In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

The Highest Combat Medal?

trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
What is the highest combat medal you can receive?Is it the Purple Heart or the Medal of Honor?

Comments

• FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you serious?? In case you are, I know many purple heart recipients, no medal of honors.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hell yes I was serious.I didnt know thats why I asked.
  • jimkanejimkane Member Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Medal of Honor is the Highest award. I thought everyone knew this. The Purple Heart is awarded to all soldiers wounded by enemy action in a hostile zone. The MOH is awarded for supreme acts of heroism and valor. I myself have the Purple Heart (in case you couldn't tell from my graphic)

medal.gif27Nov2003 Samarra, Iraq
  • snarlgardsnarlgard Member Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    trust us
    there are lot of purple hearts
    (just means you forgot to duck)
    not many medal of honor winners

Lt. snarlgard RRG
    SMILE...MAKE EM WONDER WHAT YOUR UP TO[}:)]
    fcb9874f.jpg.thumb.jpgfc21ef6c.gif
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by snarlgard
    (just means you forgot to duck)

LMAO[:D][:D], hear that jimkane??[:p][:p]

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Purple Heart was originally the highest U.S. decoration for valor, back before the MOH was originated during the civil war.

I used to know a Purple Heart recipient who referred to it as the North Vietnamese Marksmanship Award.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Not all purple hearts were combat related. Shed a little blood in a combat "area" could have gotten it for some..

flageagle.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Not all purple hearts were combat related. Shed a little blood in a combat "area" could have gotten it for some..

flageagle.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    We have the medals of the man my youngest son is named after. He was killed in Korea and was my Great Uncle. He was awarded the Purple heart and Silver Star POSTHUMOUS! He was killed at the same battle and day as a Medal of Honor recieptant from Coco FL. I was in during peace time in late 70s early 80s.

"we are but men... no more, no less..."
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    There may be a couple or so MOH guys still in active duty from the Vietnam era. Does anyone know? They used to get a monthly stipend ($100, last I heard)for life. I think most MOHs awarded were posthumous. I do know that it used to be a tradition for everyone, regardless of rank, to salute MOH wearers. I believe the last ones awarded (2) were to a couple of Delta guys killed in Somalia.
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Isn't the MOH also some times refered to as "the button" or some thing like that is service slang?

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    My mom has a set of books about WW2. Her first husband was killed in Italy, in the Po Valley, just before the war ended. He received the Purple Heart and Bronze Star, posthumously.

In one of the books it lists the MOH 'winners' in WW2. It's been awhile since I've looked the list over. But if my memory hasn't failed me too much, most of the 'winners' won the MOH by falling onto an enemy grenade to save the lives of their fellow soldiers.

I've often thought the 'ultimate sacrifice' is not giving your life for your country. The 'ultimiate sacrifice' is giving your life for your 'brothers in arms.'

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read This. It's Worth the Time.
    http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/moh1.htm

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    I've posted this link before, but if you didn't look then, take the time now. It really makes you realize just what some people have done so that we can live free.

http://www.homeofheros.com/a_homepage/community.html

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    The Purple Heart is not a "Medal", it is an award, granted to anyone sustaining an injury in a combat zone. It can be the result of a vehicle accident. It does not require any enemy action.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Not all MOH are awarded for combat duty. Lindberg was awarded the MOH. There were also a couple of MOH's won between WWI and WWI for peace time heroism. I knew two MOH winners personally. One received his award in Korea, he was from Alaska and I worked with his son on a fishing boat and the other in Vietnam.

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a time when they were handed out pretty easily. During the war for Southern Independence quite a few were awarded for enlisting.
    Sometime just after the turn of the twenteth century a large number of them were recended including as I recall the only one given to a woman.
    edited November -1
    Don't forget which side was handing out all those MOHs during the War Of Northern Aggression. Many were given for capturing a flag, which was probably significant under the circumstances. Like pretty much everything, there can be politics involved, decisions based on rank, etc. There are, however, stories of real heroism and sacrifice. Read about Shugart and Gordon in Mogadishu.
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This site has the stats for MOH winners.

http://www.army.mil/cmh-pg/mohstats.htm
  • EOD GuyEOD Guy Member Posts: 931
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    The Purple Heart is not a "Medal", it is an award, granted to anyone sustaining an injury in a combat zone. It can be the result of a vehicle accident. It does not require any enemy action.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911

The injury has to be the result of enemy action. A noncombat related injury does not qualify, even in a combat zone. If it did, I'd have four instead of one. If a person is injured in a vehicle accident caused by an enemy action, the injury qualifies. An uncle of mine broke his leg during WWII in a parachute landing. He was awarded the Purple Heart for the injury because the reason he made the parachute jump was that the aircraft he was piloting was shot down by a Japanese fighter.
  • jimkanejimkane Member Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, snarlgard and FrOg, you two tell me how to duck a piece of shrapnel while riding in a truck and I will give you my purple heart. [:p]

• snarlgardsnarlgard Member Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jimkane
    Ok, snarlgard and FrOg, you two tell me how to duck a piece of shrapnel while riding in a truck and I will give you my purple heart. [:p]

I was not knocking the fact that you recived a purple heart
    you have my respect for your time spent in the defence of our country
    but you have to agree that the purple heart is secondary to the medal of honor at least.

