In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• Options
    mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are the first three letters in the web address? Got your answer.

They might as well have put kitten there. I don't even consider it a bug, much less dangerously cute.
  • Options
    wiplashwiplash Member Posts: 7,146 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    And that sure as hell isn't a Brown Recluse they have pictured there!
    There is no such thing as Liberal Men, only Liberal Women with Penises.'
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,964 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right you are whiplash, it is not. The scorpion shown is African, and what is up with "Though not poisonous, Millipedes carry venom that can cause an allergic reaction in some people."? If they carry venom, they are poisonous by definition.

And for the record, not a single animal shown is a bug, and most are not even insects. Some nice photography though.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,599 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    they left out the VW bug [:D] I bet its hurt more people tan all the ones pictured
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    Have to add. Wasp the sting is not so bad. But let one of them Bite you and that thing hurts forever.

The also list Fire ant. Well for me that one is dangerous. I was bitten by a lot of them at one time. Now one gets me and I have a reaction.
  • Options
    mag00mag00 Member Posts: 4,719 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ditch-Runner
    they left out the VW bug [:D] I bet its hurt more people tan all the ones pictured

That's a good one. Caught me off guard.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by grumpygy
    Have to add. Wasp the sting is not so bad. But let one of them Bite you and that thing hurts forever.

The also list Fire ant. Well for me that one is dangerous. I was bitten by a lot of them at one time. Now one gets me and I have a reaction.

I had a professional colleague who died of wasp stings. A German species has been introduced to the US on the East Coast and has now made it to the Mid-West. Much more than native species, this wasp will make mass attacks on intruders. Like other bees and wasps they sting and spray pheromone at the same time that tells others, "sting here." He received over 100 stings.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by He Dog

I had a professional colleague who died of wasp stings. A German species has been introduced to the US on the East Coast and has now made it to the Mid-West. Much more than native species, this wasp will make mass attacks on intruders. Like other bees and wasps they sting and spray pheromone at the same time that tells others, "sting here." He received over 100 stings.

Been lucky each wasp attack had some water nearby to get away from them. But them sneaky buzzards will wait for you to surface and continue to attack. So I have learned to go in one place and come out a distance away.
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,599 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sorry to hear that's a tuff way to go and wonder why the news has not picked up on the wasp issue . 1st I have heard of it

(quote:Originally posted by He Dog

• Options
    edited November -1
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vespula_germanica

It has also been introduced in New Zealand, Australia, South America and other places.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1

red wasp sting feels like being hit with a 2x4 with a nail in it, leaves a whelp the size of a quarter
  • Options
    competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/the-10-most-dangerous-bugs-to-watch-out-for-this-summer/ss-BBBhbgA?li=BBnba9O#image=1

#2 think they are nuts.

Yes, they are ridiculous putting "spiders" on that list, particularly including the tarantula.

Fruedian will be by later to debunk that stuff about spiders they're suggesting.

And, yes, "wiplash," that is certainly not a Brown Recluse -- the Brown Recluse has become the object of tremendous (internet-driven) BS; even the medical community has fallen for myths about it, making diagnosis of "Brown Recluse bite" where the spiders don't exist!
  • Options
    FreudianSlippersFreudianSlippers Member Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by competentone
    Fruedian will be by later to debunk that stuff about spiders they're suggesting.

I'm not sure why this article would designate tarantulas as dangerous, let alone in the "10 most dangerous bugs." No species of tarantula is deadly, but even the ones with the more potent venom are limited to the Old World (Africa, Asia, and Australia).

The genus of tarantula depicted in the photo, Brachypelma, has mild venom and is not even encountered in the United States except in the pet trade. (They are considered to be beginner-friendly species.)

The tarantulas found in the United States belong to the genus Aphonopelma. They have mild venom and a gentle disposition. Juveniles and females are rarely seen outside their burrows; it's the mature males wandering for mates that people normally encounter.

The photo accompanying the brown recluse (Loxosceles reclusa), as wiplash noted, is not even in the same family as the brown recluse, and the spider in the photo is not medically significant. The sources where this photo was originally found only identify it as a "brown spider." The bogus brown recluse ID seems to have been taken from a pest control blog.

Knowing the geographic area where a spider was found is critical in identifying it. However, the eye arrangement suggests that it belongs to the nursery web spider family (Pisauridae), and if it was found in the U.S. or southern Canada, it might be a young six-spotted fishing spider (Dolomedes triton).

The best way to identify a brown recluse is by its eye arrangement. Most spiders have eight eyes arranged in 2-3 rows. A recluse has three pairs of eyes arranged in a triangle. Additionally, unless you live in the red zone on this map, you don't need to worry about the brown recluse at all.