In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Digital camera

TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
has anyone herd of these cameras and are they any good...
ATIGER DC361 MP Digital Camera

Comments

• TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    I need to get a digital camera for the home inspection business. I dont know much about them. I want one that is easy to use. It will need to be abel to take good clear pictures in the dark (under houses and attics). I will also need a zoom.
    I dont want to spend over $300.00. Any sugestions on which kind and where to purchase it.
    TOOLS

General TOOLS RRG

Don't go blaming the beer. Hank Hill

So much Ice, So much Beer. So little time. Shooter4

I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem. Hank Hill

When I was a child, I thought as a child. But now that I am grown, I just wish I could act like a child and get away with it.
  • TOOLS1TOOLS1 Member Posts: 6,133
    edited November -1
    can anyone suggest a good brand of digital camera so I can post pictures on auction site? Price?? Thanks Red Dog
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    I use an Olympus D-520 zoom. It works well for me. Digital Cameras are alot like PC's. They are going down in price and up in function.
    I got mine at COSTCO. I hope it helps. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    I have a Gateway DC-M50. Its got a zoom and 5.0 mega pixils. I think it was under 300. Check out www.gateway.com they have a good variety and customer service.

Larry
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most any camera on the upper end of your budget will work for everything you mentioned except low-light. Last I looked the low-LUX cameras were quite a bit higher. I don't recall what values were considered "low light" but with a good flash it should still work adequately. Of all the "deals" I've seen, it's hard to beat the Gateway cameras (no, I don't have one - I got a $60 visioneer). [V]

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    I love the Kodak digital cameras.

stirrin.jpg
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rldowns3
    I love the Kodak digital cameras.

stirrin.jpg
    Gotta love that womans GB advertising. Nice Guns has a whole new meaning.[8D]

Larry
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    We have the Fuji A210...small, very easy to use, great pics.. and under 200.....
    There are others, just get a name brand....Sony is good but over priced for what they give you...Fuji, Canon, both great...
    Sony and Kodak are over priced...good yes but not worth the money..

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TOOLS1
    I need to get a digital camera for the home inspection business.

"Need" or "want"?

Most inspection reports I've seen do not have pictures, just descriptions of the problems found.

Can you save money avoiding that expense for now? In a "pinch" you could keep one of those $5-$7 disposible cameras (with flash) with you incase you decided you really needed to snap a picture of something.

I find it's best to spend the smallest amount one can when starting a business; as the business grows and begins generating profits, then it makes sense to invest in more expensive tools--it especially makes sense from a tax angle.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can go with a 2.0 megapixel unit. They are cheap now. Nikon kool pic 2100 . Usually 199 and under.
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Fuji 2650. It has 3x Optical Zoom, 2x digital. If you need to zoom, optical is best, as the lense actually zooms in, where digital just takes what it sees and in a sense, enlarges it, so you get slight pixelation, which is hard to see unless under intense scrutiny. Its 2.0 MP.

It has a few different options which I dont know how to use, such as "White Balance", and "EV" (whatever that means, i think its kind of like shutter speed..

So I usually just set it to auto everything, and it gives a good overall picture, and it has a good flash too. For real close pics, I set it to something called "Macro". Not sure exactly what it does, but it turns off any zoom, and allows you to take detailed, close pictures of items.

Mine was $200 with 4 ni-cd's, charger, and a usb cable, 16 mb card, and a 32 mb card... then I bought a samsonite case for it at wal mart for like 3 bucks.

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Look at the Nikon Coolpix line. My 5700 is above your budget, but there are some nice ones well within it.

He Dog
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought my wife's from Gateway,its a Fuji and an excellant camera.I forget the exact number of pixels,you can take 62 pictures before have you have to down load.If you wish you can record with it for a short time without any audio.

Good Luck!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    I am a city building inspector and find the digital cameras much better for this purpose than the standard 35 mm. With a digital you can take more photos than you need without having the cost of developing those that don't turn out or you don't need. Enhancement of details is also a great feature. I have taken photos of dark crawlspaces in which even the flash didn't seem to help. In many cases I was able to brighten and enhance these picture to the point that details could easily be seen. often it is not necessary to print these photos on photo paper so they can be printed (and reprinted) on standard copier paper. It also makes it easy to email Photos to out of town clients. Sorry I can't recomend one because the one I used was shared with our local PD and recently bit the dust. I just wanted to make note of how usefull they are in this business.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I use a camera for home inspections myself, and want to tell you something you will run in to. Digital cameras go through batteries like crazy. A set of 4 new energizer might last 1 day. Rechargeables only last about 10-15 pictures at most. Those new energizer E2s w/ lithium technology lasted me 1.5 months on my last set, definitely worth the extra cash.
    Ben
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    I've been looking for one to, but have not picked one out maybe this weekend.
  • RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    Personally Id go with at least 5mp, then pics can be enlarged without too much blurring. And get one with a battrey pack.