In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Time to decide on a surgery

Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
edited July 2004 in General Discussion
Well I had a microdisectomy in May to take out broken pieces of my spinal discs.

Newest MRI says either the doc didn't get them all or there are some new pieces that are pinching off nerves.

Now they want to fuse my vertebrae together with titanium and bone.

Talk about some scary crap, heck I'm only 30.

If I don't get it done, I become a narcotic addict and risk further damage.

If I get it done I risk 100% cure or a worsend condition as the last surgery was.

Before the last surgery my back was hurt with occasional left leg pain. Now it's both legs with severe pain and my back.

Would you all risk the surgery?

3 days hospitalization....1-2 months sitting at home?

Heck the only reason I didn't go stir crazy last time is because I could atleaset sit at the computer and post here. This time I'll be bedridden.

awcountdown.gifIt wasn't only the Bill Clinton Gun Ban- without Bill Ruger there would of been no ban .
MichaelMooreFatStupid.gif

Comments

• Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    I'd get a second opinion. Back injuries and the surgeries to fix them aren't something to be taken lightly.

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif
  • Options
    fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I second the second opinion, if you need a second opinion of red's opinion about getting a second opinion. Then, get the best surgeon you can find.

Ben
  • Options
    Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Has anyone suggested you get a second opinion??

Even if you have to pay for it Red, I'd get it done. I know TRICARE sucks, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do.

NSDQ!

NS_Crest.jpgr6team.gifAmerican_IR_Flag.jpg

"The Lord knows the way I take, and when He has tested me, I shall come forth as gold" JOB 23:10
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,685 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Red, there's also a new synthetic disc replacement that should be about done and should be approved for FDA approval very soon. I'm not sure if we're talking now, 3 months or 9 months but relatively soon. I can give you the name of my pain management doctor who was in on some of the ground breaking study along with some doctors in Texas.
    That's why I held off last year when I was so bad off and didn't have surgery then even though I have had two previously (my first at age 24). I don't have enough material left to have another lamendectomy but they're afraid to fuse because my original injury actually herniated 3 discs, just one of them was the culprit with the bulk of my pain...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Red,
    There's a Doctor here in NE GA that's been doing a brand new procedure. My Mom has had back problems for years and is looking into it. I have the info at my second job. I'll send it to you tomorrow night.

As far as having part of your spine fused, I had that done when I was 17, am 51 now, and have had no more problems. What they can do now versus back then is light years apart!

MVC-031S.jpg

"The Greatest Battle Implement Ever Devised!"
    -- Gen. George S. Patton
    referring to the M1 Garand
  • Options
    victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    What ever you do I wish you good luck.I've been throught the pain part.I guess I was lucky.I found a chropractic type doctor that used a thumpper to adjust my back.After twelve years of pain I can go to work without pain.Good luck.

And this has come to pass,not to stay.
  • Options
    Ding-a-lingDing-a-ling Member Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go for it. I had the Ray-Cage surgery done in 97 and don't regret it at all.

Ding-a-ling
    Some people get up and say"Good Morning Lord"

Others get up and say "Good Lord,it's morning.
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    Get a second opinion anyway! You will know for sure and you will be more secure about having it!

Gun_smokes.gif

Delta.gif

Extreme moments of horror should be met with extreme actions of preventive retribution

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my youth the most!
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And according to Mark C. you are? Don????

"I would not mind being the last man on earth just to see if all those girls were telling me the truth"
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Red223
    If I don't get it done, I become a narcotic addict and risk further damage.

Risk further damage, yes, but you would also be qualified to be a conservative talk show host.
  • Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice.

Mark C. thinks I'm Don??

Don Knotts? Don King? Don Duck?[:D]

awcountdown.gifIt wasn't only the Bill Clinton Gun Ban- without Bill Ruger there would of been no ban .
    MichaelMooreFatStupid.gif
  • Options
    0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    get the surgery and i hope you feel better. i hate backaches.

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI