In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

surplus rifle sales

joshua86joshua86 Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
i was wandering if there is any surplus rifle sales in kansas and

is southern ohio gun international surplus any good

"a mans word is only as good as his handshake" I heard it somewhere

Comments

• offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SOG is good. I'm looking at a Mosin Nagant M38 on sale in excellent condition right now. Try to pick one in very good or excellent condition. The "good" rifles are not up to some people's cosmetic standards, but they do shoot. When in doubt, pay the extra fee for "handpick" and they will sort through the box and grab you a slightly better one.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    I have ordered several rifles from SOG and I have been pleased with what I got. Don't know about C&R dealers in Kansas.
  • jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    ditto what offerer said.

JuJu(a surplus rifle addict)
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    I have to confess I ordered 4 rifles from SOG (my first order) I ordered three of the Mosin Nagants at $39.00 each and they were advertised as good condition although when I phoned Venus told me that some of them had hairline cracks in the stock which was ok with me. She said except for that they were ready to shoot. I know $39.00 is cheap, but with all the good things I had heard about SOG, I assumed that they would not sell junk at any price. But the three Mosins were junk. The stocks were absoulte crap and the metal looked really , really beat up. One Mosin wouldn't even eject the round. I also ordered a Enfield Jungle carbine for $159.00 with an additional $10 for a handpicked one. It was advertised as good condition plus I expected better since I paid for the handpick. It was only fair condition. I sent all four guns back and willl soon receive a refund but I am out the shipping charges to me. But maybe I just had some bad luck because a lot of other people claim SOG is a great company. I sure hope so, buecause I ordered two Yugo 8MM Mausers from them and they should arrive the first of the week.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Had a couple of Spanish .308 mausers from them. They both shot, but made me nervous. I used them for pry bars now.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
    edited November -1
    plains scout: I read that the spanish mausers had soft steel and would quickly have serious head spacing problems.

Quote "Somehow government decided that the Constitutional Bill of Rights has become the Bill of "Suggested" Rights and are to be rationed to the citizens as the power elite sees fit"
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    We have been ordering from SOG for many years and no complaints. As to the $10 hand picked, I have to say that if the hand picked are any better than the regular ones, then they are one heck of a gun. They always have sent us the best of the lot. You can not go wrong with SOG! They ship really fast as wel so do not be suprised when you item arrives a lot sooner than you expected!

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a buddy of mine with a C&R hates sog. I guess some days they hit and some they miss.

"Life is not a journey to the grave wtih the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body,

But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

-WOW- WHAT A RIDE!!!!!"
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SOG is not a place for a novice. For the unexperienced, buying from another source might be better.

I too have dealt with SOG for years. It is hit and miss. Me thinks the problem lies with their ad copy. The ads are written all the same even though the quality of the merchandise is not. A good condition is not always a good condition.

They do have some good deals and that's why I will continue trading with them.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think tr fox is right too. Distribs sometimes overstate the condition on old lots. Some lots of guns received by ALL the distribs are probably not as good as others, and sometimes they tend to grade the marginal stuff too high. Availability may be limited on surplus stuff, of course, and they have to take it the way it comes out of the warehouse. BUT, they are definitely wrong when they grade some guns "good" when they should be honestly graded "fair." Newer gun enthusiasts who wish to order C&R guns from these dealers should be warned that "Good" is not a rave review, it is a technical appraisal of a gun's condition. Good is supposed to be at least 70% condition overall. I'd rather have 85-95%, and that means I have to buy "very good" to "excellent" to be happy. I'm not wanting a cracked stock, for example, or any rust, or any pitting that has not been refinished. I figure a crack, or rust, will only increase unless work is done, and it's a sign of significant wear or imperfect storage conditions, neither of which appeal to me.

I appreciate hearing tr's experience on it, because it reinforces my belief that I've gotta examine that fine print and avoid the guns which are off-handedly called "good." It's not "good" enough, at least for me.

If you really want "excellent" to "very good," don't buy a gun described as merely "good."

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    I have to agree with SOG is hit and miss on quality.
    I bought a CZ 70 advertized as "very good" but received one that was excellent.

I ordered a M44 $39 "good" and like some others here got a piece of absolute "junk".

Again when they called the caller told me they had minor "stock cracks"
    However I have to replace the stock and the barrel is shot out.
    Even after I replace the stock it will still be a "wallhanger".

After that is said I would still buy from them again.
    You get what you pay for.

Steel is for guns Tupperware is for leftovers
  • kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had good luck with AimSurplus.
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I, too, ordered a $39 M44. No cleaning rod or sling. Oh well. Metal was fine, a few rust spots. The bolt and bore were fine, too. I don't really care about bluing condition, just so long as it shoots without parts flying off. The stock, though, was bad. They had warned me it had hairline cracks, and that's about right. I'm lucky that they weren't in the butt or bed, only along the sides of the receiver, in the handguard, and and on the muzzle end. I'm gonna be doing a LOT of gluing, filling and finishing, after I get all this ancient cosmolene off, yecch.

Still, for $39, I got something to keep me out of the bars till spring comes. [:D]

"Go to Lakedaemon, stranger passing by;
    And say there, that in obedience to her law, here we lie"
    edited November -1
    Chunkstyle: you had much better luck with SOG than I did. Frankly I have come to like receiving guns covered in Cosmoline. It shows me that someone at some time must of have made sure that gun was in good condition to have gone to the trouble of coating it in cosmoline to ensure longterm storage. I mean, who wants to try and ensure longterm storage on a piece of junk?

• 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    ive had problems w/ sog. guns coming not complete.also there customer service sucks.i ordered 5 german k98's and they were missing there cleaning rods.cant sell somebody a gun that is incomplete,so sog sent me cleaning rods for them but they were the wrong ones.it took awhile to get the ones i needed[xx(]

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI