In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Nader's Going to Run....

offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Uh oh, and Yeehah! Nader's saying he's going to run. Well, it's a horse race now.... Russert says "this decision is going to upset a LOT of people!"

Nader says this is not a two-party country and it is reprehensible for the Democrats to discourage him from running for selfish reasons. Nader also claims that we are in a "quagmire" in Iraq (I don't think that's true). Nader believes Bush should be impeached for prevaricating on matters of national security (something else I think is based on exaggeration).

So while Nader will add to the national debate by the sharp way he describes things, he himself is probably too radical to make much of a dent -- except that he WILL draw critical votes away from the Democrat. In 2000, he drew about 9% of the Florida vote, for example (about 22,000 to the major candidates' 250,000 apiece). Of course, he points out other independents got thousands of votes in 2000 too, so he's not solely to blame for anything, but he was still one of the top three, even at 1/10 of the number of votes received by the top two.

Nader: "Democrats are caving in to the corporations....I support equal rights for same-sex couples -- that can occur at the state level or {maybe federal} -- the main tragedy that undermines marriage is divorce..."

Nader says that those who call him an egotistical spoiler in this election are "well-meaning hostages to an antiquated electoral-college winner-take-all system."

Bush just got a boost despite the fact Nader will spend time criticizing him, because he criticizes sell-out Dems too, and regardless of what he espouses, Nader always tends to cut into Democrat, not Republican, votes on election day.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif

Comments

• BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I think Russert is right.

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He has been running for 30 years.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    dcon-- That's true, and I'm positive he knows he can't come anywhere near a win. He's running to get the public platform to criticize the status quo. He's still the guy with the hippie mentality that exposed the Corvair as a safety hazard. But I'm sure you know the fact that he has no chance of winning isn't the point here. The point is that he always takes some votes from the Dems (and a smaller number from the Republicans), and the Dems can't afford to lose any when they're foaming at the mouth to beat George W. this time in what could be another close race. Nader's nipping at their heels could actually make the difference.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

• salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldnt go counting Republican electoral votes before they hatch. The popular vote does not matter. I think this election will be very close to the 2000 election. It is all going to come down to FLorida. One has to assume that Nader is not going to get as many votes in Florida as he did in 2000(80,000) votes. Many of those who voted for Nader in 2000, will not vote for him because now that they have experienced four years of Bush, they will place party over policy and pull that lever for the Democrat. I think everything is in the Democrats favor this time around in Florida. Lets say, being that we really do not know how many votes Bush won by(if he won at all)that Dems have to get 10,000 more votes this time around. I think it is reasonable to assume at least 20,000 of those Nader votes will vote Democrat this time. Add that to all those who voted for Buchanan in 2000 who meant to vote for Gore, and the Nader factor will be irrelevant.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although somewhat radical compared to today's "PC" type of BS, I think he is making some valid points about the present state of affairs.

I was thinking how nice it would be for the "people to run the Government" instead of the the other way around like it is....... Seems Nader thinks so too. Wonder where this will all lead to????

But "Sheeple" are prone to be "sheeple" and therefore, they will "jump off the cliff" if their leaders do it....... We have spent too much time "following" and it is now time to participate and voice your opinion and to get out and Vote.......no matter what your pursuasion!

There must be a way to send the proper messages to our Government leaders voicing our needs.......NOT their wants!!!! What is it???

I Miss The World I Grew Up In!
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    salz -- I don't think Nader will get nearly as many votes this time either; he's not even running for the Green party this time. But Bush and Gore were so close that 500 votes could make the difference.

quote:The popular vote does not matter. I

Uh huh. Tell that to Gore and the Democrats. [:D] Gore was ALL upset about it in 2000. Of course, you are right about this.

The Dems are very nervous today, and they claim Nader may NOT be irrelevant. I assume they know whereof they speak. I don't think Nader is much of a factor, but it may not take much this time around. They would be better off without his candidacy. And as a Bush supporter, I can enjoy that sub-plot... Particularly since the Dems could use a little reality check given their cynical willingness to play politics with things like the post-9/11 expenditures for homeland security and the bad intelligence re Iraq (even Saddam thought he had WMDs and tossed inspectors out to protect them -- now THAT's bad! Is it any wonder the intelligence came down on the side of Iraq's having them?). So now the Dems get Nader. Poetic...

• chappsynychappsyny Member Posts: 3,381 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... I was hoping that he'd run. [:D] Too bad he didn't run for the democrat nomination because he'd have fit right in with the other mental patients currently seeking that spot on the ticket.

Now that Dean is out of the race, the country will need someone new to laugh at.

New Hampshire, USA - "Live Free or Die!!!"
  • ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Russert said he had rec'd thousands of e-mails this past week regarding Ralphie Boy. Dems are still scared spitless of what Nader can do. Just listening to him run down his list of "will-do's" as President - immediate military withdrawl from Iraq, repeal of the tax cuts, public works projects for the unemployed, alternative energy sources - the whole liberal litany, I was reminded of the old Pac-Man electronic game. I could see Ralphie gobbling up Democrat votes with every item he ticked off his agenda.

I agree with those who believe this race will be closer than many suspect, Bush's financial war chest notwithstanding. I don't know what in the hel* he's waiting for, though.
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Well Salzo, if it comes down to Florida again my boy is a cinch right? Last time I checked Ol' Jeb was still governer.[:D]

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now all you have to do is get this message out to the Libertarians.
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    I think Nader's in for a rude surprise if he thinks anyone's going to welcome his return to the presidential race. Even people who voted for him in 2000 have started organizations and websites like "RalphDontRun.com." He's expecting a homecoming parade and what he's going to get is the cold shoulder.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by interstatepawnllc
    Well Salzo, if it comes down to Florida again my boy is a cinch right? Last time I checked Ol' Jeb was still governer.[:D]

I think I am missing the point you are trying to make. Care to elaborate?

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I doubt he will have the impact this time he did in 2000, but every vote matters and - potentially - a few votes for Ralph could swing a state. Florida's vote was the big deal four years ago . . . but how many of you remember the Senate election in NH in the late 1970s which came down to three votes? This is the one where the parties wrangled about it in DC for months and couldn't agree on the intent of voters on a very few ballots - erasures, lines instead of "X" marks, etc. Then they gave up, sent it back and we had to conduct a special election. Ralph's candidacy won't provide as much fun as it would have been to watch Howard the Duck Dean drag down a whole bunch of DemoWipes, but it still will be worth a few chuckles, especially on Letterman.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    I desperately want to be able to support a 3rd party candidate...

But the more I read of Nader's platform, the more I realize that he's a nutjob.

I think I stopped reading when he talked about how he would completely reverse "a criminal "justice" system that grossly discriminates against poor people of color," and "put the Billionaire Burglars behind bars where they belong instead."

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate for an outright ban, picking up all of them, "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in," I would have." -Sen. Dianne Feinstein

feinstein2.bmp
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bullz, let the folks who won't vote for Bush just to "teach him a lesson" vote for Nader. they feel good about themselves for voting for him thinking the entire time they are hurting Bush when infact they will help him win[:D]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope he gets matching funds! [:D]