election-year questions about President Bush's (search) military service, is releasing pay records and other information intended to support his assertion that he fulfilled his duty as a member of the Air National Guard (search) during the Vietnam war.

The material, to be released Tuesday, was to include pay records and annual retirement point summaries to show that Bush served.

"These records clearly document that the president fulfilled his duty," White House press secretary Scott McClellan said.

The point summaries were released during the 2000 presidential campaign but the pay records were not obtained by the White House until late Monday from the Air Reserve Personnel Center in Denver, Colo., McClellan said. He said the center, apparently acting on its own, reviewed Bush's records and came up with the pay information.

"It was our impression from the Texas Air National Guard - they stated they didn't have them," he said. "It was also our impression those records didn't exist." Bush on Sunday authorized the release of his Guard records. McClellan said the latest material apparently is all of Bush's records.

The pay information documented the dates when Bush showed up for Guard duty, the spokesman said. "You are paid for the dates you served," McClellan added.

Bush's military record was raised as an issue in the 2000 campaign and was revived this year by Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe (search), who called Bush "AWOL" - absent without leave - during a period of his service when he was in Alabama.

Asked if the records should end the controversy about Bush's service, McClellan said, "You have to ask those who made these outrageous accusations if they stand by them in the face of this documentation that demonstrates he served and fulfilled his duties."

Bush enlisted in the Texas Air National Guard in 1968 shortly before graduating from Yale University.

Questions have been raised about whether family connections helped him get into the Guard when there were waiting lists for what was seen as an easy billet. Bush says no one in his family pulled strings and that he got in because others didn't want to commit to the almost two years of active duty required for fighter pilot training.

A central issue is whether he showed up for duty while assigned to Guard units in Alabama, where he worked on a political campaign in 1972. "There may be no evidence, but I did report," Bush told NBC's "Meet the Press" on Sunday. "Otherwise, I wouldn't have been honorably discharged."

Another question is why he was allowed to end Guard duty about six months early to attend Harvard Business School. Bush said on NBC that he had "worked it out with the military. And I'm just telling you, I did my duty."

McClellan said the White House would release statements - previously distributed - from Albert Lloyd Jr., who was personnel director for the Texas Air National Guard from 1969 to 1995 and who reviewed Bush's military records at the request of his campaign four years ago.

Lloyd has said that Bush's early discharge was not uncommon for pilots or other crewmen who were to leave soon and had been trained on now-obsolete jets, as was Bush's case.

This just came off the FOX news sight.

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."(Proverbs 22:6)

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah, I just read the same on Yahoo. Bushy still does not have the distinquished service record of Kerry. Funny how it has now appeared out of the blue after others had been looking for it before.. HUMMM........
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And, Bush doesn't have Kerry's distinguished record as a liberal war protester, who doctored up his war record at the expense of his own men ether..[}:)]

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."(Proverbs 22:6)
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Personally, I have never been concerned about the whole was he awol, was he not controversy.
    My beef with GW is his big government liberal agenda.

And why dont you cheerleaders get over using the word "hate" to describe the dissent expressed about GW. I doubt anyone who has expressed disapporval "hates" the man.
    You sound like a 4 year old when you use such words.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't really give a plugged nickel for either one of 'em right now, regardless of their alleged military backgrounds....
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry--you can't go AWOL in the National Guard. You're not under the UCMJ in the National Guard unless you are activated under Federal Orders. You are a "soldier" one weekend/month. You're a civilian the rest of the month. A guardsman could bump into his Platoon Sergeant at the bar and tell him to go *&^(*& himself and there's nothing the National Guard could do.

Aside from the fact that Bush COULDN'T have been "AWOL" (not legally possible), the whole story was based on a conversation that someone had with some idiot weekend warrior officer who backtracked all over himself when the Boston Globe tracked him down to follow up the story.

When it comes to picking a President, SCREW the service record. It doesn't matter what someone did during a time of war. I didn't care that Clinton was a draft dodger and I didn't care that he smoked a joint. What matters when picking an elected official is what they did AFTER the war was over.

I wouldn't vote for McCain in spite of his POW status. He has urinated all over the constitution ever since he came back to the states.

Forget the service record. Examine the individual's record for actions that actually set the tone for policy that will be enacted while the individual is in office. Service record be damned.
    edited November -1
    Funny how Bush is following the Dems around the country... He is appearing in Every state AFTER the Dems having the primaries. Trying to boost his own ego. Didn't work here in SC . Hardly anyone showed up, and the news gave him maybe 10 seconds of T.V. time. America is fed up with him. Only 265 days till election day !!
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    "Examine the individual's record for actions that actually set the tone for policy that will be enacted while the individual is in office."

