In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What's wrong with the Kimber II's?

JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
edited November 2004 in General Discussion
As I've said before I really want a Kimber supermatch II. I've heard a lot of people complaining about Kimber's "2" series but no explainations. What's wrong with them?

Comments

• Options
    cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As I said in my post in the other thread you posted I have no issues with mine...but a lot folks have or claim to have issues with the series II. You'll find a lot more Kimber specific info on 1911forum.com then go to the Kimber section. Essentially the series II type guns have an additional safety that according to some has the potential to or does cause failure...and makes getting a good trigger difficult. Another issue altogether is the external extractors on the new series II's which many hate just because it don't look as pretty, others claim real issues.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My biggest problem is that the Kimber II not only has these modifications, but these changes were made so they could sell their products in markets like California where there aren't even enough gun owners to prevent their communist laws or get them overturned ... then these "modifications" are then forced on the rest of the buying public in the rest of the country ...

Manufacturers and suppliers need to stick together with owners and tell people in these states: "Fine ... see ya!" ... the more we give, the more they take ... and the more they want!

I realize some of you guys will scratch your noggin and say "huh?" ... but that's IMHO rant.gif

If you really want to do something, you'll find a way ...
    ... If you don't, you'll find any excuse.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Kimberkid, I think you're in the same phase with Kimber as I am with Ruger. You own the older proven models and any additional safeties or gross changes (external extractor) really p. you off...Therefore even though you love the ones you have...you're done with them.

I'm essentially the same with Ruger. First, way back in '89 they came out with the 77 Mark II...the end of the Ruger 77 legacy for me.
    Now they're sticking loaded chamber indicators and B astardizing first one model then another. I will not partake...I'll just let 'em pass by[:D][:D]

As for Kimber II's, I've never owned a pre-series II...so I only compare the Kimber II's to the other handguns I own/ed and I am very pleased in that regard. The same way someone who has never owed a Ruger 77R might be completely happy with a Ruger 77 Mark II[;)] My new Kimber Series II External Extractor Stainless Target is by far the most satisfying handgun I've owned and I've owned a lot!
  • Options
    knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is nothing wrong with the series 11 Kimbers, They are
    probably the most dependable,accurate out of the box 1911.

Bad spellers of the world

"UNTIE!"
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine function flawlessly

" It Ain't Over till its Over"
  • Options
    gonepostalgonepostal Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Series 80 was bad enough ,it was the one that screwed the trigger up ,but kimberll uses the swartz safety ,it is triggered of the grip safety ,and yes THEY DO AND WILL MALFUNTION ,it was invented in 1939 by William swartz ,it was not popular then ether for the same reason ,and most who own them and like them do not shoot 500 rounds a week ,nor do they do a total tear down the bare frame every 1000 rounds or so for a good thorough cleaning ,extra parts equals more things to go wrong ,true die hard 1911 fans will have nothing to do with it ,end of story

Now there are those that think it is a "true" 1911 , but it is not ,nor is the para ordanance LDA crap

I would love to own a kimber cdp series one

dhs-advisory-elevated.gif
  • Options
    JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info.
    Gonepostal: You seem to be pretty knowledgeable on the safety. How exactly does it malfunction? Is there something like a rod that has to fit in a hole and it doesn't..a clip or something that doesn't release? Can it be prevented with thorough maintenance? Could it be removed? I'd love the accuracy potential here but it's very disappointing to here about this safety. But then again, there's a lot of people that hate Glocks and say they're unreliable and I love my 22. And they have 3 internal safeties.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Now there are those that think it is a "true" 1911 , but it is not ,nor is the para ordanance LDA crap

Most people don't want a true 1911...they want adjustable sights, beavertails, extended safeties or one thing or another...
  • Options
    gonepostalgonepostal Member Posts: 604 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Most people don't want a true 1911...they want adjustable sights, beavertails, extended safeties or one thing or another...

those modifications are still within guidelines ,a serious frame ,and mechanical modifications are what i was referring to ,ie: series 80 ,swartz safety ,and double action only

the swartz safety is a lot like the series 80 firing pin block ,but it is activated by the grip safety in an attempt to not alter the trigger pull ,the malfunctions occur when the timing of the slide ,grip safety ,and trigger pull is not synchronized ,the safety pushes up a rod through the frame ,which then pushes up through the slide ,and allows the firing pin to be pushed foreword by the hammer ,personally I think the malfunction can occur due to not having a proper grip on the grip safety ,this is a very common trait found in left handed shooters

the swartz safety can also fail to disengage due to the fact your hand is still on the grip safety ,unlike the series 80 which is relieved when the trigger is released

as far as being California legal ,Wilson combat and a few other have made around this test by adding a titanium firing ping and heavy firing pin spring

this does not necessarily occur in all kimbers ,but in my opinion there is a chance ,only because the safety does exist ,if the safety is not there ,this malfunction cannot occur

dhs-advisory-elevated.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Another option if all of the safeties bother you is a Dan Wesson, I have a PM7-S on layaway now. I admit it's internal extractor and series 70 style is what got my attention and the factory trigger is awesome...I'm looking forward to comparing it to my Kimber Stainless Target II...Unfortunately Dan Wesson's upper end guns have and external extractor too[V]