In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I need help, not mental kind, moral kind!

jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I am on a certain wildlife organization local chapter founding committee. I got wrangled into judging the entries into our yearly $500 scholarship for High School seniors that submit an essay and paperwork. Well I got them tonight and all 3 of the kids I know through either 4-H shooting sports, little league baseball, or little league/high school football! All 3 have been on teams with my kids but are a year older. I will call these kids Kid A, Kid B, and Kid C. Here is some details on each:

Kid A is a good kid. His parents are upper middle class and he is into hunting, fishing, and sports as well as farm related activities. He has had a hard time in school with his studies but useing tutors and learning help centers, he has brought his grades up to a good GPA. He wants to go to trade school. Really can not say anything bad about him or his parents, good people. His essay had some mispelled words, typed and really not that convincing. His family can afford trade school for him without any trouble. He did state what his goals are in life. I can say a lot of good about him and his whole family.

Kid B is from the "rich" class here and his parents have had most everything gave to them on a silver platter as has he. He plays sports, hunts, fishs, and does farm related activities. His grades are all A's but he is also a star on one of the schools sports team! He has received a free ride to college due to this as did his older brother. His parents can afford his schooling if he had not goten a free ride anyway but he is a decent kid. Cannot blame him for the
"sins" of his parents who have money and flaunt it under the noses of those that do not! His parents are disliked by many including me and are into local politics! Still the kid is a good kid! His essay was typed, looks professional, and no errors but he did not mention his goals in life at all!

Kid C is from a poor family who hunts to eat, fishs, farms, and the kid restores antique farm machinery. He has struggled with his grades but they are within the guidelines as to GPA to qualify for the scholarship. His family can never afford trade school for him so he will have to work hard to attend but I do know he will do it because he is a kid that sets his mind to something and does it. His essay was hand written, one spelling error, and he did explain his goals in life. Of the 3 his goals are set at what he knows he is best at. I know his family and they are really good people.

Here is my moral problem, if I take into account grades, GPA, and letters from other people into account, Kid B scores higher. If I take into account need wise, Kid C is the best choice. Kid A falls in the middle! Kid A could use the money but if he did not receive it, I do not believe it would hinder him in going to trade school. My gut feeling tells me that Kid C needs the $500 scholarship more. Kid B already has a free ride to college and his letters of support are from people that one could say did it for political reasons. Kid A and C have letters from teachers and members of the community that have no political agendas.

OK, now I have told you what I need help with. Basic question is, who is more deserving of this $500 scholarship? Who ever wins goes on to compete for a $5000 dollar state scholarship and if they were to win that, then on to a national $10,000 scholarship competition. I am asking the GB community to help me because I know we come from all different backgrounds on here. If you do choose to offer advice, please tell me your reasoning because a young man's education is on the line here. What really bothers me is no girls entered for the scholarship! Thanks for any input. I and another gentleman have to make the final decision in 3 weeks!

"we are but men... no more, no less..."

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would grade the essay on the merits and not include the background of the kids. If you include the background, then you are adding a degree you should not. just my opinion, Don.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • leadlead Member Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since it obviously is too late to judge these essays without knowing who wrote them, I beleive it is ethical to judge them on the merits of each paper and the student who wrote it. It sounds like all three were good papers, one student stands out as having the most to gain from this,student "c".

Hard work pays off in the future. Laziness pays off now.
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suggest you not take into account any other issues other than the essays. Even with what you know about the families and their finances, take into consideration there are likely lots of things you don't know. And the families and "needs" are not the issue. It's the essays.

If the underprivligded kids are of the caliber you say they are, they will do OK in life without you making exceptions for them.

Also, society making exceptions for the so-called needy, is one of the things that perpetuates the needy class.

