In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Swarzenegger wants to be President now

Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040222/D80SGGIG0.html

How many are going to vote for Arnie in a few years?

kabalogoshadowed.gif

Comments

• trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He wont ever make it to the White House.
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Can't!
    Would be better than some that are running right now! [;)]
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    He can't ever be president. To be president you have to be born in the USA. Arnold was born in Austria, which disqalifies him.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    I thought you had to be born in this U.S. to be president.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    D@D you'r right, But as ODT said-
    Would be better than some that are running right now!

gun.gif
    Those who live by the
    sword get shot by those who don't.

[img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    constitution was designed by some smart people..rules are in place for a reason...not to change everytime political correctness rears its self serving whining head...swartzy will probably be drowned by calif......
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    Been in this country for 20 years and you can barely understand what he is saying. And he whats to president come on.
  • gunrunner1911gunrunner1911 Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    While the San Fran Mayor is violating CA law Arnie goes MIA and won't rear his big head! PC cat got his tongue? Not the guy I would want in the White House or apparently for GOV. I guess our Constitution will save us again.
  • Supreme OneSupreme One Member Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello, just watch Demolition Man.

Michael

Paranoid keeps you alive, worry just gives you stomach problems.
    - .- -.- . / -- -.-- / .- -.. ...- .. ... . --..-- / .. .----. -- / -. --- - / ..- ... .. -. --. / .. - / .- -. -.-- .-- .- -.-- .-.-.-
    Politics- From the words poly, meaning many, and tics, which are just little blood suckers.
    .-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / .- / ... . -..- ..- .- .-.. .-.. -.-- / - .-. .- -. ... -- .. - - . -.. / -.. .. ... . .- ... . .-.-.-
    If "con" is the opposite of "pro," then what is the opposite of progress?
    sound
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tim Russert joshed him about it this morning: there is a joking reference in DEMOLITION MAN to Arnold having been Presidentwhile Sly was on ice, a result of "the 61st Amendment." I doubt there will be a constitutional amendment just so Arnold can run...

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Sen. Orrin Hatch has already proposed an amendment to allow immigrants to run for president.
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The day immigrants are allowed to become president is the day that America and it's American culture will cease to exist. Good or bad every president must be born and bred an American not born and bred an Austrian seeking the White House.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
    edited November -1
    Although I think the writers of the Constitution would have a screaming fit about some of the things that's been done to the constitution, overall, we've done pretty good.

Their reasoning in the way they wrote the constitution has served us well. We're all able to post here because of the 1st Amendment. We're the most citizen owning population of guns, legally, in the world, because of the 2nd.

The original makers of the constitution probably had the born in the usa put in to keep someone loyal to the British throne from fooling enough people to become president, then betray the nation to England. I don't know that as a fact, it's just my opinion. Whatever the reason, it's served us well for over 200 years.

Another thing they did was to install the electoral college in presidential elections. Some people think that should be changed too, but it should stay as it is. Oops, that should be another topic.

Those men, over 200 years ago, probably did not have the foresight to really know what they were writing. Whether they did or not, our country has thrived under it, and it's still the best governing document ever written in the history of the world.

-- Gen. James Longstreet
  • Jody CommanderJody Commander Member Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have already had several presidents that were not born in the U.S.
    edited November -1
    Ok, Jody, I'll bite. Tell us who they are.

-- Gen. James Longstreet
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    R_J, technically only, Washington, Adams, Jefferson and all the others born before the colonies became the United States of America. I agree with your points about the Constitution, BTW.

Hatch is losing it. That Amendment will not and should not see a committee meeting, much less anything further.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
    edited November -1
    Iconoclast, do you mean born on American soil, while still under British rule? Or actually born in another country and coming here later?

-- Gen. James Longstreet
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Arnold is already bending over for the democrats! He promised budget cuts and he still lets the Democrats spend. His great idea is to borrow another bazillion dollars so we can pass the debt on to our children and grandchildren. We don't need him as president!
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as a a constitutional amendment passes, I'm all for it. Some of the most patriotic Americans I know were not born here. Many had to work *damn* hard to come here, and/or suffered severe persecution in their country of birth. A lot of these guys know far better how great it is to be an American and do not take the rights and privileges we enjoy for granted, unlike many of us who were born here do.

Any foreign born presidential candidate would still have to withstand the scrutiny of the U.S. media and especially, the American public. Particularly coupled with a 20-year residency requirement, I don't see a problem.
    edited November -1
    Amerika! Lets see trusting a foreign born president is like trusting a stranger to manage my families personal asset and look out for our best interest. Sure there are and will be great and genuine people out there and maybe that is good for other countries around the world but why be so quick to give away what is so dear to the spirit of our culture?

Perhaps after 20 years of being in this country a member of a terrorist sleeper cell should run for president. Hey, that's a much simpler way of getting your hands on nuclear weapons.

edited November -1
    Since when did being distrusting of our own citizens get be the spirit of our culture? I thought we got rid of that when America closed its concentration camps back in the 1940's.
    Besides, as someone pointed out, we have had non-U.S. citizen presidents.

quote:Originally posted by gunpaq
    Amerika! Lets see trusting a foreign born president is like trusting a stranger to manage my families personal asset and look out for our best interest. Sure there are and will be great and genuine people out there and maybe that is good for other countries around the world but why be so quick to give away what is so dear to the spirit of our culture?

