In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Coyote Problem

HighNoonHighNoon Member Posts: 444 ✭✭✭
edited October 2003 in General Discussion
Well, I have a coyote who decided to run off with one of my barn cats last night. Since I'm more comfortable with handguns, it's probably time to look into long guns in order to prevent my other 2 cats from disappearing.

I'm in the backcountry of northern Colorado so disturbing the neighbors is not a problem. My potential target/s will be anywhere from 50-300 yards out. I was thinking .243 or .223. What about the .17HMR? Any suggestions/success stories?

Do coyotes tend to be night stalkers? If they got a taste for one cat, should I expect a "feeding frenzy"? I've got two Chesapeake Bay Retrievers that would tear them apart but I've seen as many as 6 coyotes traveling together and don't want the dogs attacked.

Thanks.

Comments

• will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Get the .243 out and smear them! Not only can you save the cats and possibly the dogs, you can have alot of fun callin' them jokers in and blastin' away. No, I don't have any recipes.[;)]

"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend."
    ~Secret Select Society Of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets~
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Coyotes are driven by the moon same as whitetails, etc. Even in the daytime hours. You may see them at any time, but they hunt more when other game is out feeding as well.
  • bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    All I can say is I don't think the .17 would be a good choice for the long range. .243 or .223 would be a much better choice. Ammo is much cheaper too.

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They usually come in and get your cats and dogs when their natural prey of rabbits and rats has been depleted. So if anyone is killing rabbits on your place put a stop to it.

Second, I don't mind coyotes in singles and pairs, but when they start running in packs of 5 or more, then they need to be "thinned a little." A few coyotes are not a bad thing--in fact, they can be beneficial. It's the abundance of coyotes that is a problem.

My 2-cents worth,
    Rafter-S

"What is truth? No wonder jesting Pilate turned away. The truth, it has a thousand faces -- show only one of them, and the whole truth flies away! But how to show the whole? That is the question."
    --Thomas Wolfe, "You Can't Go Home Again" (1934)
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh, and of the three calibers you mention I suggest the .243.

But if it were up to me, I would buy a .270 or 30-06. Then if I decided to hunt something larger, like deer or elk, I would have the gun for it.

Rafter-S
  • 257izmycal257izmycal Member Posts: 684 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Even though I am a fan of the 257 Roberts, I will say that in my opinion the .243 is the best of the bunch for song dogs. You could also invite me to come over from Ks and help you thin them out. I have a 257 that just loves to have its trigger caressed while pointed at song dogs. Just a thought.

You're a statistic whether you want to be or not.
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Highnoon,

Once a coyote (or pack of them) knows there are cats (or small dogs) around, they will keep coming back until you either discourage them with a lethal does of lead, or the food supply is gone. After losing two cats in the past few years, the wife locks them up at night. I did manage to get one of them using a Winchester Model 12 loaded with No. 4 Tactical Buck. Nailed that sucker at about 25 yards, broadside shot on a dead run... 8 of the 27 pellets hit him. For long distance shots, I use my 222 Rem Mag. (50 gr. hollow points are devastating!)

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • HighNoonHighNoon Member Posts: 444 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another question.......

Since I have seen packs of up to 6 coyotes, I assume that they would go after my dogs even though they weigh about 120 each. Correct assumption or would they stay away and go after easier prey?

Thanks again.
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HighNoon, I came home today from a trip and found that two of my cats are gone and the third with a chewed leg. As of now any coyote I see is a dead one[:(!], ******s!

A couple of weeks ago I popped two one with the Mini-14 from about 125 yards...........the preban clip is the secret. The other with a .357 Ruger revolver while doing hay.

I like the Mini-14 for it's handiness and the ability to put enough rounds out there for more than one target. Get the rifle that will fit your particular needs the best.

Good hunting and kill one for my poor cats Skimpy and Buggzy.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
    edited November -1
    Grew up with 'em. No matter how big and mean your dogs are, a group of yotes can hurt them bad. The difference is the fact that they are wild and think a bit different. They trick one into leaving the other, and then gang up on it.

Thin 'em out, and keep the pups in 'till you do.
  • 270 Deer Slayer270 Deer Slayer Member Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya I agree with the .243, my dad has a ruger m77 mkII in .243. I took it to the range the other day, it is a tack driver. I used to use 100 grain speer nitrex when I used the gun for deer. Dropped and doe and a buck in its tracks that year with it.

