In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W Chairman resigns...was bank robber in 50s-60s

jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Believe it or not. It was in today's Wall Street Journal.

Comments

• TxsTxs Member Posts: 17,809 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    S&W Chief Quits-Convicted Years Ago In Armed Robberies

New York - 2/27/2004
    CNN.COM
    James Joseph Minder, chairman of handgun maker Smith & Wesson Holding Corp., resigned after a published report revealed he'd spent as much as 15 years in prison decades ago for armed robberies and a bank heist.

The Republican, a daily newspaper in Springfield, Mass., reported Thursday that Minder confirmed his resignation without realizing that the company had not made an official announcement.

Smith & Wesson, the nation's second-largest gun manufacturer after Sturm, Ruger (RGR: Research, Estimates), told CNN/Money that it plans to release a statement later Friday but did not wish to comment on the newspaper report or confirm Minder's resignation at this time.

Minder's convictions were unknown to Smith & Wesson until the Arizona Republic newspaper chronicled Minder's criminal past earlier this month. Smith & Wesson is based in Scottsdale, Ariz.

The Republic article reported that Minder maintains he had never tried to cover up his past, and that the reason he failed to disclose his criminal past to Smith & Wesson earlier was because nobody had asked the question.

Minder, 74, had spent time in prison in the 1950s and 1960s for a string of armed robberies and an attempted prison escape, according to the Republic. During that time, the Detroit News said he was known for carrying a 16-gauge, sawed-off shotgun.

Minder was sentenced to 3-1/2 to 10 years in state prison for robbing a store while attending University of Michigan as a journalism student, he told the Republic.

Minder also told the paper that he turned his life around after finishing his prison sentence in 1969. He said he has spent his professional career trying to help kids after receiving a bachelor of science degree in mechanical engineering, a bachelor of arts in sociology and a master of arts in social work, all earned from the University of Michigan.

Minder, who served on Smith & Wesson's board since 2001, had run a successful non-profit agency serving delinquent and disabled Michigan youths for 20 years before retiring to Scottsdale in 1997, the Republic said.

Shortly before the Republic article was published, Smith & Wesson had named Minder as chairman, taking over the position from Roy Cuny, who remains on the board and continues to work as CEO and president of the company.

Cuny had been named to the top three posts in December, after Mitchell Saltz resigned as chairman and CEO. Also in December, Colt Melby stepped down as president amid a Securities and Exchange Commission investigation into the late filing of earnings statements.
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    My take? The guy paid his debt!

Fifty years ago, how long does your past effect the present.
    Seems to me, the guys been doing good things.

Flame away...
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Did they say what guns he used to rob those banks? If he used S&W's, he could have said, "I liked the product so much, I bought the company!"[:D]
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    That's what I like! A corporate leader with true hands on experience!

quote:My take? The guy paid his debt!

Absolutely. He did his time and turned his life around. Thought that was what was supposed to happen...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You said it all! Leave the guy alone.

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Leave the guy alone?

H e ll.. he's a CONVICTED FELON who robbed a bank while armed..... perhaps you'd all like to have your daughter or wife to be in that same bank when he robbed it?

Again, from my previous quote and posting... are you kidding me?

Since your all sooooooooooo forgiving, how bout I go out and RAPE a few kids, now, and ten years from now, I ask for forgiveness? Why not "LEAVE ME ALONE" if I become a CEO of a gun company as well?? But, I suppose that's different [}:)]

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me." -Isaiah 6:8
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    The guy did no physical harm to anyone 50 years ago while robbing a place of business. That hardly compares to "raping a few kids" ten years ago.

Night stalker, you're a fool.

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
    edited November -1
    You're right Lowrider. So, in other words, your saying you don't mind if I come into your house uninvited, stick a gun in your face, or your kid's face, so long as I do not fire the weapon. Thanks, I appreciate you clearing that one up for me.

NSDQ!

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me." -Isaiah 6:8
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    quote: "I liked the product so much, I bought the company!"[:D]
    [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I personally invite you to come to my house and stick a gun in my face. That is, if mom will let you stay out that late.[xx(]

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To Night Stalker, et al: Sure, what he did was wrong. But it's in human nature to forgive. Especially if you think yourself a Christian. He was wrong he jeopardized lives, etc. But it was decades ago and he did his jail time. He came out, and has been a model citizen ever since, and even ran a foundation for the past couple decades to help out poor and delinquent kids avoid making the same mistakes he made. After all that, yeah, I'd forgive him.
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    We have a murder who Is a U.S. Senator for Christ's sakes, but that is ok!!! Drive your car off a bridge with a fatlady in it and leave her to drown see how far you get!!!

Some of you people need to get your head out of your *!!![^]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    hey...at least he got a job in a field where he had experience!