My humble 2.5-cents worth,
    Rafter-S
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    The kid thats getting free ride because of sports will not need the money. He will end up using the money for himself buying cloths or stuff like that. If kid c is that poor most of his schooling will be picked up by the state or he will be given add and he will use the money to support him self also. the middle class kid will mostlikely need it the most because his parents money will prolly fall just above the need line leaving them to pay a big burdone, I dont know the there stories but id give it to c

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Every year I see kids who have college paid for either through momma and dadda or because of someother scholarships yet they keep applying to "resume' build"

Maybe you should look at it this way. A scholarship is not only on what they have done but what they can or can not do without it.

My son had a FULL ride on acedemics. It was merits that led him there, but what he did with it -- finished in 3 years instead of 4 freeing up the scholarship money that 4th year so someone else could have it.

I judged a science fair years ago and gave the Air Force Award to a kid that studied how magentic fields affected ants ability to navigate -- simple project, aluminium pie plate, cube of sugar, various ants and a magnet that he place under the plate to see if the ants would be affected. I could tell the kid was what most people would classify as a loser or a misfit and sure would never succeed in sports. All the other judge's just walked by. I stopped to listen and was intrigued that this kid came up with the idea on his own and followed through. I got a letter from his teacher about 3 months later explaining to me that when the kid got back home the school recoginized his award, the paper ran a little blurb, his classmates were all congratulating him. She told me that award did more for his self esteem than anything every had for the poor kid. She also told me he began to apply himself to his class work. Who knows where the kid is now.

So maybe, just maybe, one of those three could use a boost which would be worth more than the $500 scholarship.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Were the essays supposed to be on a given topic?

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,875 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I would go with kid C. All things being somewhat equal, he could stand to gain the most from your help. The other two will go on to higher education with or without your help. Kid C might not be able to make it happen without scholarships.

That's what I would do, and why I'd do it.

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Kid C. Sounds like he could use the help and it won't be hurting the other two. Giving him a hand up won't, in my opinion, perpetuate a cycle of neediness. If he has goals and you help him achieve them, you were a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    From what you have stated in the post, Kid C should be the one who is awarded the scholarship...

quote:kid a

His essay had some mispelled words, typed and really not that convincing. His family can afford trade school for him without any trouble.

quote:kid b
    His essay was typed, looks professional, and no errors but he did not mention his goals in life at all!

quote:kid c
    . His essay was hand written, one spelling error, and he did explain his goals in life. Of the 3 his goals are set at what he knows he is best at.

The above sentences have just explained why kid c should be awarded it...After all, scholarships are based on merit and need usually....In your own words, kid c wrote the better essay and is also in need of the funds...He also sounds like he has matured a bit more than the other two knows what he wants for himself in the future...and is willing to work to get it...

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion

Hudson.gif
    edited November -1
    Quote: Kid C. Sounds like he could use the help and it won't be hurting the other two

Are you charged to judge essays or "give" help to the needy?

Rafter-S
  • jaoobjaoob Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would have no problem awarding it to student C. Handwritten essay seems a more personal touch. It says to me he wants it more to do this, he got where he is without tutors or money. I admire him for trying.

Jim
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    Yes if all things being equal and you judge the essays on their
    own merit. I would go with kid C

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not,
    and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Jim... I'm surprised you even asked. No moral dilemma - Kid C.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jjmitchell60
    I got wrangled into judging the entries into our yearly $500 scholarship for High School seniors that submit an essay and paperwork....

...I and another gentleman have to make the final decision in 3 weeks!

You're not real clear on what the criteria is for winning the scholarship; if you're judging, there should be guidelines on what you are supposed to consider.

If you are supposed to consider the other things you know personally about the students then you can use that information; if you are not supposed to consider those other things you list here and you just can't ignore them, then you should excuse yourself from the judging and let the other man and someone else make the decision.

Your conclusion that, "a young man's education is on the line here" may be "oversimplifying things." You don't know what the future is nor what your actions might cause. Consider: If you "feel sorry" for Kid C and award to him, he might then go to school, and with the extra money not have to work some night; that night he goes to a party and has a few beers then makes a bad decision to drive home and ends up killing a girl who was studying biology and would have discovered a cure for cancer if she had lived!