How's about how the person behaved while IN office? Bush's record in office is one of neglect to the point of criminality, ineptitude, finger-pointing, chest-thumping, and over all incompetence.

Thank you, I'll take my chances with someone else.
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Trinity,
    ya can't win on this no matter what. The naysayers will just switch to another line as witnessed by s-f's post.

No offence select-, you have your own opinion. Others have theirs.

Seems the 36-day make-good on time doesn't change attitudes that are against GWB, neither will "ALL" the records...
    Select-fire's quote: "Bushy still does not have the distinquished service record of Kerry." Of course GWB didn't attend anti-war meetings either! Or, throw away medals/ribbons!

As an older man, who did, and didn't do a lot of things in my youth...I look back and say...
    Irresponsible youth? Hmmm, how about irresponsible middle-age? [;)]

W'hell, I'm almost sixty, and the wife will tell ya I'm not much different now! [:D]

We all make mistakes, we all have different levels of guilt to bear...it's just that when we disagree with someone else's actions that we don't like to start with, well, they're unforgivable while our own misdeeds are sorta hid in the shadows. [;)]
    edited November -1
    Outdoor, I respect everyones opinion on here. I simply stated the facts on Bush following the Dems around the country. He has appeared in each primary state just a few days after the vote. In my opinion he is on the ropes stuggling to gain the American peoples confindence back. He might.. but not mine.
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    Only 265 days till election day SF. After that you will have to
    endure another 4 years of Bush.

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not,
    and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    EMM--Although we may disagree about Bush's criminality WHILE in office, you now actually have a valid platform from which to argue your points. Granted, criminal activity prior to holding office is an important issue to raise. However, none of this can legally stick to Bush nor would it stick even if he was a common "Joe Citizen" like you and me.
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    As of 1:25 P.M. today, the material is not yet available on the 'net.[;)]

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
    edited November -1
    SALZO,

I'm not 4, I'm 47, and after listening to what all the Democrats who are running to get the nomination of their party are saying about GW, hate is all I see in them. Have you seen Al Gore's recent ranting? Was that supposed to be an example of maturity? I don't follow, just read all the postings around here that are anti Bush. They sound like hate speech that was written by the likes of Michael Moore. Look, I'll vote for the best candidate. But, I will not vote for someone who will trounce my rights. I put my right to own a gun high on the list of all my most treasured rights. Every single person who is running against Bush does not pass the litmus test. They have some of the most rabid anti gun folks known to man supporting them. That sends the wrong signal to someone like me. I could care less about your service record. It's what you stand for that counts. I'm sure there are many good soldiers's serving their country in combat right now that will run for political office someday. And if they take a stand to relieve me of my guns then I will not vote for them ether.

Your right outdoortexas...[V]

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TrinityScrimshaw
    SALZO,

Look, I'll vote for the best candidate. But, I will not vote for someone who will trounce my rights. I put my right to own a gun high on the list of all my most treasured rights.

If you will not vote for someone who will "trounce on your rights", then you should not vote for Bush.
    Bush does not hold the second amedment/gun rights in high esteem. And I seem to remember him signing into law the greatest threat to the first amendment that has come down the pike in a long time.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's good that you place your Second Amendment rights high on your personal priority list. But you say you won't vote for someone who will "trounce your rights". What has Bush really done for you--or me--or anyone else in this area? The Bush Administration, under HIS leadership, inflicted the brilliantly-concieved "Patriot Acts" on us all. What's that done for our rights? It allows the Feds to snoop into your life with an unparalleled lack of judicial or legal restraint. Your financial records, your library-loan records, your travel itinerary, your purchases from a bookstore---ALL of it can be viewed without the irritating requirement of reasonable suspicion by the simple expedient of a Fed somewhere deciding to say that you're a "person of interest" in a "terrorism" investigation. No warrants, no judicial review, nothing. Gestapo tactics at their finest, and diametrically opposed to the very core-concepts of freedom this country was founded upon. And what if the Feds decide to take things further? All they have to do is accuse you of being a "terrorist" or "providing aid or information" to same, and viola! Arrest and detention without due process or legal representation. They don't even have to charge you with anything specific. If they DO try you for something, they'll do it in a "military tribunal", contrary to all the concepts of due process that used to be held important in this country. Doesn't THAT sound like a "trouncing" of your rights? And how about that nifty Federal no-fly list that so many people are now finding themselves on? I have a friend whose old, retired father just found out that he's on the magic list as a "code yellow", which means he has to endure repeated searches and questioning whenever he flies. Is he a Muslim? Nope. Is he Middle Eastern? Nope. Has he ever made terroristic threats against anyone? Nope. Does he have ANY idea why he's on the list? Nope. Will anyone TELL him why he's on the list? Nope. And who does he have to thank for this insanity? The Bush Administration, through its "Patriot Act". Go ahead, tell me I'm just spouting "hate speech" against Bush. I know better. I'm just spelling out some of the horrors that have been passed into law under his watch, and if telling the truth is "hate speech" against our glorious leader in your eyes, then so be it. But PLEASE, don't try to paint Bush and his pals as saintly defenders of the Bill of Rights when we have monstrosities like Patriots I and II staring us in the face, because the simple FACT of their (the Acts) existence proves otherwise.
  • BlackieBoogerBlackieBooger Member Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't remember Bush traveling around with Jane Fonda and helping the Viet Cong and North vietnam by bad mouthing our country and servicemen like Kerry did. And some people on this forum are calling Kerry a war hero. For what country ours or North Vietnam?

