In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Slide in camper for short bed truck

2»

Comments

• Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,372 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Perfect
    No problem James. Hope you can get past JBLM with all the traffic.[xx(][xx(][B)]

Very good point, I'd have to try and time it just right to get through that mess!
    I try to give the JBLM folks a break, they are the men and women serving on behalf of our country (for the most part).

But back to campers, I think you'd be better off hauling a trailer. You can likely tow a bit more than you can put in the bed, and with trailer brakes, that isn't an issue. Hope you find something you want. [:)]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by drobs

I'd go buy Suburban for that money and put a cot in it.

Hyjack alert!

I really want to go buy a Suburban....I've been drooling over this one...

http://www.berglundcars.com/used/Chevrolet/2009-Chevrolet-Suburban-d5389f750a0a00de002f3f59df48dd9d.htm
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hauled a crank up 8 foot slide in camper on a half ton truck for years. It hardly affected the gas mileage. Look at them, they work out very well, and you can leave the tail gate on, just put it down and the camper comes out to the back of the tail gate. they are fairly light, have everything but a toilet, and go up and down in a matter of minits. My particular one was a Texan, but they changed names due to some lawsuit. I put it in my garage, but it had a ten foot door.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all of the input folks. It was much appreciated. As it stands now, I'll probably scrap the idea of a lightweight slide in and go with another type vehicle. I just really hate to get rid of the old truck since she has been so good to us and is still in such great condition for her age. Now, if I could just find an 18 foot Class B camper that's in a like condition that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I'd get it and sell my GMC!
    What's next?
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Sam06
    I am not a big fan of slide in campers but if was going to get one I would get one from one these

http://www.travellitecampers.com/truckcampermodels.htm

Did Travel Lite ever update from the 70's with their Upholstery? Saw them at a local outdoors trade show last year. The interior of their campers looked as if they were stuck in a 70's time warp.
  • Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have camped on the beach @ Cape Lookout National Seashore for about 20 years. Did tent camping for about 15 of them, so no stranger to a tent. Couple years back I bought a big old (heavy) slide-in camper and upgraded to an old crewcab F350. Talk about a comfort upgrade!

Air bags would take care of added weight for you.

p.s. Pic of some of the folks getting ready to kick off DIFF club surf fishing tourny last year.

IMGP0331_zps72f5ecc1.jpg
  • Options
    bambambambambambam Member Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to work at a place that had a "Rec Club". They had 2 nice small travel trailers, 4 nice Jayco pop-ups, 2 Bass boats & 4 float boats.

I use to check out a pop-up and a boat every other weekend(free, you filed the fuel back up).

I loved having access to the pop-ups because they pulled behind my F-150 like a dream. I pulled one to Cumberland Lake down south for vacation.

When I get me another truck bought, I'll be looking for a pop-up in good shape to use.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    It's hard to get too many comments on this subject.

Does anyone have any experience with the Conversion Camper Vans in the 18 19 foot lengths? If I get something like that I'll just sell my GMC truck.
    What's next?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all of the input folks. It was much appreciated. As it stands now, I'll probably scrap the idea of a lightweight slide in and go with another type vehicle. I just really hate to get rid of the old truck since she has been so good to us and is still in such great condition for her age. Now, if I could just find an 18 foot Class B camper that's in a like condition that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, I'd get it and sell my GMC!
    If you go the travel trailer route you get to keep your truck. Just sayin![:I]
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1

Does anyone have any experience with the Conversion Camper Vans in the 18 19 foot lengths? If I get something like that I'll just sell my GMC truck.
    Yes, I have. I wouldn't waste my time on them. They seem really ill suited to the purpose. The ride is cushy but they don't have a lot of reliable function beyond that, IME.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    edited November -1

Yes, I have. I wouldn't waste my time on them. They seem really ill suited to the purpose. The ride is cushy but they don't have a lot of reliable function beyond that, IME.

Reliable function, as in the camping aspect?
    What's next?
  • Options
    mr.tboltmr.tbolt Member Posts: 449
    edited November -1
    I had a pop-up camper for a couple of years, I thought it was great. I have a crew cab silverado, and I can't see putting a slide-in camper on it. My bed is either 5'5" or 5'8". I'll have to measure it to be sure. If I were to get back into camping, I would look at the 19' hybrids.
  • Options
    yonsonyonson Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have been using pop-up camper on 8 ft.box, older F150 for couple yrs. Have air lifts & V6 engine. Gas mileage @ hwy. speeds went from 17 to 10-11 & speeds over 65 not good option as mileage goes south fast. Wind resistance substantial. Truck bucks from dirty air from passing vehicles, the bigger the worse. Wife likes handiness of the camper (it is her rig) so that is deciding factor. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Reliable function, as in the camping aspect?
    Yes.
    And fiery auto crashes
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,549 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar
    quote:Originally posted by drobs

I'd go buy Suburban for that money and put a cot in it.

Hyjack alert!

I really want to go buy a Suburban....I've been drooling over this one...

http://www.berglundcars.com/used/Chevrolet/2009-Chevrolet-Suburban-d5389f750a0a00de002f3f59df48dd9d.htm

I can't do white. Give me silver or gold. Dark gray is really the color I'd want.

I walk by a good (I wont say the the number) armored burbs twice a day. I want one.

Going back to the bed campers, swear those things were going for $5k to $6k new a few years back at the local RV shop. Thinking these web prices are Jacked Up.

Used examples:
    http://tinyurl.com/lksebuc

http://tinyurl.com/poupngp

Really used:
    http://tinyurl.com/pzw574d
  • Options
    Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Kimi: Here are a couple of other options....

moby1-teardrop-trailer-1.jpeg.492x0_q85_crop-smart.jpg
    moby1-teardrop-trailer-2.jpeg
    http://www.treehugger.com/sustainable-product-design/moby1-teardrop-trailer.html

I have a friend who ones one of these Fleetwood's, and he drags it EVERYWHERE!! His is the E1 Model and he would sooner part with a child than that camping rig.

fleetw11.jpg
    evolution-camping-trailer-interior.jpg
    http://www.roamingtimes.com/rvreports/fleetwood-evolution-folding-camping-trailer.aspx

NS