Lt. snarlgard RRG
    SMILE...MAKE EM WONDER WHAT YOUR UP TO[}:)]
    fcb9874f.jpg.thumb.jpgfc21ef6c.gif
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Three medals, awarded to Daniel Sickles, Henry Tremain, and Daniel Butterworth (the so-called "Sickles' Circle) forced the review of the process in 1897 .Because these high-ranking individuals had gained medals in questionable ways, and because of other abuses of the Civil War era medal nominations, the process of applying for a Medal of Honor was revised. In addition to standardizing the nomination process, eyewitness testimony was required so that the committee could reduce the number of inappropriate medals awarded.

The Purge of 1917

Perhaps the single most famous event associated with the Medal of Honor is the Purge of 1917. Originally convened in 1916 by Nelson Miles, himself a MOH awardee, the commission reviewed each of the Army medals awarded. Their report, presented in February, 1917, revoked the medals presented to 911 people including 864 medals awarded to the 27th Maine for re-enlisting and President Lincoln's funeral guard. Six medals awarded to civilians were revoked as well. Included in this group were Mary Walker, the only female awardee, and Buffalo Bill Cody, a scout and technically not a soldier during the Indian Wars.

For sixty years the revocation of the medals stood. Dr. Walker, who refused to return the medal as requested by the U. S. Army, proudly wearing it every day until she died. In 1977 President Jimmy Carter re-instated the award to Walker. It would be another 13 years before President George Bush re-instated the medals for Cody and five other scouts.
  • OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    aglore, more than a couple, I think. My cousin's husband's grandfather was one of them. Name: Ohmsen
    OleDuk
    edited November -1
    aglore, more than a couple, I think. My cousin's husband's grandfather was one of them. Name: Ohmsen
    OleDuk
    edited November -1
    Don't understand the double posts.
    OD
  • 357357 Member Posts: 403 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think Congressional Medal of honor is the highest honor.

Silver Star is the next highest

Then Bronze Star

Then I'm not sure.[:o)]

Correct me if I'm wrong about that.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 357
    I think Congressional Medal of honor is the highest honor.

Silver Star is the next highest

Then Bronze Star

Then I'm not sure.[:o)]

Correct me if I'm wrong about that.

This is the order of precedence for the Army (from AR 670-1). The other services will be generally the same with their versions of the same medal having precedence over the other services.

Medal of Honor
    Distinguished Service Cross
    Navy Cross
    Air Force Cross
    Defense Distinguished Service Medal
    Distinguished Service Medal (Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard)
    Silver Star
    Defense Superior Service Medal
    Legion of Merit
    Distinguished Flying Cross
    Soldier's Medal
    Navy and Marine Corps Medal
    Airman's Medal
    Coast Guard Medal
    Bronze Star Medal
    Purple Heart
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes. the last two went to Sgts Shuggart and Gordon for service in Somalia. Both awarded posthumously (see Blackhawk Down). Any living CMOH winner is saluted first, even if the wearer of the award is a private and the saluter is a general. The CMOH represents the soldier, sailor, marine, or airmens preformance of duty "above and beyond" and that they represent the finest in American fighting men or women, and this is honored by all regardless of rank, even the President of the United States recognizes the sacrifice and service of a CMOH winner, Thats right, the President is supposed to salute or acknowledge the serviceman first if he wears the simple little blue ribbon with the white stars. There is no higher award unless its given by God. Last stat I saw was about 200 CMOH winners still alive.

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
  • windpointwindpoint Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    George Patton said it's the Combat Infantry Badge. As only Col. and below can receive it Patton couldn't ever get it. It is truly the "been there" medal. You can get the Medal of Honor without serving in combat. My Dad, who went from D day to Bastonga to the end and served 25 years in the Air Force and was shot at in Korea and Vietnam, felt this was the only one that counted. He also recieved the Purple Heart and was eligible for three more, always said he got it because he was too stupid to duck. I don't believe that. If you got it, you got my admiration.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by windpoint
    George Patton said it's the Combat Infantry Badge. As only Col. and below can receive it Patton couldn't ever get it. It is truly the "been there" medal. You can get the Medal of Honor without serving in combat. My Dad, who went from D day to Bastonga to the end and served 25 years in the Air Force and was shot at in Korea and Vietnam, felt this was the only one that counted. He also recieved the Purple Heart and was eligible for three more, always said he got it because he was too stupid to duck. I don't believe that. If you got it, you got my admiration.

Members of the Army or Air force cannot be awarded the Medal of Honor without being in combat. On July 9, 1918, the criteria for award to Army members was changed to require "actual conflict with an armed enemy." The Navy Medal of Honor can legally be awarded for noncombat heroism, but I don't know the current Navy policy or when the last was so awarded. Civilians cannot normally be awarded the Medal of Honor but Charles Lindbergh was awarded the Medal by special act of Congress as an Army Air Corp Reserve Captain.
    edited November -1
    I believe that, technically, it is not the CMOH, but the MOH. Congress has to approve it, but, "Congressional" is not officially part of the nomenclature. Am I correct? I served in VN with an AF Master Sergeant who wore the CIB on his AF uniform. I can't remember the details of how he received it, but, he was well-respected. There were quite a few enlisted AF back then who had served in WWII in the Army. And, more than a few who had been officers at some point in their career, experienced an RIF, an were waiting to retire at their former higher rank. Interesting topic and observations.