In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

And so the world turns...

Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Never thought I would see this in my lifetime...

First Troops of Main Japan Contingent in Iraq
Feb 8, 2004

IRAQ-KUWAIT BORDER (Reuters) - The first Japanese troops from the main body of their forces entered Iraq Sunday in Tokyo's most controversial and risky mission since World War II.

Some 80 members of the Ground Self-Defense Force crossed the border from Kuwait into southern Iraq early in the morning in a convoy of 25 jeeps, trucks and armored vehicles emblazoned with white-and-red Japanese flags.

There is much concern in Japan about the safety of Japanese troops in Iraq to help reconstruction after last year's U.S.-led war ousted Saddam Hussein. Any casualties could have serious political consequences for Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi.

"I am very tense because this is a serious mission," Maj. Itaru Murakami, dressed in camouflage fatigues, flak jacket and helmet, told Reuters at the border. "But we are well-prepared."

They will use their weapons, including Japanese-made submachine guns and anti-tank guns, only in self-defense.

The unit -- part of a contingent of about 600 soldiers -- will first set up a camp on the outskirts of the southern Iraqi city of Samawa. They will provide medical services, building water supply and other postwar reconstruction activities.

The total deployment is expected to involve up to 1,000 army, air force and navy personnel in Iraq and nearby countries.

Japanese troops have not fired a shot in combat since 1945 and the Iraq mission has been criticized by some in Japan as a violation of the country's pacifist constitution.

The dispatch was made possible by a law passed in July, which in line with the constitution limits military activity to "non-combat zones," a murky concept in Iraq, where there are almost daily attacks on U.S. forces and their allies.

"I'm excited because this is the first mission for Japan in a long time," said Master Sgt. Toshio Abe. "We are going to Iraq on a humanitarian mission, to help the people, to help in reconstruction."

The 250-mile journey from the border to Samawa to the northwest was expected to last several hours.

Asked how he felt as he prepared to enter Iraq, Maj. Etsuji Yukuwa told Reuters: "So, so. I am excited... but of course I feel that maybe there will be terrorist (attacks) against us. I have some fear."

Many of the troops will be rotated every three months during the Iraq assignment, Japanese officers said.

An advance team of ground troops arrived in Samawa last month. The rest of the main contingent is expected to leave Japan later in February. A small navy team will arrive this month in Kuwait. A 200-strong air force team to airlift supplies to Iraq is already in the Gulf Arab state.

[V]

Comments

• crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So...whose side are they on? [?][:0]
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are there for the same reason they entered WWII...energy. Japan imports virtually 100% of their oil. They would be in deep trouble without it.
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And just WTH is THAT supposed to mean??? They are our ALLIES. They are are supporting the US' mission in Iraq, unlike some of our other friends (France, Germany, etc.)

I am a little concerned about how this will play out politically for PM Koizumi. There's a lot of anti-war, pacifist feeling among the general populace that is probably going absolutely ape over this. And it probably does violate their constitution.

quote:Originally posted by crims40
    So...whose side are they on? [?][:0]
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Say what you want about the Nipponese. Once they set a course they stick to it and would rather die than break their word. It's about time they started to spend some on military instead of just reaping the profits of our expenditures. I think this is a good thing.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    I agree with BDJ! We should welcome them there. It's time the Japanese take over their own defense. We have been protecting them, at American taxpayer expense, for almost 60 years.

Let them raise an army and protect their own backsides and participate in peace keeping mssions around the world. This is a good first step for them getting back on their (military) feet.

Japan is a very rich country. No doubt this is because they have not had to support a standing army since the were defeated by the USA!

We have been allies since the defeat, (although many American veterans still hold very hard feelings and I do not blame those who suffered at the hands of the Japanese) and there is no reason why the Japanese shouldn't share the load now.

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    Hey, if we're going to talk about former Axis nation, they're heads and tails over the Germans. At least they bothered to remain interested in the future of Iraq.

The Japanese are making an effort to help out, but apparently Germany has forgotten what happens when a war-ravaged country is abandoned without economic support or decent leadership...

army_slblu.jpgpv2.gifInsignia_in.jpgairborne%20wings-2.jpgtogcrest.gif
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Good point Bullzeye.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    BONZAIIIIII!!!!!!!

