In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Another computer question......

crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
For the past couple of days, I've been bombarded with Popup stuff....I haven't changed anything that I know of and my Norton doesn't show a virus or anything. I've got a pop swatter with my microsoft gizmo, but it doesn't seem to take care of it. Can anyone recommend a popup blocker that I can download? I would appreciate the info.....thanks.

Comments

• 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    I think have my sofware is just to block crap.
    This works good
    It's background runner unless you sit it up to notify you what it blocked (not a good idea)
    http://www.southbaypc.com/NoAds/

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.
    [Teddy Roosevelt]
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're on XP and the popups say "Messenger" in the title bar, you don't need a popup killer, you need to turn off Windows Messenger. Go to Start/Run and type "services.msc" and you'll see Messenger on the list of services, probably set on Automatic. If you only disable it, it will come back on again when you re-start, so you have to turn it off. It's supposed to be for dialog boxes in Windows pertaining to errors, technical messages and such, but the spammers have hijacked it; so it has to be blocked one way or the other. There are plug-ins you can get for some of your software if you prefer.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Offeror is right, and I disabled my MS Messanger to stop it.[;)]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I installed the Google Tool Bar and it works great.So far in two months it's stopped 654 pop ups,and it's FREE.

[:p][:)][^][8D][:p][:)][^][8D][:p][:)][^][8D]

standard.jpg
    Limerick.gif
    It's my cat's world. I'm just here to open cans.

We got rid of the kids. The cat was allergic.

ATF,Eagle Guns
  • FreudianSlippersFreudianSlippers Member Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It might be Microsoft Messenger, which can be disabled, but you could also have adware on your system. (Norton does not detact adware or spyware.) Adaware is one program you could use to search for adware and remove it. (Adaware is freeware.)

Jacqueline
    www.gratuitouslylongdomainname.net

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants and the creed of slaves." -- William Pitt (1783)
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks folks...I've got Windows 98 Second Edition...I'll go in and disable Messenger if it is on and will also install the google bar. I don't see the adware stuff in my "Install/Remove" gizmo. The most anoying popup that I get every few minutes is the one that says "Remove all Popups"....stupid.
    Thanks......
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Crims, I've got an older free version of Pop-up Stopper that hasn't ever let an unwanted pop-up through in the 3 years or so that I've been using it. Now, they sell thier product, but this was a free version. They no longer host it on thier site, but I have it on mine. It's located here: http://bambihunter.myftp.org/files/PopUpStopper26.exe
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
    edited November -1
    Bambi...Once again you have come to my rescue...[:D] I have already downloaded the google one, but I'll download this one too. I wonder if they will conflict with each other? Thanks for the help............again. [:D][:D][^][^]
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It'd be kind of redundant to run both of them. Just use the one you have installed, if it does what you need it to do then don't mess with this one.
    I liked this one because it took hardly any resources, it was free, and had no advertising, and best of all - it works!

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
    edited November -1
    I downloaded Spyware and searched for any adware stuff and found 22 hidden files. Couldn't delete them without first paying $39.95, but I could put them in an ignore file. Did that. Now, I haven't had any problems from popups since I first posted about this. Thanks a million everyone!!!
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Ad-aware is free...gets rid of the spyware...

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    All the links I have posted for the spyware are free.
    Some have an upgraded version that is not but you don't need that one

http://www.southbaypc.com/NoAds/

http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,22262,00.asp

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.
    [Teddy Roosevelt]
    edited November -1
    crims -- If you're using Windows 98 I don't think your problem is Messenger which seems to have debuted on NT, 2000 and XP. You can probably use PopUpStopper or PopUpKiller with great success. I have tried to install that Google toolbar at least twice while using PopupStopperPro and both times Google started caused my browser to fault. I had to uninstall it. But I'm on ME, which is known to have some bugs, so you may find Google works for you even with a popup killer. (It's nice to have that convenient search bar up there so I suppose I could try to install Google and disable the popup block feature.) And AdAware 6 is well worth running too. There's still a free version of that at lavasoft.com. Adware gets on my machine independently of using a popup killer, which only keeps them from appearing -- it's two different tasks to clear ad cookies and stop popups.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

edited November -1
    To summarize, there are three separate tasks that will help people with ad and popup problems, all of which can be installed and run to clear up its own set of problems.

1) for XP, 2000 and NT users, a method to turn off the Windows Messenger service (not to be confused with Instant Messenger service).

2) An ad-ware/spyware scanner like AdAware 6 to clean out data mining cookies from your system. It has its own database of known marketing-related cookies and does a good job of eliminating only the "bad" cookies.

3) A popup blocker, like PopupStopper or PopupKiller, to keep those annoying extra windows from opening. You can set PopupStopper to permit extra windows on sites where they are necessary to use the resource.

These three things can all be done without conflicting with one another. Hope this assists somebody. (I'm not a computer nerd, but I could play one on TV.... [8D])

edited November -1
    offeror....thanks for the info. I downloaded the google thing and disabled the popup stopper that came with the MSN package...so far, so good. [^][^] Not one popup since yesterday when I was getting one every few seconds.....[V]
  • FreudianSlippersFreudianSlippers Member Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by crims40
    Couldn't delete them without first paying $39.95, but I could put them in an ignore file. Did that. Now, I haven't had any problems from popups since I first posted about this.
    You'll still want to delete them. Adaware (which is freeware) will delete most of those files.

Jacqueline
    www.gratuitouslylongdomainname.net

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants and the creed of slaves." -- William Pitt (1783)