In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

National Guard/Reserves

rocktonrockton Member Posts: 551 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
What is your opinion of individuals who joined the Guard or Reserves during the Vietnam Conflict.

Enough said.

Thanks

Rockton

ER 13990568

Comments

• PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    I would have to say it depends why they joined. A lot of guardsmen from the 60s-70s got a really bad rap, because so many joined to avoid the draft. I am in the guard now, and i know this sounds ridiculus, but I am hoping to get deployed. I am also considering going active as soon as i graduate from college.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    During the VN era, I believe that, by far, those who joined the Guard were trying to avoid the draft and being sent to VN. Where I lived in Virginia, you could not get into the Guard because there was a long waiting list. Exceptions were made, of course, depending on your connections. I think a LOT of young men joined the Air Force or Navy in an attempt to at least avoid combat if not service in VN. There was a waiting list for the Coast Guard, also. It is unfair to compare today's National Guard to the Guard of the 60s and 70s. Hindsight can easily be 20-20.