In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Neat find at an auction. Heads up Submariners

wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,067
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I just got in from an auction where I picked up a round 6" brass plaque. It is marked Deep Submergence Group. It has an embossed shield with a dolpin on the right side and a bathosphere on the left . Protruding over the top from behind the shield is a trident. Just did a little research and here is a link to a picture of what I have.

http://www.pope-and-gentile.com/t2/history/t44/image17.htm

All I have is the brass plaque without the wood base.

This is copied from the history of the Deep Submergence Group

Also, during that same period, there existed the seldom mentioned unit "Deep Submergence Group" at Ballast Point, San Diego, California. The Deep Submergence Group existed from approximately May 1965 until after September 1966 and operated the first configuration of the TRIESTE II, prior to and perhaps after addition of the skegs on either side of the sphere. In 1965 TRIESTE II (MOD 1) conducted dives to test the new "Straza" sonar, we now know, to be used on the TRIESTE II (DSV-1). During dive operations, off San Clemente Island north west of San Diego, California, a battery box on the TRIESTE II deck containing 13 batteries exploded and terminated the exercise. TRIESTE II surfaced safely, was towed to San Diego and sent to the Ship yard for repairs. It was during that overhaul that the TRIESTE II reached her final configuration, which can be seen at the Washington Naval Ship Yard in Washington DC. The Deep Submergence Group patch evolved into the Bathyscaph Trieste patch . The Deep Submergence Group plaque does not seem to have been carried forward.

This is the link to the history

http://www.pope-and-gentile.com/t2/history/history_index.html

A really neat find ,especialy in the middle of Oklahoma. Was thinking about auctioning it off but I have no idea of the value.
Anybody harbor a guess what it's worth? I paid 3.00 for it

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: And he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment, and buy one

Comments

• Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Pretty sure it's worth the $3 you paid for it.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,067
    edited November -1
    BTT Still looking for information on this item

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: And he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment, and buy one
  • Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello wipala...

Plaques such as that one are very common... It is a Submarine Navy tradition to present all senior personnel with such plaques upon transfer to a new duty assignment. I received similar such plaques at the end of each tour I completed during my 20+ years in the U.S. Navy Submarine service (three different submarines and three Shore Commands). Unless you can find somebody who once served with that particular command, it is not worth much ($10 or so). If you can locate a former Submariner who served with that command, you might be able to squeeze $20-$25 out if it.

Bert Hartman
    U.S. Navy (Submarines) Retired
    Jan 1979 - April 2000
  • wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,067
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the information Bert. The group was only in existance for 2 years and was little known or talked about

• jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    Bert, you spend any time on the US Leaks and Creaks?

JuJu(who had a private tour from the Chief of the boat on that one 2 years before she was decommed.

JuJu(special breed who man those boats, I salute 'em)
  • SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    worth...i dont know but the dep submergence guys always held themselves in very high regard...im somewhat surprised that i aint the only submariner no more...USS FLORIDA SSBN 728

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail alisonandwalt@charter.net
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by juju
    Bert, you spend any time on the US Leaks and Creaks?

JuJu(who had a private tour from the Chief of the boat on that one 2 years before she was decommed.

JuJu(special breed who man those boats, I salute 'em)

That is really odd to hear a civilian refer to the USS Lewis & Clark SSBN 644 (also referred to as the "Lost & Confused") by one of its nick names. But to answer your question, No, I was never stationed aboard her, but I had several friends who were. I did spend some time visiting friends onboard her when she went through a refueling overhaul in the Newport News shipyard in the early 1980s. I was stationed aboard the Crazy Polock... USS Casimir Pulaski SSBN 633 (Gold) at that time, which was also at Newport News.

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    Bert, I may be a civilian now but I did serve in the US Navy back in the late sixty's and early seventies, I wasnt always a civie.

JuJu(thanks for the response and again a special breed mans those boats)
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Me too! I was in the U.S. Navy Nuclear Power Program for five years in the late sixties. It was a great experience for me to be in such an advanced program.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guess I should have said where I was stationed ... I was an instructor in CMR (Chemistry, Materials and Radiological Fundamentals) Department at the Nuclear Power School at Bainbridge Naval Training Center.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by juju
    Bert, I may be a civilian now but I did serve in the US Navy back in the late sixty's and early seventies, I wasnt always a civie.

JuJu(thanks for the response and again a special breed mans those boats)

On a "target", or a real ship[?]

There are only two types of ships in the U.S. Navy... Submarines and targets[}:)]

Bert H.

Real Men use a SINGLE-SHOT!
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    pretty cool my old man was on a sub during vietnam.he was on the USS PLUNGER.KINDA FUNNY NAME

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI