In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone ever have a problem with a Gunbroker Sale

SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Have you ever been stiffed out of a gun you sent payment for? I was just wondering because I always worry about that happening to me.
I always try to stay with sellers who have good feedback, but you can't always do that....if ya see something ta gotta have.

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent

Comments

• SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    No. But I've only bought two firearms thru gunbroker.

Generally I go to the local guys if their prices are above what I can get it for on G-broker (adding in the shipping and tranfer fees) and they will come down to or real close to the price I can get it for from g-broker.

I prefer to give business to the local shop owners if at all possible.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,457 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The worst problem I have had is that the seller did not leave feedback for me[:(]. In other words, no problems at all and I have gone with a couple of first time listers with 0 feedback.

He Dog
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    I've bought two guns, 100% perfect service.

The only problem I had was bidding on a gun I could not import when I was a N/R. Luckily, someone raised the bid with fifteen minutes to go.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've purchased many guns through Gunbroker without a single hitch.

Once there was a seller that tried to pin an auction on me that I wasn't obligated to follow through on. He never read the rules. The high bidder was a dirtbag and got his account cancelled which left me as the second-highest bidder. Admin sided with me and cited the rules to defend me. The seller still left me an "F". Oh well. Can't please em all. I would have paid for the gun but I went out and bought a different one the day that I was outbid.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I have only had one issue and it was a long time ago. I won an auction and could not get the seller to respond. It was no big issue with me. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Only one problem worth mentioning. I bought a rifle from a listing without a photo. When it arrived, TOTAL MISREPRESENTATION! Even as to the correct model. Guy had bogus contact data. Thank God for POSTAL MONEY ORDERS. The Postal Inspectors jumped him fast, he had a PO BOX! Got all my money back except $20 and he didn't want the gun back. Got TWO useable small parts off so I'm not complaining.
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Have bought more than a few guns on GB; am well satisfied with all the sellers.

Only 1 incident happened--seller learned the gun he was offering had been stolen; police confiscated it before payment was sent. Seller was forthright with explanation and asked if I could wait while the matter was resolved; I agreed. Ended up the seller took the hit and we couldn't complete the transaction. I'll do business with that seller again--without concern. [:D]

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have purchased many guns and lots of other parts/accessories on GB.com and I have never had a single problem! I do my part by asking questions before I bid and I simply won't deal with somebody who doesn't have perfect (or nearly perfect) feedback.

I still don't understand how so many of you guys can find better deals locally. I can't even get close to the deals I've found online in my local shops.

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security
  • Texas HunterTexas Hunter Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have bought two rifles on the auction and one that was offered after i posted in the Wanted forum.
    The first rifle i bought was from an unrated seller and it was advertised as excellent but was far from it.
    The rifle shot very well but as stated the condition was far from excellent.
    On top of that the bore was filthy as if it had been fired 50-60 times and put away in that condition.
    I am not so sure i would buy from an unrated seller again.
    On the plus side i bought a far superior Rem. Mohawk from a rated seller with good feed back and it was everything it was advertised as and then some.
    The first Mohawk is now in the hands of my FFL guy and up for sell.
    The rifle i bought in reply to the wanted forum was a superb Rem. model 7 in 7mm-08.
    Super clean!!
    Eventually i will buy another rifle from the auction....When i get some money of course.

mike
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by concealedG36

I still don't understand how so many of you guys can find better deals locally. I can't even get close to the deals I've found online in my local shops.

It costs about $50-75 to transfer a firearm into California. Plus shipping.

If I see a handgun for $600 in the case and its $450 on gbroker. Its really $450 +75 + 30 or 550 or so. I go to the local guy and say can you sell me this for $550 its what it would cost me to buy it out of state and bring it in and I'd prefer to do the business locally. They either say yes or no. Most of the time they say yes and sell for $550. These are rough numbers and don't represent an actual deal.. Just an example.
  • ItGoBangItGoBang Member Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have bought a lot of things on GB (guns) and ammo, parts..... Only problem I have had is ... When you buy something, they want the buyer to give feedback first, To me it's BLACKMAIL![:(!] The only thing they can say about a buyer is, How fast the money was sent, and if it was the right amount, and you sent an FFL for a gun. Some people just like to make it hard to do business with them again.[8]

It will hurt you, More than it will hurt me..

Life Member... NRA & Friends of the NRA
    American Legion, MECU, MWCA, SMSC, NASDS
    Thanks for all the help!
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    SilverBox The closest dealer charges $40 + DROS ($20).

I recently found a mom'n'pop garage FFL what charges $20 (+$20).

So that Para CCW Paula sold me delivered was $675, $715 out the door.
    One local shop wants $875 +tax + DROS, another $940 + tx + DROS.

Most of the best deals locally are used guns. Like M. Christian once said, the most likely time a gun not on the CA DOJ list will enter the market is in a divorce. Another time a few beauties came along was when a man got a felony and HAD to immediately sell the entire collection (I don't know any more than that, although I bought one).
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I have purchased two rifles thru GB, both went without a hitch, both were from NR sellers out of state from me.

Ask your questions before you bid. I requested the seller take the guns to his FFL shipper and I sent the money AFTER i talked to the FFL and he assured me the rifle was in condition described. I then sent the check to the FFL who already had instructions to ship when my money and FFL arrived.

I am VERY cautious, and would rather have someone tell me to F.O. than to get shafted...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
    edited November -1
    I've had problems with the mom'n'pop guys before. Unresponsive. I've had to switch the transfer dealer in mid sale because of this. I'd rather go to a storefront and pay $50-75. No storefront dealer around here charges less then $50 that I have found. I'm not gonna drive more then 50 miles round trip to save $10 bucks. Yeah I've had to go out of state on the more expensive stuff. The tax is usually the deal breaker. For anything under $600 or so I usually can get the local guys to move enouogh that its a wash, so I buy from them.

I bought a M1A from Paula. Was about $200 less then I could find around here, $200 less after I talked one of the local guys down $250 from his asking price :).. He wouldn't move the last $200 (the tax and a lil bit).

quote:Originally posted by jsergovic
    SilverBox The closest dealer charges $40 + DROS ($20).

I recently found a mom'n'pop garage FFL what charges $20 (+$20).

So that Para CCW Paula sold me delivered was $675, $715 out the door.
    One local shop wants $875 +tax + DROS, another $940 + tx + DROS.

Most of the best deals locally are used guns. Like M. Christian once said, the most likely time a gun not on the CA DOJ list will enter the market is in a divorce. Another time a few beauties came along was when a man got a felony and HAD to immediately sell the entire collection (I don't know any more than that, although I bought one).
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've purchased a number of things on GB and only had 2 problems, both of which were resolved with only nominal extra effort.

Use credit card or USPS money orders ... not the MO's from the corner mini-mart. That way you have some leverage/recourse if you need it. PayPal before they had the "e-bay lobotomy" was another good method to pay because if the seller didn't do as they were supposed to do PayPal took the money out of their bank account. Oh well that option is not throughly burried somewhere in the "left bank".

No or low feedback sellers are obviously higher risk, but again if steps are taken you can cover your self. The GB's "fraud insurance" is a minor help but even in the max case I think you only would see $350 unless they raised the payout (haven't looked at it in quite a while).

However, even if a seller has a high feedback do a check and you may find negatives, and you may find that there are recent problems which might point to some present day problems in the seller's life. Beyond all of that this is a "faceless" venue and some "leap of faith" is required.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are only 5 sellers I deal with on GB, they all post here and have good reputations.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Have you ever been stiffed out of a gun you sent payment for?

Not yet. [:D]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • sharkman69sharkman69 Member Posts: 858
    edited November -1
    The only problem I've ever had on Gunbroker.com is buyers not giving me any feedback. I always give positive feedback to anybody who buys and pays for anything they get from me, or sell to me.
  • houndog55houndog55 Member Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have bought many items from gunbrokers and never had any problems but one and the seller realized the mistake and made it right.Buy with no worries.

David Collins
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    yes one time, turned out the seller was a total fraud , was using some one elses name address , lost $1500 that time , nothing the postal inspectors could do , there was no body to find , but on the good side I have purchased several more since then and have had no problems
  • glabrayglabray Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've bought quite a few guns on GunBroker in the last two years and mostly all has gone well. In general I find that I prefer to buy from an individual collector instead of a dealer. Too many of the dealers on the auction have that "gun shop owner's attitude."

Here are some rules I've developed that work pretty well:
    1. Never even look at a listing that does not have photos.
    2. If there isn't a good text description including any defects the gun has, don't bid.
    3. If there is more text describing the sellers rules and conditions than there is describing the gun, don't bid.
    4. If the seller includes one or more hostile sounding lines in the text he isn't anybody I want to deal with.
    5. Always, ALWAYS e-mail the seller asking questions about the things most important to you such as bore condition, wood-to-metal fit etc. If the response isn't quick and pleasant, the gun is no longer under consideration.
    6. Feedback is meaningless. Everybody and his dog has an A+ rating.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have made about 30 purchase in the last 3-4 years. I have had 2 surprises. One was a 1 letter typo (with no picture) with the brand name. The other was a preban/postban error by the seller. Both errors (that happened to be in my favor) amounted to a purchase price of 50% of actual value. To their credit there was no mention by the seller of the error and a request to negotiate.

All in all I have had nothing close to a problem with sellers - even those with a very few feedbacks.

cbxjeff<P>It's too late for me, save yourself. <br>
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Great info everyone!!! Thanks for the reassurance. Don't know why I always worry about that when I bid on an item. Seems like I should be okay because I'm following most of your suggestions already and will be starting a few extra right now..

Thanks Again.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • madmarc0madmarc0 Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No problems yet! Keeping my fingers crossed!

I measured it and cut it twice, and it's still too short!
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Always read their feedback before bidding. BTW, I would not trust this fellow.[:0]

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewUserFeedback.asp?User=65151

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

NRA Life Member
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    mateo -- If somebody tells me to F.O. I'd consider myself lucky to have dodged a bullet.

skyking/gskyhawk -- What horror stories you have. Glad skyking stung his crook. Some people think they're unreachable online -- nothing could be further from the truth.

I've only bought a few guns thus far through GB but have done a lot of business, some of it high dollar, on "other sites" as well since 1999. I find e-mail is a great reader of people. In fact, the best reason to ask questions about an auction is not to get more info about the item; it's to get a read on the seller. At least, that has worked for me. If they are slow, short-tempered, barely speak the language, or reluctant to talk to me at all other than send me a form letter with their "policy" in it, I'll usually pass. If their shipping is inflated, it's a great personality indicator, and I'll pass. Any user on GB or elsewhere who is intent on looking like a big impersonal business, or just plain unfriendly, is a lot more likely to steal my money and lie about it afterward. Their guns can sit and collect dust. [;)]

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    the only problem i had was w/ a night vision scope it took the seller 2 months to ship it to me[}:)]

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI