In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

It is Official... Thanks George W....

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I posted it up just a few days ago about Robert Bosch closing one of three brake plants here in SC. Son just got the news that he will not be going back to work in Charleston. Charleston Plant is also cutting back on production. Hummm... less anti lock brakes for car manufacturers means less cars made.....

Comments

• interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    How is this George W. Bush Jr's fault[?]

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All 800+ jobs in Sumter are leaving the country. No one seems to wanna stop the bleeding of American jobs.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The President always takes more credit than what is deserved. The President always takes more crap than what is deserved. Each President takes blame for the previous Administrations economic idiocies but also receives credit for their economic successes.

Clinton got lots of credit for the way the economy benefited for the slate-wiping job that George Bush Sr. did with the S&L crisis that his administration had to fix.
    edited November -1
    Well there are more unemployed people now in the U.S than ever. Saw the facts last night on T.V. More jobs have left the U.S. than ever also. I do hold the current administration responsible for all this. Everyone supporting such behavior might also be out of a job soon.
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did the jobs go overseas? Or did the company just not have the business?

I have problems with some of the "administrations" policies as well as some of the "laws" put through by our legislators. Some things I think Bush could have been more proactive with, others I think he got just plain bad advice on. And I think the legislators are in the large basically out for what benefits them way before what benefits the people they are supposed to represent.

Country is bleeding job, no doubt about that. And the unemployment figures that are quoted to make things appear to be improving are probably some very creative accounting.

But, to begin to make things better the people have to take a more active interest in what's going down and who's going in office. If something or someone is wrong then we, the people, have to be willing to endure the protracted fight to get it changed.

Every 2-6 years the "pols" (city, state, federal) come up for re-election ... remember what their previous 2-6 years were and not the last 2-6 minutes of what they are saying to stay in office, then VOTE!

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
    edited November -1
    Bush just released the economy report. Since he has taken office in 2001 there are 2.2 Million people that have lost their jobs. God Bless America.
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Since he has taken office in 2001 there are 2.2 Million people that have lost their jobs

You think some of that might have to do with the 911 thing?

To whom much is given, much is expected.
    edited November -1
    Sky, the twin towers I don't believe employed that many.
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Bush inherited an unstable economy, that much is for certain and that much could not be helped.

However, holding him blameless for the economy's current dire straits is cheerleading of the grossest sort.

Bush has done NOTHING to help the economy. There's "it's not my fault" and then there's "it's not my fault, so I won't do anything about it." His budget proposals have not only given us a national debt of record-breaking proportions, he's also managed to sell out every single one of us in favor of special interests and big business.

Medicare? Now in the hands of HMOs to the tune of $30 billion dollars.

Overtime pay? A thing of the past.

Need I go on? Bush doesn't call himself "The next Herbert Hoover" because it lacks the sexy ring of "war president."

"I'm a war president." As if that somehow excuses the gross mismanagement of this nation's budget and economy. He'd like us to think that the money has gone to military costs, but the fact is that over 80% of his budget has nothig to do with security or the military.

So, it's not what he could have done to prevent the current meltdown, it's what should he be doing to help it?

He should be doing a lot, but he's more interested in being a "war president" than a real leader.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Saw the FACTS on TV" huh? Well, that's good enough for me. [;)]
    2.2 million jobs lost? How many were created?
    See...here's the way it works...
    You take the number of jobs lost and subtract the number of jobs
    that were either created or had "laid offs" called back and the difference is the net number of "lost" jobs. If you only look at jobs "lost" or jobs "created" you get a false reading.

Mudge the figurer

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey
    "I'm a war president." As if that somehow excuses the gross mismanagement of this nation's budget and economy. He'd like us to think that the money has gone to military costs, but the fact is that over 80% of his budget has nothig to do with security or the military.

By any chance did you see the Russert interview? Russert asked him about the fact that so many conservatives are pissed about the fact that sending has gone through the roof under GWs watch. GWs answer to that criticism was "well we are at war, and our soldiers need the best supplies and resources...". Too bad Russert didnt ask him how the fact we are at war explains why domestic spending has gone through the roof.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
    edited November -1
    Take a look on Yahoo now. Just came out. Republicans can make up any type of report to make the economy look good they want... But the facts are facts Millions out of work... jobs leaving the country by the truckload. I can't wait my my Birthday present in November to get BUSH out of office. Hell the next President ( whomever ) couldn't possibly screw it up this bad !!!
  • droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,363 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't think it can all be blamed on Bush. Read the following:

How Government Works

Once upon a time the government had a vast scrap yard in the middle of a desert. Congress said, "someone may steal from it at night." So they created a night watchman position and hired a person for the job.

Then Congress said, "How does the watchman do his job without instruction?" So they created a planning department and hired two people, one person to write the instructions, and one person to do time studies.

Then Congress said, "How will we know the night watchman is doing the tasks correctly?" So they created a Quality Control department and hired two people. One to do the studies and one to write the reports.

Then Congress said, "How are these people going to get paid?" So they created the following positions, a time keeper, and a payroll officer, then hired two people.

Then Congress said, "Who will be accountable for all of these people?" So they created an administrative section and hired three people, an Administrative Officer, Assistant Administrative Officer, and a Legal Secretary.

Then Congress said, "We have had this command in operation for one year and we are $18,000 over budget, we must cutback overall cost."

So they laid off the night watchman.

Doubt this makes anyone feel better,,, but It kept me from thinking about smoking for a few minutes.

hksniper.gif
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    @ups! Who ya gonna blame next term? Kerry? I sure as hell hope so! You want Kerry so bad well you just may get him and by god then we will see just how bad GWB really was because Kerry aint gonna fix a damned thing, you hear me?? he aint gonna fix S!!!!!!

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
    edited November -1
    Idsman wrote:
    "The President always takes more credit than what is deserved. The President always takes more crap than what is deserved. Each President takes blame for the previous Administrations economic idiocies but also receives credit for their economic successes.

Clinton got lots of credit for the way the economy benefited for the slate-wiping job that George Bush Sr. did with the S&L crisis that his administration had to fix."

Bush Sr. was part of the problem. Giving him credit for cleaning up the S&L mess is like giving Ted Bundy credit for wiping his hands after he'd raped and murdered his latest victim.

Jeb Bush defaulted on a $4.5 million loan from Broward Federal Savings in Sunrise, Florida. He wound up paying back half a million dollars. His daddy, George Sr., paid back the rest with U.S. taxpayer money.

Neil Bush bankrupted an S&L he was running to the tune of $1.5 billion... a figure, you guessed it, Bush had the American taxpayer make up for.

Now, those are family members. What did Bush do? Well, for starters, he was one of the prime architects of the industry overhaul in the late 80's that allowed for less oversight of the industry (because they weren't really "banks") since many of his close friends were in the business.

In fact, when the entire S&L scandal broke, Bush did all he could to obstruct investigations into wrongdoing and inappropriate business practices. He simply had the public foot the bill for his friends' thievery.

Bush ordered no criminal investigations into what remains the largest case of public theft in American history.
    edited November -1
    Whoa ! I think that was a 20mm cannon that just flew by me from Penns. It didn't hit anything... Just funnin 7mmnut.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I Blame it on NAFTA!

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    select-fire
    Sorry about your son getting laid-off ... Its not necessarly that fewer cars are being, manufactruers are now offering anti-lock brakes as an option rather than standard equipment ... so it would only be fair to say that fewer cars are being made with anti-lock brakes ... I cant see how that is GW fault ...

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind [8D]

Topeka.gif
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    You are bitter and you should be, your son is out of work. God bless your an American, you can place your blame where you see fit, irregardless if you are right or you are wrong.

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
    edited November -1
    Ruger,

I blame India and China. Both countries are taking jobs away by offering the same service (not necessarily quality though) at much cheaper rates. Of course, we haven't done much to remain truly competitive, but such is the nature of modern commerce that you're either out-#$%&ing-standing or out of a job.
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Earmark the companies that went to Mexico for cheaper labor. Don't buy their products. Let the Mexican laborers they now employ buy their products. Hey, I can just see Pedro buying those washers, dryers, electric ranges, and so on.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • KX500KX500 Member Posts: 733 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bosch - American Company?
  • ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always get a kick out some blow-dried, knuckle-pointing, office-seeking piece of * promising "...to create JOBS. Jobs with a living wage so that ordinary people can raise a family (fife and drums here a la Oliver's speeches in "Green Acres)..." What a crock. Someone please enlighten me as to how a President creates jobs, other than by subsidizing a make work project that will dry up and blow away in a year or offering a government funded self-destructing device like the Clintons' "100,000 Cops" boondoggle, now unfunded and floundering. And no, it wasn't a Bush Administration budget cut that did it.

There was an excellent post on a similar topic about two weeks ago. The writer pointed out that we are the ones driving the employment cart here. If we were willing to pay $80 for a flannel shirt or $300 for a cordless drill so long as the items were produced in this country, then we could keep the types of jobs associated with manufacturing those goods here. But so long as you and I are schlepping the kids to Wally World for their clothes and hunting down the best possible bargains for ourselves, those goods will be mass produced as cheaply as possible. And they'll be produced in Mexico, China, India or wherever it's cheapest to do so. The glory days of well-paying manufacturing jobs in this country are over. Adapt, adjust or perish.
  • powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mudge
    "Saw the FACTS on TV" huh? Well, that's good enough for me. [;)]
    2.2 million jobs lost? How many were created?
    See...here's the way it works...
    You take the number of jobs lost and subtract the number of jobs
    that were either created or had "laid offs" called back and the difference is the net number of "lost" jobs. If you only look at jobs "lost" or jobs "created" you get a false reading.

Mudge the figurer

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>

The number of jobs created means nothing if most are "McDonalds" level jobs. Most of them are from the reports I've seen.

fa4d9fb5.jpg

When you wrestle a 'gator, there ain't no good end!!

"Molon Labe!" Spartan General-King Leonidas
  • SilverBoxSilverBox Member Posts: 2,347
    edited November -1
    Thank you for speaking the truth Saxon :)

quote:Originally posted by SaxonPig
    Isolationism has never worked. Nor have protectionist laws. Free trade is the best in the long run. Yes, some people get hurt and in short term things can get real screwed up. But in general, over time, free trade works out best for most people. The economy is always in a state of flux, and changes will occur that cost some jobs while creating others. By the way, those "facts" about more people being unemployed now than at any other time come straight from Democrat strategy headquarters. Unemployment has been much worse several times in past 80 years. Remember Carter? I think 10% unemployment along with 21% interest rates.

Unreasonable to blame Bush for policies that were started by Nixon, continued by every president since then. The pres tries to take credit for good economy (see Clinton) and gets blamed for a bad one but really, what can he, all by himself, do good or bad?

thumbnail.jpg
    The opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of any third party or the policy of any state agency.

thumbnail.jpg
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Let me add this by asking a question, how many of you use the self checkouts at you local grocery store or discount store? There was an editorial in Sunday's Lexington KY Herald Leader as to how useing those self checkout counters, you are responsible for putting a worker out of a job in that store. It may be a min. wage worker but it is an American worker non the less. The Syndicated Columnist that wrote it is Ellen Goodman and the title of the article is Customers doing jobs of ex-workers Being the Lexington Hearld Leader is a Knight Ridder paper many of you should have access to this article. Take time to read it and see just how much sence she makes. And by the way, the self checkout machines are produced overseas! As to jobs leaving the U.S., when the factory I worked at closed in 89, 3 divisions of that factory went either to Mexico, Tiawan, or Canada. The forth division stayed in the U.S. but was cosolidated into our largest competitor. Bush did not do it all, it has gone down hill since the beginning of the Reagan adminstration.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,067
    edited November -1
    You want to know why jobs leave this country. Let's talk wages I believe every worker should get a fair wage but if the pay rates UAW members get are'nt a factor in these decisions I don't know what is. Below is a chart taken from the UAW's web page

TABLE A
    Examples of Total Hourly Wage Increases
    Janitor Assembler Tool & Die
    Base Rate - Contract End $22.98 $23.57 $27.70
    Skilled trades tool allowance .30
    COLA Fold-In 2.00 2.00 2.00
    New Agreement Base $24.98 $25.57 $30.00
    Beginning COLA float .05 .05 .05
    1st-year COLA .32 .32 .32
    End 1st-year Base Rate plus COLA $25.35 $25.94 $30.37
    2nd-year COLA .40 .40 .40
    End 2nd-year Base Rate plus COLA $25.75 $26.34 $30.77
    3rd-year 2% base rate Increase .50 .51 .60
    3rd-year COLA .44 .44 .44
    End 3rd-year Base Rate plus COLA $26.69 $27.29 $31.81
    4th-year 3% base rate Increase .76 .78 .92
    4th-year COLA .36 .36 .36
    End 4th-year Base Rate plus COLA $27.81 $28.43 $33.09
    (Projected COLA assumes annual nonmedical inflation averaging 2.2%)

A janitor after 4 years of employment gets 27.81 an hour.
    A Tool and Die maker only gets 5.00 more an hour. It is rediculous.
    My dad was a coal miner and a United Mine Workers member. He held a hard dangerous job and participated in strikes and walkouts eo get decent health care and wages but give me a break those pay rates are insane

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: And he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment, and buy one
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wipala, you speaking VOODOO in here, I like it[:D][:D]