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would invite him also But I know he won't beable to be out that late!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!
  • jpwolfjpwolf Member Posts: 9,164
    edited November -1
    This is wrong, he payed his debt, he did not get away scott free (like apolitician or millionaire would) he showed remorse by changing his lifestyle (very hard to do) And fifty years later gets slapped in the face for becoming "one of us". He should go back to robbing banks and give society the "one finger wave" like they did him.

"If there must be trouble let it be in my day, that my child may have peace" -Thomas Paine

If the people have become so apathetic that they will not vote out all the liberal scum (republican and democrat alike), the only solution is Constitutional Convention II the sequel. Let's get it right this time.
    edited November -1
    Stalker,
    not sure what it is about this that hit ya so hard? Your posts have always seemed so open minded and of course can't leave out patriotic.
    I see it as "the law", not a moral issue after 50-years or so.

He did wrong no doubt, but it was for money not lust like a rapist or pervert. In that sence I see no comparison. A sex offence would have me keeping my eye on the guy for years to come, and no limit when it comes to "wondering" if it was possible for him to be reformed or again commit another offence.

This guy either needed money, or was too lazy to earn it (at the time he committed the offence). Years later he obviously earned money, worked hard for an education and progressed in business. All after complying with the legal requirements to "pay his debt".

I expected a few radical statements here that would be against the guy, just didn't think you would be on that list I guess. Especially after all the good things he's done afterward, and untold lives he's helped.

CEO, or janitor makes no difference to me. He worked for what he got, after he made mistakes.

Stealing at gunpoint is not a minor deal, but I don't compare it to rape or perversion.

As always, I guess a lot of us are just wired different. We see things from different angles. I'm just confused that you seem to take it so hard and don't accept his punishment fit the crime. Should someone like this be bannished from society? If so, our population would be much smaller.
  • chorkiechorkie Member Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He did his time and paid his debts. He made a better person of himself and did not return to his bad ways. Have any of you tried to change so drastically? It's not an easy thing to do. Let the man be.

???
  • elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a question night stalker. Say you are young and you do something wrong. Should you pay for the crime the rest of your life? Now I know we are talking about a bank robber. But it was a non violant crime. This guy cannot vote,own a gun and by the way no law says he can't sell them.How long does he pay? Look at what he has done since he got out and tell me he is not a changed man.

col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    I am a man but I can change if I have to,I guess.
    Tolono.gif
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The appearance of impropriety is just as important as the truth. According to some, "he paid his debt". It depends on how you view the purpose of incarceration. I don't think it has anything to do with reform (since it RARELY reforms) or "turning things around".

Here's how I view incarceration. Society has a right to be free from the presence of dirtbags for a certain period of time after they are convicted of their crimes. Society gets a break from their crap for a few years. They're still going to get out and re-offend regardless of how many touchy feely government programs you put into the prison system.

All we need is an opportunity for people like Feinswine, Klintoon, and Schum-bag to say that the gun industry hires ex-con's to run the show. The truth is not what wins the game at the end of the day. What APPEARS to be the truth is what makes it or breaks it in the realm of public opinion.
  • QBQB Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that the guy paid his debt to society a LONG time ago and his mistakes as a youth should not be held against him. But isn't it illegal for a convicted felon to be in possession of a firearm? How about a whole firearm company? It seems that he could not be Chairman of S&W and never be in possession of a gun. Have I got the facts twisted? I know you will all be eager to educate me.

QB

Don't sweat the small stuff --- and it's ALL small stuff.
    edited November -1
    It is not for me to judge this man. Since he was tried and convicted, and served his time, I agree he has paid his debt to society. He is a free man and owes no one. What I take issue with is that folks sometimes need to realize that what they do today affects their future. So, if you robbed a bank yesterday, served your time today, tomorrow, when you interview for a job in the public eye, you ought to let the perspective employee know the deal; you made several a mistake, paid your debt, and are now seeking gainful employment. I am tired of folks always ommitting critical information, which does bear on the facts at hand. Do you think he would have been hired as the CEO of S&W if he had let them know of this minor transgression?

Outdoortexas, I apologize for the rape anaology, it was not a particularly good comparison, but the fear the victims in the banks felt must surely have been real none the less. Not sure why I got fired up about this particular subject, but something in the article just rubbed me the wrong way. Thanks for the compass check.

Lowrider, just send me your address, I can come over any night, and stay as late as needed, I already have permission from your mother. Not sure why you felt the need to call me a fool for posting my opinion, but I guess that is a bit of the norm on this board here as of late [:(].

Crosshair: [?]