There are an infinite number of other possibilities--either "good" or "bad"--which could result from who gets the scholarship. There is no way to predict any of them; it is impossible to say that your decision will be the determining factor in whether or not something "good" happens (ie. a young man gets an education).

Just judge using the information you're supposed to use and then let the chips fall where they will.
    edited November -1
    The way I see your charge, you are like a baseball umpire. Your job is to call balls and strikes the way you see them to the best of your ability, and without emotion. Your job is not to decide what the game's rules are--that is for the baseball league...or who should win...or who it would have been nice to see win. Your job is to simply call it like you see it.

I am probably coming across as heartless and uncaring. That's not the case. I've seen this before where "special circumstances" were taken into consideration by those who weren't charged to do it. And it dug a hole for both the digger and the digee. Like the saying, "no good deed goes unpunished."

Unless you get special judging instructions from the higher ups, you would be best served to judge the essays on merit alone.

My humble 2.5-cents worth,
    Rafter-S
    edited November -1
    competentone-- You're too quick for me. You beat me to it.[:D]

Rafter-S
  • BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I too have served on a scholarship selection committee and it is good to see that you take this job seriously. Let me put in my 2 cents:

Kid A - typed essay, multiple errors, stated goals

Kid B - typed essay, no errors, no goals

Kid C - handwritten essay, one error, well thought out goals

I will make 2 assumptions here. 1 that typing is not required and 2 goals were to be part of the essay.

Kid A errors show a bit of laziness in not checking his work.

Kid B lack of goals would show incompleteness of thought

Kid C one error should have been corrected, good thought

On those merits alone, social status not withstanding, Kid C would win. If essay was to be typed, Kid C is out, such equipment is available to anyone. If goals were not part of the essay, Kid B should win, due to quality appearance of paper.

That is how I see this and I hope I helped. Also, thanks for caring enough about this one small duty to put thought into it and/or ask for help to make the right decision.

KC
  • old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not to tough kid c for all the reasons kid a and b dont deserive it, kid b had spell check and typed yea on his own PC may have even lifted it from the web, kid a well he cant even keep it together long enough in class he need help from tutors!

psalms 16
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMHO-
    To late now but I feel the proper way to do this judging would be to have a second party blank out the names & judge each on the essay's merits alone, unless it was your duty to judge the kids.
    [^][^]barto

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.-JFK
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Member Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If goals were part of the essay, B is out. If spelling errors were part of the criteria, then A is out. If typing was part of the requirements, then C is out.

No moral question, either they did the work or they didnt.

Those people who see nothing but grey areas, no black and white, are lost in the fog.
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    JJ
    quote:Kid A - typed essay, multiple errors, stated goals

Kid B - typed essay, no errors, no goals

Kid C - handwritten essay, one error, well thought out goals

I will make 2 assumptions here. 1 that typing is not required and 2 goals were to be part of the essay.

Kid A errors show a bit of laziness in not checking his work.

Kid B lack of goals would show incompleteness of thought

Kid C one error should have been corrected, good thought

On those merits alone, social status not withstanding, Kid C would win

Following this track I'd have to go with C as well.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I scrolled all the way to the end to reply without reading others opinions, wouldn't want to be affected by that.

I'd pick kid C. I expect my answer might be different if I didn't know all the kids backgrounds and pasts. Here's what I'd do...vote for kid C, get him into the finals, then help him on that project to win the larger scholarship. That way you feel good about helping him. Plus he gets what he deserves.
    Good luck with this, hard place to be....

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
    edited November -1
    One last thing and then I will shut up (which I'm glad everyone will be glad of):

Be careful to not let rationalization overcloud your judgment. Too often we rationalize decisions to satisfy our desires so as not have to deal with harsh reality.

