In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Critique Springfield and Charles Daly please

mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Been looking for Mrs. Mudge's new gun on GB auction. Found:

Colt Defender Lightweight....we both like it. You know me. If it says Colt on it, I want it.

Kimber Ultra II..............we both like it. Have heard nothing but good stuff about these.

Springfield Compact........looks ok, but don't know anything about it's quality. Some here have had not very nice things to say about Springfield but I don't remember whether it was about quality or the company itself.

Charles Daly.................again...looks ok but don't know anything at all about them.

Help me...help me...

Mudge the educable
I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>

Comments

• Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I guess it depends a lot on your budget and what your going to be using the pistol for. In order of quality, I'd say: #1 Kimber, as far as the hardware goes, but the company has experienced many financial problems over the years - bankrupt and re-started a couple of times; #2 Springfield - a good solid weapon and company - I have one of their stainless Commander size 1911s, and my Son (Dave W) has their Compact V-10. I like SA products and they have a lifetime warranty; #3 Colt. Their new ones don't meet the standards of their old ones; #4 Charles Daly - this would be a great shooter for the price, but I don't think I'd want to rely on it for concealed carry - this pistol has a lot of bang for the buck.

All in all, I'd likely get another SA.

Hope this helps.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mudge I have a Springfield (TRP)Tactical Response Pistol.And a Loaded 1911A1 both are extremely accurate, 100% reliable and backed by a Full Life time Factory warranty.They also come with factory Novak sites,skeletonized Hammer,speed trigger and an extended beaver tail grip safety.I think the compact also comes with these features?Ive seen many happy owners of the Springfield,the only bad thing I can say is there is a long time Break in period.I learned after the first one and bloody hands to buy a pair of gloves to manually rack the slide back and forth.Of course Im sure I dont need to tell you to never let the slide slam on an empty chamber.The 100% Lifetime warranty is something to think about.

As for Charles Daily Handguns I would be afraid to say anything more than the ones Ive seen were appealing and felt good in the hand.They also have a much smaller price tag.

Good Luck!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    I only own the full sized Kimber Stainless target and don't have any shooting exp with the compacts but from what I've heard the compacts tend to be more finicky and have more problems. I was reading a post by Teddy Jacobson on Glocktalks 1911 forum and believe he recommended the compact Glock over a 1911 style. He is a master gunsmith and mainly works on 1911's so when I read that I believed he was telling the truth. If I had to pick one of the ones you listed I guess I'd take the Kimber or Colt and if it gave me any reliability problems Id either send it back to the factory with a detailed letter explaining the problem or take it to someone who knew what they were doing and have them make it reliable. If I could just pick any old thing available in a compact I'd have to say Glock would be my first choice.

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I knew I could count on youse mens.
    Thanks

Mudge the enlightened

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • gunrunner68gunrunner68 Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a kimber ultra elite and two kimber ultra cdps I also have springfield full size 45s The springfield needed much breakin the three kimbers have not missed a beat, The only problem was with the elite The front nite site went out...sent it back to kimber had a new one in two weeks
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In order of preference:
    1. Kimber
    2. Springfield
    3. Colt

I think I'd pass on the Charles Daly.