"A blood trail is life" (Ted Nugent) crosshair.gif
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    If I had 'yotes on my property I'd probably opt for a 6mm, that'll hit 'em as far as you can see. Might opt for the ole' 8mm Hakim if I was particularily PO'd at the 'yotes[}:)]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    .243 win is my favorite coyote killer. though a 22-250 is allright, also
    with the .243 you can shoot heavier bullets and smack them way out there really good,like 300+yds
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone for the info. I've been out lookin' all afternoon just in case I stumbled upon the "6-pack."

I was wondering, is it possible for a Great-horned Owl to fly away with a cat? My guess is the cat weighed about 4-5 pounds and I don't know how large a payload an owl can carry. We have them here which would mean a 12 gauge if they tried to grab another. But I got to thinkin' that there was no fresh coyote scat like I've been seeing the last couple of weeks. They were marking their territory (I assume) by dropping presents all around the barn. I thought that a coyote might want to brag a little after a fresh catch and leave a fresh present.

BTW, Rafter-S, I do have a .270 and was fine-tuning it today. I just never had to deal with predatory varmints before. But I may go with a .243 as my varmint gun. I suppose if I can get close enough I can vaporize one with my Ruger.454. Tonight could be interesting.
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Probably not an owl. That doesn't mean it isn't, but cats are on the big side for their tastes.

As to your coyotes, I don't know the terrain. If you're calling them in over an open area, then any flat-shooting rifle will probably do the trick. In semi-open brush I might choose my trusty old 8mm VZ33. Cheap to shoot, deadly accurate, and enough lead to stop a small tank.
    With any rifle, though, it's almost always going to be a one shot deal. No time or targets left by the time you rack another shell.

And then there's close quarters out to about 50 yds... For that I'd choose an A-5 with buckshot or very heavy birdshot. The latter will do little damage to "things & stuff", but will put a fatal hurt on your coyote.

My vote is the barnyard, a mostly full moon, a distressed rabbit call, and a nice 12 ga. A-5 stuffed to the max and just a bit of patience. Somewhere just after dusk or in the wee hours before dawn there's going to be one h#$$ of a rucus. You'll have had the time of your life and multiple dogs will be down or hurting.

Nord
    edited November -1
    Sighted in my .270 this afternoon. It's all out war on the coyotes after they got my cats the only company I have[:(!].

If you are using a 12ga try the Sellior & Bellot 00 buckshot, it will kill the dog dead at 40 yards with a full choke.

• s.guns.gun Member Posts: 3,245
    edited November -1
    Try nords idea and also use a small stuffed animal as a decoy.[:p]

I am confused at times.

We park on driveways,

and drive on parkways.
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Practice calling making a noise like a distressed rabbit and they won't be able to resist. Don't waste your money on a .17, you'll have to hit them in the eye to put them down. Any of the larger calibers will work as long as you can stand the recoil. The 22-250 is a good caliber for them, too. If you live in fisher territory, they will carry off a cat in a heartbeat. It seems like cats will run from coyotes, but, not so quick to run from a fisher. A great horned owl is capable of carrying off a cat if it is really hungry, but, the cat will fight back on the owl. One consolation is that it was probably a quick kill. I've lost a couple of kitties so I can relate. Calling coyotes is really the best way. Good luck.
  • 270 Deer Slayer270 Deer Slayer Member Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Take him with the .270, it should be fun, my friend shot a 48 lb yote with his .270 right up the butt, thing never moved and dropped dead.

"A blood trail is life" (Ted Nugent) crosshair.gif
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    We just had a news article last week saying that wolves have been spotted in the region. Not big coyotes; wolves. Cool, eh?

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

lifepatch.giffortbutton2.gif
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nord
    And then there's close quarters out to about 50 yds... For that I'd choose an A-5 with buckshot or very heavy birdshot. The latter will do little damage to "things & stuff", but will put a fatal hurt on your coyote.

My vote is the barnyard, a mostly full moon, a distressed rabbit call, and a nice 12 ga. A-5 stuffed to the max and just a bit of patience. Somewhere just after dusk or in the wee hours before dawn there's going to be one h#$$ of a rucus. You'll have had the time of your life and multiple dogs will be down or hurting.

