In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Adjustable sights on CCW gun?

bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Do you guys have adjustable sights on your CCW gun? Why or why not?

I can't decide, quality adjustable sights shouldn't fail but they are slightly larger potentially and could snag clothing but the point of aim would be precise should the situation ever call for a precise shot. I realize most uses of a CCW gun would be instinctive "snap shooting" but I could see the other happen too.
Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bambi, my Pocket nine has millet sights. Non snag.
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    Just for drift, not elevation. If I need to change elevation I would just have to swap front sights.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Why most confrontations occur within ten feet, and if you need sights at ten feet your in trouble[:D][}:)][}:)][:o)]

flageagle.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Nope. Drift, but that should be factory set. I still needed to adjust on one of mine.
    I'd go with a sighting trench if I could, like the Kimber Ultra RCP II.

I might pull the sites off my Para and shoot it like that for a few months.
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fixed sights on mine.

A buddy has a 1911 with no sights at all. He put a plug were the rear sight went. His thinking is any need for the gun will be at close range and without time to take aim.

He has practiced with the gun to where he can keep all rounds in the "kill area" at 7 yards.

Rafter-S
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fixed.

I have a commander with big Millet adjs on it and its a pain. They will only be there till I find another set I like. For combat/self defense shooting I dont even use the sights for the first two shots. If they are far enough away for me to need sights then they are far enough away to be ran from.

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Fixed, low profile. No snags.

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fixed nite-sights.However I have always practiced point shooting at 50ft with my CCW guns.

Love them Pre-64's!!!!-Bob
  • Kidd_CKidd_C Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fixed sights here. I can't call it my CCW gun yet though, still waiting on the Missouri Supreme Court.

If someone is shooting or coming at me with a weapon chances are, I am going to be thinking about a lot of other things rather than my sighting picture. I guess that is where a lot of practice with your CCW gun and a gun with good pointablity would come in to play.

You can't judge a book by its cover, but that doesn't mean you can't do a report on it.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fixed here.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've carried a lot of Glocks by now; finally settled on the G30 for a while. Have yet to own a Glock with adjustable sights. I see no advantages, and definitely potential disadvantages, like the fact that most adjustables are not made with snag-free in mind. I think my PPK/S happens to have a drift screw but it came that way and the rear sight is still low profile. My 1076 has night sights, which DO make some sense on a carry gun. I too practice around 7 yards for defense, occasionally even closer for point shooting. A carry handgun really isn't for long range work unless its tricked out for hunting, and then you'll often have a scope. I don't see much point in adjustables on a semi-auto -- 5"+ revolvers maybe, maybe a Desert Eagle, but very few semi-autos will attract me wearing adjustables.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • springer1springer1 Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    none filed down
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    quote:A buddy has a 1911 with no sights at all. He put a plug were the rear sight went.

I'm thinking of the same thing, with maybe a pinstripe along the top of the slide.

Where does one get the correct plug?

This is what I really want:
    rcp_detail02.jpg
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    No sights needed at all for CCW firearm.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, standard Trijicon's it is then... I'll save my adjustables for my Glock 20 (home use).
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Sights? I don't need no stinkin sights!

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Fixed Sights

NSDQ!

"Many free countries have lost their liberty, and ours may lose hers; but if she shall, be it my proudest plume, not that I was the last to desert; but that I never deserted her." -President Abraham Lincoln