In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Crow Problem??

crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Any suggestions on how to get a flock of crows to move on out of the neighbor hood ( flock of hundreds of the b
s. I live within the city limits so I cannot fix the problem like I would like to. Ha Ha! They hang out in the tree tops about 100 yards from my home and they will wake you up in the morning carrying on. There is no dead animals around so that insn't attracting them. They will be gone for maybe one two or three days and they are back and even wake us up in the early night with the noise. Even though I live in the city limits I have thought of using my solution but there are houses not to far away past the trees and I cannot take that chance! Any suggestions?

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

I'm Just One Man Talking!

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No problem.

Feb24003.jpg

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would love to use more than that but I live in the city limits I would even do it though in the limits because I know alot of the officers but there are houses on the opposite side where I could do that!

• deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Crosshair, I Think you may get away with a good pellet rifle
    they are not too noisy and will do the job on those critters.

use_deer.jpg96EB.jpg
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Crosshair, Go just outside the city limits and find a landowner who'll give you permission to shoot crows! Arrive before daylight, set you out about 6-12 decoys and an owl decoy on a fence post or in a tree. Turn on your Lohman tape of a "crow and owl fight" and be ready to have a literal BLAST!!!! Always good to have a mouth call too just to add another voice to the mix! Absolutely try to make sure and kill the first crow that comes!!! Take a little piece of wire and wire the dead crow up to look like the owl has him caught! You may not have time to do this!!! If not, have at it!! Shoot like the dickens for awhile! They'll come back in 1's or 2's or 3's after the initial attack! And you should get an hour or so of shooting out of the set-up! MORE FUN THAN EATIN BEANS!!!! Shoot one and six more come to the funeral!! Take pics!!!! If you do this 2-3 times in that set-up spot they'll move on! The ones that's left anyway!! Don't use the low powered dove loads!!! Use good shells! I load my own expressly for this purpose!!! 1.5 oz of #5 or #6! Full choke and reach out and touch them!! Funny as the dickens to watch one coming straight in and hit him with that load he goes BACKWARDS in the air!!! Have fun!!! GHD
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds better than christmas!

• headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    we have a flock of a couple of thousand that live on my campus. they roost in different places every night. If you park your car under um its covered by morning, and when ya walk to class in the am its smells like a chicken farm. When i get home from practice there flying around my dorm tormenting me . what i wouldnt do for an hour of shooting

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    22-250 Rem. 40x for hire! 20 rounds,= 20 crows and one huge pile of feathers [}:)] When can I start [:D] No charge-[:D][:D][:D]

gun.gif
    Those who live by the
    sword get shot by those who don't.

[img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    i had this problem at my grandpas farm.the thing is if you kill 1 or wound 1 more and more will come the best thing to do is get that owl decoy ghd was talking about.

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    sealriverth.jpgdk_marinereconth.jpg
    SEMPER FI
  • charlie15charlie15 Member Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I GOT IT!! Call the AIR FORCE and see if they will do an air strike on 'em. WELL!! It's a suggestion.[8)][^][:0][:p][}:)][;)][:)][:D]

"Well i'll be a suck egg mule"...Arthur Hunnicutt.
  • deceedecee Member Posts: 456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cci .22 CB's ought to do the trick.
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a small woodrat problem. So my dad pulled out the old air rifle during the summer and it was christmas all over again. I killed 4-5 easily maybe even wounded more. Definetly go with a bb gun or c02 powered. Plus it will give ya some target practice! [8D]
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a similar problem every year. I went to the farm supply and bought a few rubber snakes and put one in each tree. They have GHDs fake owls there too. Since I did this, I havent had a problem with birds. The only catch is that every once in a while, you need to move the snakes to a different location so the birds don't figure it out.......Crows. I hate crows...[:D][}:)]
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    crims40, The farmers hate them(I'm a farmer too) but I love them about 6:40AM committing kamikaze runs on the decoys and the owl! They are also quite challenging at 3-400 yards with the varmint rifles! Every now and then you'll get a really stupid gathering! I shot one at 218 yards with the 222MAG(there were 3 there). He expired directly and the others flew off. They returned almost immediately and another expired at 219! The last one flew but returned to see what was keeping his pals and he expired at 221 yards! (I measured all dead bodies with the range finder after the fact)! Only time I've ever had that scenario with crows! GHD
  • kitfookitfoo Member Posts: 290 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charlie15
    I GOT IT!! Call the AIR FORCE and see if they will do an air strike on 'em. WELL!! It's a suggestion

Sorry, we don't do house calls. [;)]
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Got a 220 Swift that works real well on them nasty things. If you can't shoot them how about poison? Soak some corn in antifreeze. Be careful with that so something you don't want to expire gets into it.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had the same problem in town a while back. A roost was in a tree next to the house. I used some old Eley and HS CB caps in a scoped 10-22and got at least a dozen. One had to pick his time of day because of neighbors and take not more than one or two at a time. It's safer firing downward from inside the second floor when they were on the ground.
    When they have a funeral it's quite a ruckus.
    I popped one in the High School front lawn with this outfit at over 100 paces. He'd raise a wing every time he was hit but it wouldn't kill him. A kid came by later and scooped him up in a box.
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    GHD....I like your kind of Crow control better then the snakes...[:D][:D][^][^]
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For god's sake, don't just blast 'em!!! Make sure it's legal to do so and that you have any permits you might need to shoot them!
    I recall reading about a guy who just went out and shot at a few crows, then ran into some legal trouble. IIRC, he's looking at a couple criminal charges and confiscation of a shotgun. I think there were some state laws and even a federal law issue involved (IIRC, Migratory Bird Act or something...can't really remember.)

Check this out before you do anything rash.