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, not liberty to purchase power."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
    edited November -1
    Maybe Kerry will ask JF to run with him for VP. Wouldn't be real good, but at least better than what we have now..
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going to keep my mouth shut

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
    edited November -1
    Funny thing, I have more guns now then I did before Bush was elected. Anyone around here have any guns taken from them lately?[:(!]

You will not have to worry about Jane Fonda being that Scum Bags John Kerry's running mate. The next best thing to her will be Hillary, and after that it's John Edwards, the self imposed king of the SOUTH.

Trinity +++

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."<BR>(Proverbs 22:6)
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HAIRY
    As of 1:25 P.M. today, the material is not yet available on the 'net.[;)]

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.

Go here Hairy,

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/021004_bushmil.pdf

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by salzo
    If you will not vote for someone who will "trounce on your rights", then you should not vote for Bush.

Are you saying Kerry and his record are better? Or, are you saying he won't be any worse than Bush?

Or heck, exactly what are you saying?

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7mm nut
    I'm going to keep my mouth shut

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif

Exactly 7mmnut! One thing I've learned around here is to stay out of the political debates. Seems to really exersize the deamons in GBer's![}:)][:0][:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TrinityScrimshaw
    Funny thing, I have more guns now then I did before Bush was elected. Anyone around here have any guns taken from them lately?[:(!]

Ohh is that the standard? As long as he didnt go and knock on your door and take your guns away, and as long as you are able to buy more guns, then he is alright.
    How many of your guns were taken during the Clinton years? And I am sure you were unable to get moe guns during the reign of that big gun grabber Clinton.

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    Now what Bush haters? Are people who don't hate Bush allowed to respond or by responding do you affirm your hatred? Perplexing isn't it! I love Bush, I have ever sense I was old enough to know what to do with one.[:D]

Bush isn't perfect, far from it, but he's a far cry better than Al Gore. All you people who want to onager about WMD's and that Bush mislead the American people need to take a look at the facts. The facts are that the democraps had the same exact inteligeance, and I use that term lightly, information that Bush had and most, including the former president, came to the same conclusion that Iraq had WMD's. Now you have Al Gore, the same Al Gore that accepted illegal campaine contributions from the Chinese government at that Buhdist temple in California, screaming about Bush misleading the country. Where is his credability? Does everyone forget that he was part of the most corrupt administration that ever existed in the history of the United States? And what about Kerry, do you really believe he is some messiah that will deliver us out of bondage? Pa-lease, he comes from the same exact mold that produced Ted Kennedy. He is an a-typical far left liberal scumbag that will do nothing but raise your taxes, instrict more and farther reaching gun control measures and create new and inventive ways to expand the federal government.
    No, Bush isn't perfect, but, the alternatives are terrifying.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4G&C, ever hear the saying, "Blind Rage"?

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 4GodandCountry
    [
    All you people who want to onager about WMD's and that Bush mislead the American people need to take a look at the facts.
    who said anything about that? I did not see one post about that particular topic.

-Jimmy the cheese man
  • joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So, just what in hell is AWOL. Many, many servicemen good servicemen
    have been AWOL for one reason or another. In fact, I did once on,
    returning home from ETO in WW 2. Got to Camp Kilmer for discharge and
    asked for a overnight pass and was refused it. Walked out the gate and
    just went home overnight (about 30 miles away) and returned early.
    No one missed me. Guess I could not run for president as my family
    and friends knew it. O.K. Vets, how many of you were late returning
    from a pass or furlough and did not make it on time. Or were you AWOL??
    Far as "heroes" are, most "heroes" are burried over there. Just my .02
    cents as a combat Inf. Vet from ww 2.
    edited November -1
    No Bill Clinton didn't take any of my guns, but he sure put more restrictions on my attempts to get more. He also brought us closer to a national gun registration then anyone else has. And, don't worry about someone knocking on your door to come and take your guns. Being an LEO of the federal variety I will know ahead of time and you can be sure that I will be screaming from the top of my lungs when that day comes. You will know the day that happens.[;)]

