In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Next question. How is Wisdom gained?

bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
edited April 2005 in General Discussion
The consensus regarding my previous post,"Which is more valuable,Knowledge or Wisdom?", seems to be Wisdom,which poses the obvious question,how is Wisdom gained,developed,learned?

Comments

• Options
    robkelly2242robkelly2242 Member Posts: 295 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Through experience and study, reflected upon in tranquility.
  • Options
    Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Experience and discression,...

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • Options
    CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    The best way to gain wisdom is through experiance anyone can tell you that.

Revenge is a double edged sword that only kills its wielder
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ..and a healthy dose of cynacism...

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • Options
    edited November -1
    anyone can tell you that, because it is the only way...there are no short-cuts...

• Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Perhaps one does not become wise, but rather remains wise; that a compilation of knowledge does not of itself assure its wise application, nor that it will not be used for ill purpose; that wisdom is an innate quality which governs how one views what one knows (or doesn't know), and which cannot be gained or developed or learned from experience alone.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    In a strange way, I know what you mean....
    I've seen mothers who have had 6 kids, but still don't know what they need to do to make these children into successful human beings. So what is the answer, upbringing...?Instilling in our children a sense that they should strive to become better than they are? Expecting more from them than we expect from the average child?

• Options
    925925 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mistakes, mostly other peoples, if you are a fast learner.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The ability to make such disgresions?

• Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    How is wisdom gained? Lots of beer and sorority chicks.

annoyaliberal.jpgnotmyfault.gif
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    A man with wisdom realizes just how little Knowledge he really has..[:0]

yo-yo.gif
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Classic095
    A man with wisdom realizes just how little Knowledge he really has..[:0]

yo-yo.gif

Which is precisely why one should stick with beer and sorority chicks. [:D]

annoyaliberal.jpgnotmyfault.gif
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Wisdom may be obtained in many ways and wisdom may also be inherent to ones own self. Think of wisdom in one way like a sixed sence. Not every one has it and those that do do not know where it came from, yet there it is. [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O
  • Options
    RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    It should be obvious to the truly wise that wisdom is gained only by reading the posts on this forum. In fact, before Al Gore invented the internet, there was no wisdom at all--except in some parts of the country where chewing-tobacco-stained porches were located.

Otherwise, everyone is basically stupid, except for a very elite few of those posting here--who came to us from distant galaxies chockful o' wisdom.
  • Options
    RadCatRadCat Member Posts: 680 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How many here consider themselves followers of the Bible?

It is written there somewhere, can't remember exactly where, (book, chapter and verse) that if there is something which G-d can-not deny you, it is wisdom. All you need to do is pray/ask for it and it will be given to you. Wisdom is more often viewed as the ability to utilize all of your attributes, innates or learned to obtain the best answer/solution to your present question/situation.

littlema_3littlema_3 Member Posts: 205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    education and age!!

[8D][8D]

Mel

This Too Will Pass
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RadCat

It is written there somewhere, can't remember exactly where, (book, chapter and verse) that if there is something which G-d can-not deny you, it is wisdom. All you need to do is pray/ask for it and it will be given to you. Wisdom is more often viewed as the ability to utilize all of your attributes, innates or learned to obtain the best answer/solution to your present question/situation.

Is this the place of which you write?: James 1:5 If you need wisdom - if you want to know what God wants you to do - ask him, and he will gladly tell you. He will not resent your asking. 6 But when you ask him, be sure that you really expect him to answer, for a doubtful mind is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. 7 People like that should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 They can't make up their minds. They waver back and forth in everything they do.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ramtinxxl
    quote:Originally posted by RadCat

Is this the place of which you write?: James 1:5 If you need wisdom - if you want to know what God wants you to do - ask him, and he will gladly tell you. He will not resent your asking. 6 But when you ask him, be sure that you really expect him to answer, for a doubtful mind is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. 7 People like that should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 They can't make up their minds. They waver back and forth in everything they do.

Something like that. But I prefer the older "King James" version, which is a little bit "less digested/diluted" with modern interpretations. In the "original" version no-one is denied regardless. Perhaps is a different book, chapter and verse. Can't seem to exactly recall.

victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    Uncommon sense of course.Common sense just lets you work for the man.Uncommon sense makes you the man with all the money.For example Dubya ,when the twin towers were leveled Dubya didn" go after the guy that claimed to have done the dasrardly deed.He went after the other guy. Dubya never said that the first guy Ben lying didn't level the twin towers , he just stated that the other guy had weapons of mass distruction. Dubya won the presidentcial race by having uncommon sense. Split the country right down the middle he did, all by using uncommon sense.Now we know for sure that there are no W.O.M.D. Dubya even agrees with this. Ben lying is still at large , but so what.Iraq will soon have true freedom, and a rebuilt country.The U.S.A. can now start paying the same price for gas as the rest of the world has been made to pay in the past. Now thats uncommon sense at work.Just think what uncommon sense can do for your retirement. You could work for walyworld until your eighty, use all the government entitlements , and die a poor man with common sense.[:D][:D][:D]If your still reading this it should be April first, and you are a gop supporter , ready to jump right on my case with more uncommon sense.[:D][:D][:D].Have a good night.[:D][:D][:D]

And this has come to pass,not to stay.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay, how 'bout: James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. 7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. 8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. KJV (Authorized)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ramtinxxl
    Okay, how 'bout: James 1:5 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. 6 But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed. 7 For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord. 8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways. KJV (Authorized)

Ramtinxxl-

Eureka! [:D][:D][:D][:)][;)]

anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Actually, the Bible says: "The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom." I think I'll go with that!
  • Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,596 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree, I belive Prayer and experience lead to wisdom.

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    wisdom starts with the first time you whack your thumb with a hammer[:D][:D]

Delta.gif

tn_people112.gif
  • Options
    mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    quote:How is Wisdom gained?

By height.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

By height.

Yes. That is why the NBA is full of geniuses.
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was younger, it was gained by a leather strap across my *. [;)][:D]

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • Options
    John N.John N. Member Posts: 421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Acid and Black Sabbath played backwards.[:D] But seriously,I agree with experiance,both bad and good,as being the best teacher.What we choose to remember as being a lesson can shape our behaviour.I have heard that in some cases the definition of insanity is repeating the same behaviour and expecting a different result.Sure was the case for me till I learned some things.

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today." -- James Dean
  • Options
    stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    quote:education and age!!

That's an interesting concept littlema.
    But, if it's true, could you explain the apparent lack of anything even resembling "wisdom" in the faculty rooms of our institutes of higher learning??
    OR!! How about in the populated areas of those "BLUE STATES"[?][?]
    While I agree that wise people might choose to further their education, I've never seen any evidence that education, in and of itself, develops wisdom.

"Extremism in the pursuit of liberty is no vice.
    Moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
    Barry Goldwater
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Marijuana, lots and lots of it...[}:)][;)][:o)]

• Options
    tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    Well most of mine was beat into me with the buckle end of a belt. Kids today just don't have the advantage of a old man that would just as soon kill you as look at you.