In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Explain this AUCTION phenomenon

Dr. HollidayDr. Holliday Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Why do so many members on here refer to Ebay by derogatory names in one sentence, and then turn around and admit they just sold this or bought that on there???? Seems like a love/hate relationship to me.

Comments

• Dr. HollidayDr. Holliday Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's what I thought....no explanation[:D][:D]
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Fleabay like MalWart are necessary evils, kinda like girlfriends and wives.[:D]

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • REBJrREBJr Member Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't done a search, but I don't remember saying anything about them. I buy and sell there. Hate their TV commercials if that makes any difference. Some say they are anti-gun, I'm not sure, seems to me that they have moved or had their buisness moved by purchasers, in a different direction than firearms. I doubt GB would be here if Ebay allowed firearm auctions, so is it all that bad?
    Some say boycott them due to this, but thats just stupid. How are you going to hurt them by doing that? Its their policy, and its their buisness. Anyone that doesn't like it needs to start their own internet auction site and run it the way they see fit.
    Ohio has a new CCW law comes in on 4-9-04, some docs I know and have shot with already have signs up in their offices prohibiting firearms. Should I boycott them? Refuse to shoot with them. No, and I won't. I love guns as much as the next guy, probably more, but I am not allowing firearms on any of my trucks. Doesn't make sense to me from a liability standpoint.
    Besides, I see too many idiots with drivers licenses allowed to drive. Most folks use a car like a weapon, don't believe me, grab a stop/slow paddle and stand on the road sometime. I hate to think of these same people with CC firearms myself.
    To each their own
    -Ralph

In the demonstable absence of evolutionary perfection, if some calamity is not to occur, we shall have to learn to live with ourselves as we are. Fast. -Tattersall
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boy Reb, you ought to be a politcion. You took that one for a ride around the block and never stopped at the store. What was the question again?

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    I use ebay both to buy and sell. In fact, since I was laid off last year, it has been a big supplement to my income. People complain with some justification about the fees, reserve auctions, etc., but, ebay has opened up a lot of markets worldwide and until somebody comes along with a better idea, then, ebay will be around. As for the gunbroker auctions, it, too, has its own set of issues: fees, fees, more fees, misrepresented items, etc. I've been trying to buy a particular rifle that has been advertised twice and each time I've contacted the seller asking if he actually has it in his store for delivery and both times he says no, but, he can order it. Well, so can my local dealer(s). I doubt that any online auction is ever going to satisfy everyone.
  • REBJrREBJr Member Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dcon12
    Sorry, must be one of those days. I seem to be 2 sentences ahead of everyone I talk to today! -Ralph
    [:D][:D][:D][:D]

In the demonstable absence of evolutionary perfection, if some calamity is not to occur, we shall have to learn to live with ourselves as we are. Fast. -Tattersall
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Reb, it made perfect sense to me...I use the service regularly because I couldn't pursue the hobbie of pocket knife collecting without it, on the other hand I don't like some of their policies.
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always thought you weren't allowed to refer to other auction sites on this board. That's why people call it things such as E-spay.

10-X.jpg
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
    edited November -1
    Whoops, sorry, I didn't know that there was a board policy re: auction sites. I thought the only thing forbidden was making negative comments about B**h, disagreeing with anything r***t of center, not liking ***s.

Seriously, I wasn't aware of a policy regarding other auction sites. Surely nobody would know what was being discussed if something was referred to as ***y.
  • RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    what's ebay?

It's a section of cost line Stretching from San Francisco to Los Angles where there is limited ocean fishing and all the City sewage gets dumped.

(Sarcasm at its best you heard it here first) [:D] bad part its true!

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    you will be sure to hit it"
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    [img][/img]
  • MaCTMaCT Member Posts: 276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How many members here sell on *-Bay? Should post your auction names so we can check them out! {yes i've spent way too much there [:I]}.

~ Give Blood - Play Hockey ~
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:posted at 5:20
    Why do so many members on here refer to Ebay by derogatory names in one sentence, and then turn around and admit they just sold this or bought that on there???? Seems like a love/hate relationship to me.
    quote:posted at 5:33
    That's what I thought....no explanation

Dr. Holliday,
    You post a question and wait 13 minutes?
    Count them.........thirteen minutes.
    Sorry we were not here to be at your beckon call.
    If you are not willing to give people a chance to post an answer before
    YOU post a derogatory comment about this site and/or it`s members.
    Then you do not deserve an answer.
    I will feed this troll no more.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
    edited November -1
    **** names are closely guarded secrets. Almost like getting somebody to reveal their pin number.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,063 ******
    edited November -1
    I may be in error here, but I don't think "eBay" is a prohibited term or subject. Apparently, they are not a direct competitor of GB, unlike the other gun auction sites.

