In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Elect Bush (C&P)

HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
BUSH MISLEADS PUBLIC ABOUT CAUSE OF DEFICIT

On the same day the White House unveiled its 2005 budget, President Bush calculatingly obscured the reason the nation now faces a record $500 billion deficit. He said, "The reason we are where we are, in terms of the deficit, is because we went through a recession, we were attacked, and we're fighting a war."

But according to the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office, the single biggest cause of the deficit is the president's massive tax cuts for the wealthy -- which he conveniently did not mention. Specifically, 36% of the deficit comes from the tax cuts, while only 31% comes from defense/war-related spending increases, and the rest comes from the economic slowdown. In fact the president actually acknowledged in last year's budget that the deficit is primarily his fault. Table S-3 of Bush's 2004 budget "shows unambiguously that the administration's fiscal 2004 budget proposes a massive annual increase in the deficit" and that without those proposals the
nation would return to surplus. In other words, the president is falsely invoking national security, the terrorist attacks of 9/11, and the war in Iraq to hide the fact that his tax cuts for the wealthy have created the largest deficit in American history.

With 88% of Americans now believing that the deficit is a "very serious" or "somewhat serious problem," the president has also tried to blame government spending for the deficit. But again, as the CBO notes, spending is at "a lower level than in any year from 1975 through 1996." And as the president starves veterans health care, low-income housing, and health care programs of funding, he is pushing more than $1 trillion in new tax cuts, primarily for the wealthy.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.

Comments

• FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HAIRY
    But according to the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office, the single biggest cause of the deficit is the president's massive tax cuts for the wealthy --

When are we going to get past this. The tax cut was for EVERYONE.[:(][:(] Yeah, no one likes the deficit. Spending has been excessive. But DON'T TAKE AWAY MY MONEY. The deficit is from the government side spending too much, NOT from the tax cut.

The tax cut was not some sort of gift or priveledge, it is our money to begin with. Quit blaming the deficit on my keeping my money.[:(!]

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • 2gun2gun Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there are a lt of things to not like bush for but the tax cut is not one of them. we work for our money, the govt does notbut takes a healthy chunk anyway. life not being fair has ordained that there be some wealthy and some poor, some hustlers and some slackers, that is life and it is not fair. what makes it even worse is that a bunch of slackers can get together and live off the folks that hustle by taking the fruits of the hustlers labor away in the guise of making things fairer.what is fair is that if i work for my money let me keep it and use it how i see fit. sure a little taxes are neccessary but what we get now is robbery by legislative fiat

this sort of thing goes for the lawsuit lottery as well. loser pays sounds like it works in the rest of the world and it would reduce costs enough to allow coverage across the board for all those who seem to think this would prevent the truly injured from their day in court, i doubt it. there still are lawsuits brought in the rest of the world so they may have something that works there.
    there are a lot of other ways to save money, the most important is to get america working again in good jobs and get rid of the mcjob atmosphere of paycheck to paycheck living

happiness is a warm gun, preferably preban