In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Do you believe in destiny?

bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
No sooner do I get one out and on his own [mostly], then fate steps in and puts another kid in need in the position where I am probably the best solution to his problem. It is kind of wearing on me a little. I envision an endless single file line waiting at the edge of all of my tomorrows. I can't possibly live long enough to see the end of that line and for some reason that knowledge breaks my heart. I'm not complaining and no one has a gun to my head making me take them in, but at the same time it is not in me to turn them away or to leave it in someone else's hands. So in that respect when some kid in need comes across my path I am compelled to find another seat at the table. I am begining to think that no matter what else I may do in this life my inescapable destiny is to salvage children. I guess there are plenty of worse ways to spend one's life.I am rambling on again. Been one of those days. Anyone else feel fate constantly tugging at your sleeve? Do you believe in some kind of divine or ordained purpose? Or am I just a putz who can't say no?

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems

Comments

• gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    You are a putz that cant say no. You are alos a fine human being whos knows what to do and does it. Some call that being a putz. Soooo many names for the same thing. I believe that if you follow your heart and do what is right you will always wake up in the morning and like what you see in the mirror. My 2 cents [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe in destiney. I think that everyone is put on this earth for a reason. Read the Bible and you will see that all things happen for a reason. Chain of events so to speak. Judas was put on earth for a reason.
    I do not think that anyone ever knows the reason for thier exsitance and the reason usually only comes out after they are gone. Like maybe you were put here to supply a heart for a future Nobel Prize Winner. There are things that happen everyday that makes you wonder why certain things happen and I believe the answer is destiny. just my opinion, Don.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I believed in my destiny, and I was mistaken, I might waste a lot of money on lottery tickets. [;)] As it is, I do not believe in destiny, and therefore do not buy lottery tickets.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • Instant KarmaInstant Karma Member Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure,why not? Destiny is just another belief.Alot of people believe in things equally as unprovable.As for what you are doing,you are to be commended for showing love the way you do.Some people just "talk the talk" while you "walk the walk".My hat is off to you.As for my belief,I did not believe in reincarnation during my past life either.

"Instant karma gonna get you,gonna knock you right in the head,better get yourself together,pretty soon you're gonna be dead" John Lennon
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BDJ, Keep on rambling, it helps put your thoughts in order.God has a plan,you're in it, but you don't get to know what it is until it happens. It sounds like that young man needs someone like you to make sure he doesn't end up like his relatives. Listen to your heart, or is that the Man whispering in your ear?[;)]
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Do you believe in destiny?

Absolutely! Especially after coffee in the morning! [:D]

All kidding aside, your not rambling! You are asking the question to life that no one can answer. Extreme up's & downs and sometimes you find your self in the middle of it all.

God has a mission for all of us for which I know not what it is.
    The anwswers only come one day at a time.

gun.gif
    Those who live by the
    sword get shot by those who don't.

[img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • Queen of SwordsQueen of Swords Member Posts: 14,355
    edited November -1
    Big Daddy,
    Taking on another persons resposibilities is one hell of a way to spend your life. But unfortunately, there will always be people out there who abdicate their responsibilities, and fortunately, there are people like you out there who are willing and able to take up the slack. It's a calling. Believe me, I feel your frustration about not being able to 'save them all'. Believe in the positive effect you have on the few lives that you can humanly touch.
    Ever hear the story of the starfish? If you have, you needn't read any further. I saw it handging in a colleages office,read it, and think about it almost every day....
    An old man is walking along a beach one morning. There was a storm the night before. Washed up on the shore are thousands and thousands of starfish, stretching for miles along the beach, as far as he can see. Eventually the old man comes across a boy. The boy is preoccupied with throwing the starfish back into the ocean. The old man is amused. He says to the young boy,"Why are you working so hard to throw a few starfish back into the sea? Look around you, there are thousands of starfish! You can do what you are doing all morning, and still you couldn't possibly save them all! Surely there is some activity that you could preoccupy yourself with that is more important." The boy picks up another starfish, tosses it into the surf and says,"For that starfish, I was doing something important."
    My apologies for the paraphrasing, but I hope the sentiment translated.

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it that the former does not submit to hereditary predjudices, but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence." - Albert E.

On my tombstone:"Keep you eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel..."the Lizard King
  • A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I am in control of my own life! It's not preordained I have a great example. When your hunting do you always shoot a doe! OFCOURSE NOT...you "could" but you don't and you chose that.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    That is not what I was talking about. Sure it is not ordained that you will wipe your butt after taking a crap, but it is probably a good thing to do regardless. I meant: Does a mysterious fate or power seem to set events on a course that, given your predisposition for certain reactions, would lead you then on a certain course?

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    No but I once dated her sister Harmony.

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    By chance I have had the fortune of helping turn a couple of kids around. It was the most satisfying expierience I have known and also the easiest. Giving your time and patience goes a long way and I would do it again in a heartbeat.
    Destiney is a sure thing for us all and happens without our knowing most of the time.
    Your a good man for what you are doing and if I weren't around to help my kids,I would hope they would find a person like you.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't believe in destiny or fate, but I'll tell you what I do believe -- if we don't let our kids take enough risks growing up, and instead keep them dependent on us into their late teens and twenties, we may reap a kid who has learned at the cellular level to depend on us, and if so, however far they go, when things fall apart badly enough, they'll be programmed to remember that early training and come back to the source.

It's a good reason not to shield the kids TOO well, and I don't think enough people see the cause and effect relationship between keeping kids risk-free and seeing them back in the spare bedroom again.

I'll duck now, but that's been my observation. I'm not saying that is YOUR situation, the thread just reminded me of the subject. Sometimes I forget that disclaimer but in this case I want to be sure it's understood. [;)]

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Though it's a very generous thing that you are prepared to do, I seriously doubt any court will place that responsibility on you, no matter how much you feel it is your destiny.