I call it "Fleabay," because it is like an online flea market.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • MaCTMaCT Member Posts: 276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshermit
    **** names are closely guarded secrets. Almost like getting somebody to reveal their pin number.

Like Pin numbers? Then how else would you find the auction {other then browsing}? Just thought since I would be bidding on items, might as well be from you guys\gals.

~ Give Blood - Play Hockey ~
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    I've bought so many accessories for my Harley off EB my friends call it the EbayHarley.

As a seller, I like GB better. GB doesn't have and
    'insertion fee.' GB doesn't charge you for selling unless your item actually sells. I also like GB's '15 minute rule.'

As a buyer, I like EB better because they DON'T have the '15 minute' rule. My friends also call me the 'EB Sniper.' A couple of years ago I was looking for a new quick-bob gas tank for my Harley. The dealer wanted $425.00, plus tax. I started looking on EB for one and found one listed from a private bike shop in Toledo, OH. I'm at my computer as the auction is winding down, hitting the refresh button often. With less than 15 seconds to go, I put in my bid of $325.00. Another guy had put in a bid of $255.00 at the end, but my 325 trumped him, and I got the tank for $260.00. I SNIPED that tank and got it for $165.00 less than the retail cost.

One other thing I like about EB better. You can email anyone registered with them through their email system. Before I sell an item, I research it on the site to see what the same item is selling for. Then, after I list my item, I can contact the 'losers' on ended auctions, asking them to look at mine. GB doesn't allow that type of contact.

Both GB and EB have policies I like and dislike. I use both of them to buy and sell. I ain't making a killing selling, but enough to buy a case of BudLight now and then.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you like fine collectable coins check out seller jazz72906 on fleabay.

10-X.jpg
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D]My name is the same knives are my game[:D][:D]

This will get poofed for sure now!!!
  • wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,067
    edited November -1
    I use ebay for selling and buying on a lot of non firearm items. I use the same user name there as here. I hate the no firearms rule over there but it's their sandbox so they get to make the rules. I just get pissed when I see someone breaking the rules but when I forget to mention the blade length in a switchblade auction I get a nasty email and get my auction canciled

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: And he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment, and buy one
  • Dr. HollidayDr. Holliday Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: Dr. Holliday,
    You post a question and wait 13 minutes?
    Count them.........thirteen minutes.
    Sorry we were not here to be at your beckon call.
    If you are not willing to give people a chance to post an answer before
    YOU post a derogatory comment about this site and/or it`s members.
    Then you do not deserve an answer.
    I will feed this troll no more.

I posted this because there had been a significant number of reads with no reply. The subject was quickly falling to the bottom, I felt it was a valid question, deserving of an answer. I'm sorry you felt I was talking directly to you Pickenup...of course you won't see this anyway so, I'm wasting my time....
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    I sell of Fleabay. Got 242 feedbacks. All positive, no negatives. Am I proud of my record, HELL YES. Some may ask how could ISP have a perfect feedback rating, why he is meaner than cat-turds? The answer is simple as it is time tested, I do whatever it takes to make my paying customers happy. They take care of me and I take care of them. That being said would I reveal my Fleabay name to the masses? Yeah right.[;)]

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
    edited November -1
    One reason I and others don't publicize ebay names: people watch what each other buys at public auctions and if somebody sees that I sold xyz for $600 on e**y and they know that I only paid $10 for it at last week's public auction then what are the chances that the next time I can get xyz for $10 or even $100?
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's like members of the opposite sex. Can't live with em. Can't have heterosexual relations without them.

dancing_spiderman.gif
    edited November -1
    ISP is correct in what he says in his post. I also have a perfect feedback rating and repeat customers. I describe what I sell in detail, provide the best possible photos, answer every query, do not tack on "handling" charges and make sure that every thing I ship is packed exactly the way I would want it to be packed for me. I always leave feedback for my buyers, too. There are a lot of strange folks out there and somebody could easily buy an inexpensive item and then give us a negative feedback. After awhile, one can easily spot and identify the dishonest sellers.