Trinity +++

• woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    "a-typical far left liberal scumbag"....hmmm, does that mean that Bush is a typical far right conservative defender of the rights and freedoms of the average citizen? The patron saint of the working man who's scared of losing his job or being unable to keep up his mortgage payments? Is Bush a good-ole-boy just like the rest of us? I don't think anybody can predict what Gore would have done re:Iraq. Perhaps he would have continued the status quo which now seems like it would have worked to keep Iraq from being a direct threat to the US after all. The events of the past few days are really perplexing. If the intelligence community failed so miserably, why is GT still in charge of the CIA? I hope people don't get distracted by the National Guard controversy. The focus needs to be on the war and the economy.
    edited November -1
    woodshermit,

Very well said.[8D]

Trinity +++

• whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I read what Senator Kerry had to say about me in front of a Senate Committee in 1971. He has lost every bit of the respect I had for him and I'd spit on his medals given the chance.

I did not rape, indiscriminately shoot innocent civilians, wantonly destroy villages, poison food supplies or any of the atrocities that he alleged. Nor did I know anyone who did those things. And he said he understood they happened on a daily basis. To assert so under oath and without dissent is a disgrace.

Clouder..
  • babybearbabybear Member Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Uh, O.K.,sorry to interfere with that big grin, but if you'd like to check it a little closer, please explain to us how he was paid for ONLY 9 DAYS between May '72 and May '74. Now obviously he WAS'NT THERE,WAS HE? Also was discharged early so he could go to harvard. Our fathers, brothers, and sons should be so lucky!!! Want a link? You have but to ask. ......Molly the x-republican
  • muggstermuggster Member Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trstone
    It's good that you place your Second Amendment rights high on your personal priority list. But you say you won't vote for someone who will "trounce your rights". What has Bush really done for you--or me--or anyone else in this area? The Bush Administration, under HIS leadership, inflicted the brilliantly-concieved "Patriot Acts" on us all. What's that done for our rights? It allows the Feds to snoop into your life with an unparalleled lack of judicial or legal restraint. Your financial records, your library-loan records, your travel itinerary, your purchases from a bookstore---ALL of it can be viewed without the irritating requirement of reasonable suspicion by the simple expedient of a Fed somewhere deciding to say that you're a "person of interest" in a "terrorism" investigation. No warrants, no judicial review, nothing. Gestapo tactics at their finest, and diametrically opposed to the very core-concepts of freedom this country was founded upon. And what if the Feds decide to take things further? All they have to do is accuse you of being a "terrorist" or "providing aid or information" to same, and viola! Arrest and detention without due process or legal representation. They don't even have to charge you with anything specific. If they DO try you for something, they'll do it in a "military tribunal", contrary to all the concepts of due process that used to be held important in this country. Doesn't THAT sound like a "trouncing" of your rights? And how about that nifty Federal no-fly list that so many people are now finding themselves on? I have a friend whose old, retired father just found out that he's on the magic list as a "code yellow", which means he has to endure repeated searches and questioning whenever he flies. Is he a Muslim? Nope. Is he Middle Eastern? Nope. Has he ever made terroristic threats against anyone? Nope. Does he have ANY idea why he's on the list? Nope. Will anyone TELL him why he's on the list? Nope. And who does he have to thank for this insanity? The Bush Administration, through its "Patriot Act". Go ahead, tell me I'm just spouting "hate speech" against Bush. I know better. I'm just spelling out some of the horrors that have been passed into law under his watch, and if telling the truth is "hate speech" against our glorious leader in your eyes, then so be it. But PLEASE, don't try to paint Bush and his pals as saintly defenders of the Bill of Rights when we have monstrosities like Patriots I and II staring us in the face, because the simple FACT of their (the Acts) existence proves otherwise.

trstone,you seem to be one of the few enlightened individuals on here that can see the big picture.Congrats[;)]

Muggster
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    I'm not trying to defend Kerry, but, I, too, have read Kerry's "Testimony Before The Senate Foreign Relations Committee, April 22, 1971". When Kerry talks about the daily atrocities mentioned by clouder, Kerry is referring specifically to an investigation of 150 veterans and their testimony; he's not denigrating ALL veterans. His testimony is about the fallacy of the policies of the United States and not an attack on veterans. There were over 2.5 million men and women who served in Vietnam, including myself, and I don't feel offended by what he is saying that 150 veterans related. There have been a lot of lies told about Vietnam; sure, there were atrocities committed by individuals and units. That sort of thing happens in any war. Read his testimony from 1971 and you will see parallels to what is happening today in Iraq.