As far as the car manufacturing do you realize how much is shipped into and across the USA for the car manufacturers? I have never taken part or drive for any companies who do this but two big players come to mind, Cal-Ark and ,,, been sitting here for five minutes trying to think of their name and it is slipping my mind, I'll think of it later. But anyhow these two trucking companies have thousands or trialers in Mexico right now and thier business is car parts, parts are brought in from wherever to mexico and made in Mexico and cross our borders daily, these car parts then end up in Detroit, Canada and a few other places for new car plants. Nafta allows Mexico and Canada to freely ship these car parts back and forth, Mexico imports many parts and then redistributes them to the US and Canada. It is a monster that is out of control, Nafta. You want to know where all the car parts jobs are going, well they end up in Mexico and finish in Canada for the most part. They may be made in Tiawan or China but Mexico is the distribution center for the biggest part of them, Nafta allows this. So in blaming someone for the job loss today on Bush is not right, the blame lays on the founders and signers of Nafta, who is that? Sure Bush can stop it, it would be nice if he did but to pull the plug on it cold turkey would be devastating to all, we need to slowly get out but at a fast pace. Bush was handed a redheaded step child with an attitude problem, he had 9/11 shoved in his face, I would not want his job right now. When you get past your tempers and fits sit back and ask yourself, "Just what can he do for an immediate resolution"? Not alot, it will take time. Sure he is making some bad decisions and he needs to know the WE THE PEOPLE will not stand for it, we need to speak out, BUT we do not need to put the Anti Christ in office to get thru to him, Electing Kerry or whoever is not going to solve a dang thing except give you the same feelings that the anti gunners get when emotion is used to pass gun laws, the joy of getting rid of Bush will be short lived and within a year you will be wanting him back. George Bush is not perfect, it is our job as Americans to let him know we are not happy with him, but on the same token I respect the hell out of him as a man because if anything he has balls and balls is what we need right now, not a panzie like Clinton.

Take this post for what it is worth from me, I have gotten emails telling me to keep my uneducated backwoods hick * out of political discussions but the way I feel the opnions of us lowly street people on the same level as most of the country need to be heard.

Done.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • trooperchintrooperchin Member Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saxon speaks the truth,
    quote:Posted - 02/09/2004 : 12:10:20 PM

Isolationism has never worked. Nor have protectionist laws. Free trade is the best in the long run. Yes, some people get hurt and in short term things can get real screwed up. But in general, over time, free trade works out best for most people. The economy is always in a state of flux, and changes will occur that cost some jobs while creating others. By the way, those "facts" about more people being unemployed now than at any other time come straight from Democrat strategy headquarters. Unemployment has been much worse several times in past 80 years. Remember Carter? I think 10% unemployment along with 21% interest rates.

Unreasonable to blame Bush for policies that were started by Nixon, continued by every president since then. The pres tries to take credit for good economy (see Clinton) and gets blamed for a bad one but really, what can he, all by himself, do good or bad?

sniper.gif
    koreaAnim.gifUN.bmp

Go Army Beat Navy
    IF you wanna have fun join the cavalry
  • 2gun2gun Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    isolationism doesnt work but as long as we feel we are saving money by buying from walmart and the other exporters of decent jobs to places on the other side of the world, we have ourselves to blame.

there was an article on yahoo today that says that the chinese worker cant make a living wage from wal mart production. there was an article about wal mart workers usually qualify for public assistance a few weeks backs. protectionism isnt the answer but when i look to the future i see hungry americans unable to find work for more than minimum wage. i see people burdened by debt with no savings and a goverment that will have to raise interest rates to carter era rates to get foreigners to put their money here.its a shame because taxing an import is not protectionism its a way to make sure the domestic economy grows. the system we have now only allows for the corporate bottom line to grow by seeking the most labor concessions or going elsewhere.

the u.s. has a cost of living to maintain and while the cost of foriegn made goods will probably rise enough that jobs will begin to open up here(dollars vs euro &etc..). on the cheaper end of things since the chinese dont float their currency we will never be able to compete on price with their wage scale($115per month)when it comes to producing stuff.i used to be in the domestic clothing business and saw it happen. all those car companies that were producing stuff in mexico have been closing them down and heading to asia , it seems mexico has too many labor unions, a stable currency, and wages that are too high compared to asia.

if gw was able to cancel our treaty with the russians because it no longer made sense and ignore kyoto because it put us at a disadvantage, why has he not seen fit to abrogate nafta and gatt? they are certainly harming the job prospects here.

free trade works best if you own stock in the company that is getting the benefit of free trade.long term prospects for free trade are not so bright when youre the economy absorbing the loss of higher paying jobs. what is not being said is that unemployment may be quite a bit higher than the numbers indicate when you consider the amount of partial employment and the number of people who have given up looking for a job. we currently have more downward mobility than we have had at any time since the great depression. we just happen to have enough programs and statisticians that we can fudge the numbers enough that it looks like were getting"productivity improvements" which is code for less people doing more and making less.