NSDQ!

edited November -1
    don't knock his parents

two of the COOLEST dudes you could ever meet
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Yes, the man paid for his crime. But, he should have had the integrity and vision to see what impact the disclosure of his past crimes would have on his assuming the chairmanship of S&W. It is admirable and looks great to have an ex-con reform and do good deeds, especially with youths, but, considering the anti-gun climate in this country, he should have disclosed his past history.
    edited November -1
    No doubt, I too should have stated that he was wrong in not fessing up. At the same time, to be honest, were I in his shoes I might have done the same thing. Don't really know from where I sit.

I really needed to make the statement that so few criminals really change their lives, that seeing the good things he's done to help others sorta made me think better of him.

Ids makes good points, this doesn't look good for the anti's! Same deal on the "reform", few do so. But that's where he did do better than most, he actually changed his life/future. And in doing so has helped others. jpwolf makes the same type of statement,the guy is now being punished for doing what society wants people to do,reform.

To put this in perspective...I seldom feel warm and fuzzy for criminals. In the case of perverts and rapists, hang 'em high. There is a difference to me though in the type of crime, although I don't think the white collar dudes get enough punishment! Had he taken someones life during a robbery, and he obviously could have had circumstances been different...he didn't.

Stalker, no offence to you at all. Really I guess everyone here is right...to a degree. [;)]
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idsman75
    don't knock his parents

two of the COOLEST dudes you could ever meet

[:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
    15602catowned.jpg
    edited November -1
    Gentlemen. Either the gun industry is just like any other manufacturing industry or else the gun industry is some holy warrior in the battle for the 2nd Ammendment. We raked S&W over the coals for not being some kind of holy bastion against Clinton's goons(who we ALLOWED to be friggin' elected). Now we want them to be "just another manufacturing company". We can't have it both ways folks. We have to allow them to either be like any other business and allow them to make business decisions regardless of what is good for the 2nd Ammendment (and, hence, keep this ex-con on the payroll) or we have to treat them like some kind of holy warrior in the good fight. That would entail holding their chairmen and directors to a higher standard the same way we do (or SHOULD do) with elected public officials.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    He was working for a gun lock company that acquired S&W in 2001. It's not his fault his company decided to buy a firearms manufacturer, but since he was director of SAF-T-HAMMER, it might be assumed he had a hand in the decision to make the acquisition.

I agree with the "higher standard" thing; the guy is 74 years old; he did the "honorable" thing by publicly resigning as chairman. He may still be on the Board, according to insiders. If he is instrumental in it's turnaround, a hasty departure would not be in the company's best interest.

The crime happened FIFTY years ago. Was the "no ex-con" law even in effect at that time?
  • JEPJEP Member Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He paid for his crime. GOOD GRIEF!

Edward Payne
    edited November -1
    He paid for his crime? That notion is based on the belief that one can actually GIVE BACK what they have taken from society. Sorry bud. My mother has worked in the banking industry since before I was born. She's worked in the rougher parts of the Twin Cities for the last 20 years or so. She's seen a few robberies in her time.

YOU CAN'T "PAY" FOR A CRIME LIKE THAT! Imagine that you have a 19-year-old daughter who is working as a teller so that she can pay for night classes at the local community college. She goes to work one day and has a gun stuffed in her face and is told to hand over all the money. Sorry. I've seen a few young women and the mental/emotional aftermath of a bank robbery. All you can do is sit behind bars and let society have a break from the stench of your presence for a few years. You've demonstrated your willingness, ability and propensity to commit a crime that goes beyond something petty like shoplifting or graffiti.
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your attitude creates a problem without a solution regarding a large number of ex-cons. As I understand it, you would deem any ex-con who did such a thing (armed robbery) as not capable of rehabilitation. IIRC, your view of prison/incarceration system doesn't include rehabilitation. Would your rather have all of these people executed instead? And when these people finish their sentences, what would you have them do? If they're to always be treated as dirt and given no chance to better themselves (as it seems you would have them be), what incentive do they have to NOT return to a life of crime?

quote:Originally posted by idsman75
    He paid for his crime? That notion is based on the belief that one can actually GIVE BACK what they have taken from society. Sorry bud. My mother has worked in the banking industry since before I was born. She's worked in the rougher parts of the Twin Cities for the last 20 years or so. She's seen a few robberies in her time.

YOU CAN'T "PAY" FOR A CRIME LIKE THAT! Imagine that you have a 19-year-old daughter who is working as a teller so that she can pay for night classes at the local community college. She goes to work one day and has a gun stuffed in her face and is told to hand over all the money. Sorry. I've seen a few young women and the mental/emotional aftermath of a bank robbery. All you can do is sit behind bars and let society have a break from the stench of your presence for a few years. You've demonstrated your willingness, ability and propensity to commit a crime that goes beyond something petty like shoplifting or graffiti.