Rafter-S

"What is truth? No wonder jesting Pilate turned away. The truth, it has a thousand faces -- show only one of them, and the whole truth flies away! But how to show the whole? That is the question."
    --Thomas Wolfe, "You Can't Go Home Again" (1934)
  • tajjntajjn Member Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have also had to judge scholarship papers in the past, and just based on your comments about the papers it would seem that "C" seemed to you to have done a better and more complete job on his paper. You said that "B" had not indicated his goals and that apparently was a requirement so he should be eliminated, and "A" had more errors and was not as convincing. Just stick to the content of the papers and leave the politcal and need issues out of your decision. Good Luck.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JJ, I read your post and the commentaries carefully. It would have been better, frankly, if you'd not known the names of those who submitted the essays. If you have this responsibility again, have the personal information deleted so you can be more objective. It's not clear if the facts mirror the comments made by BoltActionMan, but if so, then I think he nailed it. Obviously, "need" is not a criteria, or you wouldn't be asking us . . . but that means that if you are to be honest, you cannot consider it as much as you might like to do so, or as much as it might be desirable to. You have to go with the applicant who did the best job based on the essay. It sounds like this might well be "C," even without the need issue.

Your problem is that you know these kids and their families. As others have noted, the award could go to any of them based on any number of extraneous factors which you may or may not know, but you are not God and you can't use those other factors. If you can, blot those factors out of your mind, look at the papers in isolation and award the scholarship based solely on what is in front of you. It is the fairest thing to do.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Kid C...and I wouldn't look back....

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • benzappedbenzapped Member Posts: 328 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jjmitchell,

Looks like others were kind enough to respond to your post. Will you be kind enough to get back with us and tell who you pick and why?
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you should give it to C. [:)]

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I beleive that scholarships should be based not only on qualifications, but also on financial need.

Regardless of his qualifications I feel that Kid B should be ruled out from the start. Besides his family wealth, he has a full ride to college. I am surprised that the rules of the scholarship do not disqualify him in the first place. His winning in my opinion would undermine the purpose of the scholarship.

As far as Kids A & C go, you'll have to weigh their qualifications AND their financial need. If Kid C's qualifications are equal to or better than Kid A, then Kid C is surely the choice. However, if Kid A's qualifications are far higher than Kid C's you'll have to consider that too. I wouldn't hold it against Kid C that his essay is not typed, as long as it is neatly written.

Good luck with your decision.
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    I will let all know who we pick and why when we do it. I have the rest of the month to think on it and another gentleman is also in on deciding. This way we keep each other straight![;)] The other man is a person I look up to and respect his opinion more than most. He is also a Shooting Sports Coach so we are not strangers. We do have some guide lines to go by and I left them out of the post on purpose. When we decide on which one I will also tell all of you what guide lines we had to go by and our reasoning behind our choice. We had to draw up guide lines last year because the person who got the scholarship the year before(2 years ago) also was convicted of poaching! We had a problem with giving a wildlife scholarship to a kid that gets convicted of poaching! All that happened 2 years ago though and the kid that did receive it last year was a model choice. Thanks to all that offered their opinions, I really wanted to see if I was on track with my own ideas. You would not believe how much all of your opinions do help and I do mean ALL!

"we are but men... no more, no less..."
  • Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ideally you would be impartial. Ideally the russian judge gives the gold to Nancy Kerrigan. Ideally the Korean judge gives the boxing match to Roy Jones jr. Ideally Moses Malone would have fouled out of at least one game in his carreer. Officiating is always open to personal judgment and the professional judges give calls to their favorites all the time. You should give it to Kid C because you sound like you think he would make something out of himself with your help. Nothing wrong with that.[:)]

Mad Dog
  • FreudianSlippersFreudianSlippers Member Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Generally judges are not supposed to know the kids. I would tell the person in charge that I knew all three of the students and didn't want to be biased in my judgment.

However, if that is not an option, do not consider the background of the students (especially if the judging guidelines do not say anything about considering background information) -- otherwise, your decision has much of the flavor of those based on affirmative action.

Jacqueline
    www.gratuitouslylongdomainname.net

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants and the creed of slaves." -- William Pitt (1783)