Allright! The people who INVENTED suicide bombing!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • BlueTicBlueTic Member Posts: 4,072
    edited November -1
    Way to go - We could use a few Samuri over there[:D][:D] Glad to see the support[:)] Course now we will hear a few words from Hairy[xx(]

IF YOU DON'T LIKE MY RIGHTS - GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY (this includes politicians)
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    These aren't the Japanese we faced in WW2... which is both good and bad.

Good because they're no longer a band of genocidal mass-raping midgets with a penchant for torture and murder.

Bad because the Japanese SDF can hardly handle a North Korean spy boat, much less an Iraqi insurgent.

But I'm not so sure I'm willing to forgive and forget just yet. A showboat deployment in Iraq doesn't make up for the thousands of Allied POWs they tortured and worked to death. It doesn't make up for Unit 731 dissecting American GIs alive and without anestethesia. It doesn't make up for the over 300,000 women they raped in Nanking, some of them as young as eight and some of them as repeatedly as a dozen times during the same "session." It doesn't make up for the thousands of Dutch civilians they beheaded when they took over Indonesia nor the thousands of Dutch wives and daughters they raped for "relaxation."

Germany has at least admitted guilt for its actions during WW2. Their opposition to our war in Iraq is their sovereign democratic right, because only a slave agrees unequivocally with everything their master does... and they're not our slave and we purport to be no one's master.
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every industrialized nation must have a stable source of energy to remain industrialized. If they can't depend on being able to buy it, they will raise an army and fight for it.

This is one of the problems with the energy situation today. The most unstable people on the planet (middleasterners) have control of over half the world's energy, with Iraq alone having over 20% of the world's proven oil reserves. If totally explored, Iraq may have $50% or more.

Don't care how you look at it, Iraq is strategically important to us as well as to a lot of other nations.

My humble opinion,
    Rafter-S
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Rafter-S,

Actually, the Iraq was stable until we went in. True, it was led by a despotic regime, but "stable" doesn't necessarily equal "good."

But sadly, you're not mistaken when you say if people need something, they'll fight for it. I like to think that we've evolved past that sort of monkeyish mentality, but GW Bush has put primate psychology into practice as American foreign policy and now others seem more than willing to follow his lead.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, dead ape, I agree that the Japs committed atrocities even worse than those of the Nazis absent the Holocaust death camps (not that those can be dismissed in any circumstances) . . . especially when one considers most of it was done by regular troops, not specialized murder formations. I further agree I have very little use for their failure to admit to those atrocities or apologize for them. Of all the Asian nations, I do try - not terribly successfully - to buy as little of their goods as I can for all these reasons, putting them ahead, even, of mainland China.

OTOH, I don't care if GWB has a "primate psychology!" However the Left may term his approach to foreign policy, it's several orders of magnitude better than the path espoused by the amber amphibians, their fellow travelers and that sorry pile of dog dung on the East River infested with incompetent, corrupt, internationalist, bureaucrats. Some people may be willing to take their lead from chirac and his ilk, not this camper.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, their constitution (pretty much written for them by MacArthur and friends) has prohibited anything more than economic help. Technically, they're probably violating their constitution (that WE wrote for them) by sending troops.
    Second, our bases in Japan are there because WE want them there. Contrary to popular belief, Japan pays the operating expenses for the bases to be there...which has sometimes been a bone of contention for some of them since their economy tanked about 10 years ago...especially in Okinawa whenever some GIs rape a 12 year old girl.

quote:Originally posted by njretcop
    I agree with BDJ! We should welcome them there. It's time the Japanese take over their own defense. We have been protecting them, at American taxpayer expense, for almost 60 years.

Let them raise an army and protect their own backsides and participate in peace keeping mssions around the world. This is a good first step for them getting back on their (military) feet.

Japan is a very rich country. No doubt this is because they have not had to support a standing army since the were defeated by the USA!

We have been allies since the defeat, (although many American veterans still hold very hard feelings and I do not blame those who suffered at the hands of the Japanese) and there is no reason why the Japanese shouldn't share the load now.

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"<br>NRA Certified Firearms Instructor<br>Member: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD.<br> <A HREF="mailto:njretcop@copmail.com">njretcop@copmail.com</A> <P>