Nord

A5[?] Dammit how many times do I have to tell you... use a WINCHESTER!! (I am a bit surprised that you didn't say to use an Elcee SxS). A 12 Ga. Model 12 loaded with Tactical Buckshot is deadly once you get them in range... and the one I got last year rolled about 3-4 times before coming to a stop... dead!

Best,
    Bert
  • bmbuzlrbmbuzlr Member Posts: 667 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with .223. Ammo is cheap, and it'll do fine for what you want. No sense in spending alot of money to kill a coyote.

"What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." Thomas Jefferson to William Stephens Smith,1787.
    If God didn't want us to eat animals, then he wouldn't have made them out of meat.
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i see you got a 270 that will do them in just fine also.
    but dont let that stop you from getting another rifle, no such thing as having to many guns [:D]
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I love using the Mini-14 on coyotes - 4X scope, out to nearly 300 meters. Lots of bullets for a fast follow-up, if you miss on the first shot.

Oregon Fish and Wildlife has recently published a warning about confusing coyotes with wolves. Wolves are protected. Do NOT shoot wolves, it would be bad for you.
  • big shotbig shot Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you probably want to use that 243, it should be a clean kill. if you want to bring the coyote in , you can always bait coyotes by lacing deer carcasses with a pestici. you might get in trouble for this , but its one way to solve your dilema. You cant let your cats and dogs die to varmits
  • kriskris Member Posts: 973 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i just to a report on a lady that had 2 sheep get killed..it was coyote..this was in a semi urban area

it is good that we meet in the struggle of life or death.. .....it shall be life!
    edited November -1
    Updated info:

The coyotes are taunting me by howling early in the morning at sunrise. Our barn is about 200 yards from a small stream with very thick brush. Past the brush it becomes somewhat mountainous (we're at 8000 feet elevation). Tonight I'm going to walk through the brush to try to find their den. What should I look for? Hole in the ground, some kind of brush piled up? I'm so temped to fire into the brush at the sound, but with bow and muzzle loading season going on I don't want to get a hunter into harm's way.
    edited November -1
    Look for fur. If they are shedding and putting on their winter coat, they like to roll right after getting up. Depending on the habitat, they are likely to abandon the den if they smell or hear you which they will. About the only way you can catch them near a den is when they have pups in the Spring. They are wicked smart survivors.
    edited November -1
    Woodshermit,

Am I more likely to catch them at dusk or dawn?
    edited November -1
    The earlier the better. No wind at all because they will smell you and can hear you a mile away. About a week ago I went outside to relieve myself around 4 am (hey, what can I say, I spend a lot of time off the grid)and heard some yipping about a half mile back in the usual spot. I honestly think they heard me open the door. When I went back inside I stood quietly by an open window and heard nothing. About 10 years ago there was a major logging operation that cleared hundreds of acres. The deer are just gone from this area. Anyone who is serious about hunting coyotes should really consider the calling route. Your local gunshop guy will steer you in the right direction. He is certain to be able to direct you to someone who is a serious coyote hunter and willing to share info. Good luck.
    edited November -1
    Woods has a good point here.

If you don't have the time or inclination to call the coyotes up, ask around the gun shops for an avid predator hunter. There will be a GHD around for sure and they'll appreciate the opportunity to hunt your place.

Be a great way for you to learn the tricks of the hunt/calling.
    edited November -1
    Last night the coyotes were taunting me also fom dusk to dawn. Picked up more 00 buck shot and 100rds of .223 this morning.

These coyotes here often watch me from afar when I am working in the fields. last month while forking over some busted bales in the field I noticed 3 on the stonewall behind me and one adjacent to me watching me. Kind of gets the blood going near dusk when down in one of the back fields and they start howling a hundred yards away.

edited November -1
    Someone mentioned poison (pesticide on a deer carcass). Bad idea unless you want to walk out one day and see a Fed waiting for you with a dead eagle in one hand and handcuffs in the other. Poisoning is probably illegal most places anyway. Someone else mentioned wolves. I understand that wolves and coyotes do not share the same habitat; wolves move in and coyotes leave or get eaten. Snaring coyotes has just been outlawed (at least temporarily in Maine) because of the danger of unintentionally snaring either a bald eagle or lynx. Hunting legally is the best and safest way to deal with coyotes.