Perhaps after 20 years of being in this country a member of a terrorist sleeper cell should run for president. Hey, that's a much simpler way of getting your hands on nuclear weapons.

edited November -1
    I don't know how long you've been in this country, but I can barely understand what you're typing.

quote:Originally posted by D@D
    Been in this country for 20 years and you can barely understand what he is saying. And he whats to president come on.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Californinians might have him but America .. not a chance
    edited November -1
    America first, not with a foreign cultural/political root.

How many references has the Kalifornia governor made to how things are done in Austria and how he can apply it here? Maybe good ideas and maybe they can work and maybe he is a good guy but maybe the next guy will be a sleeper with a hidden agenda.[:0]

edited November -1
    Your comments don't make sense. If someone becomes an AMERICAN citizen, why can't he/she put AMERICA first??? For a nifty example of some naturalized and some (admittedly mostly) second generation Americans who put America first, look up "100th battalion" and "442nd Regimental Combat Team".

The sleeper comment is so paranoid its hard to believe. Here's an interesting note on how the paranoia stacks up to fact. We've always been pretty paranoid of foreign-born sleeper agents infiltrating the U.S. an spying on us...of all the spies we've caught in recent history, how many have been? Aldrich Ames? Nope. Robert Hanssen? Nope. The Rosenbergs? Nope, born in New York. Alger Hiss? Nope, born in Baltimore. Christopher Boyce, of "Falcon and the Snowman" fame? Nope. John A. Walker Jr. Not him either. Jonathan Pollard. US born and bred.

During world war II, how many sabotage incidents were caused by naturalized U.S. citizens of German, Italian, or Japanese descent?

America first, not with a foreign cultural/political root.

How many references has the Kalifornia governor made to how things are done in Austria and how he can apply it here? Maybe good ideas and maybe they can work and maybe he is a good guy but maybe the next guy will be a sleeper with a hidden agenda.[:0]

• FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The day immigrants are allowed to become president is the day that America and it's American culture will cease to exist. Good or bad every president must be born and bred an American not born and bred an Austrian seeking the White House.

[:(!][:(!][:(!]Since when does being born in the US make you or anyone else better or more "American" than an immigrant. Many of the best Americans I know are immigrants and I'd rather they be president than the bozo liberals or even Pres Bush.[:(!][:(!]

Do I want Arnold as president - hell no.. way too liberal for me. But to say that immigrants aren't "American" enough is a supreme statement of ignorance.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
    edited November -1
    Why is everyone so quick to sell the country down the road?

edited November -1
    Why do you see another fellow American becoming president as selling the country down the road?

Why is everyone so quick to sell the country down the road?

edited November -1
    Never said immigrants are not American enough!

Never said immigrants were not patriotic enough!

Never said a fellow American becoming president would be selling the country down the road!

The native born rule was put there for a reason but if the American
    people feel it is wrong or obsolete and
    that non-native born citizens should be president then the rule will be changed.[:)] The great experiment can only last so long.

• FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The reason the rule was placed was to avoid foreigners coming over with outside ties and coming into power with interests other than purely American. It was common at that time for foreigners to take control of other countries (European kings, queens, dukes, etc would marry and become leaders of other countries). It is thus understandable and proper to have that law at that time.

It is another time now however and I don't see an immigrant who is not 100% "American" being elected. Even Arnold, who has been here over 20 years and considers himself an american rather than an austrian, has trouble convincing us that he is fit to lead the nation.

Gunpaq, I didn't mean to come off abrasively. I was personally offended being an immigrant who is proud of my heritage but yet being 100% American.

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
    edited November -1
    No offense meant just a topic of discussion. My future wife is an immigrant.[:)]

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    No way. CA governor was a surprise, but president???? Naw

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Anyone remember an old Soviet Leader awhile back saying they would destroy America without firing a shot?

They are just about there.

kabalogoshadowed.gif
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    I say "Give him a chance to put the right people in place to turn around the finances of CA".

Where we go, so go you.

But the White House? Maybe when NATO becomes World Government Central Command.
    edited November -1
    What's wrong with a fellow American running for President?

quote:Originally posted by Red223
    Anyone remember an old Soviet Leader awhile back saying they would destroy America without firing a shot?

They are just about there.

kabalogoshadowed.gif
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's also unconstitutional for the President and Vice-President to be from the same state. Yet, we have 2 Texans doing it right now.

"Go to Lakedaemon, stranger passing by;
    And say there, that in obedience to her law, here we lie"
    edited November -1
    Does that make the Bush administration legal? This will be an agrument in the upcoming election. War hero vs the AWOL selected president.

• offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So if we have an amendment permitting foreigners to run, will we eventually decide they don't need a green card after all? [:D] I think NOT.

I have no doubt that Arnold would love to be Pres. But it's not him I'm worried about; I know Democrats I like less. It's the other guys that such an amendment would let in the door.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

edited November -1
    What's wrong with a fellow American running for President???

quote:Originally posted by offeror
    So if we have an amendment permitting foreigners to run, will we eventually decide they don't need a green card after all? [:D] I think NOT.

I have no doubt that Arnold would love to be Pres. But it's not him I'm worried about; I know Democrats I like less. It's the other guys that such an amendment would let in the door.

• dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    Just what we need . More Kennedy influence in the white house. Consider this. Many spies are groomed their whole lives for ony one job.