In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FX series "Over There"

forthhorsemanforthhorseman Member Posts: 656 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
Anyone watch this last night? It was okay I guess. A couple of things seemed a little far fetched and the jury is still out on whether Steven Bochco is presenting an anti-war show or not. He's says he's not, just "showing it like it is". But last night's episode was basically full of the soldier characters and their wives complaining about having to go to Iraq and perpetuating the "racial tension" myth in the Army. Best line so far; "We didn't come here for your oil, we came to kick your a55!"

Comments

• Options
    WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=163569

texasC.gif

"If guns kill people, then I can blame my pencil for my spelling mistakes!" -- Larry the Cable Guy
  • Options
    gunoperatorgunoperator Member Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The legs running with no torso?? guess it could happen
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That was one of the far fetched things. Another was the Captain letting the women stay there and another was the Captain dressing down the LT. in front of the troops. I guess that kind of thing does happen but it's not very good leadership.
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by forthhorseman
    But last night's episode was basically full of the soldier characters and their wives complaining about having to go to Iraq

I deal with the wives of the 3rd ID frequently(which is who the guys in the show are with.) I will be dealing with 3 of them tomorrow and I can say without a doubt that although many support their husbands the majority DONT want them to go and complain about them being over there daily. Not to mention the wife cheating on her hubby... if you only knew how much that happens while the men are gone. It is sad but VERY true on that point....

its all about pucks and bucks
    smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm sure complaining about going is frequent but focussing on that as a main sub-plot of the show, smacks of an anti-war sentiment by the producer to me.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm sure complaining about going is frequent but focussing on that as a main sub-plot of the show, smacks of an anti-war sentiment by the producer to me.

I guess we see it differently. I just saw it as him showing the reality of what happens.

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gagirl--How do you know the portrayal actually reflects "the reality of what happens". I get email from members of the 3rd ID on almost a daily basis and also a Lieutenant Colonel from the 3rd ID that is "over there".

OIF vets in my office have nothing good to say about the movie and are disgusted by it's liberal bias and it's failure to reflect what actually happens/happened "over there".

By the time information filters back to the family support group (family gossip group) and goes from one wife to the next, you have to divide by 10 and subtract 50 before you get within ballpark of the truth. The wives generally have no clue because of the "wives club" rumor mill.
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gagirl
    But last night's episode was basically full of the soldier characters and their wives complaining about having to go to Iraq

I deal with the wives of the 3rd ID frequently(which is who the guys in the show are with.) I will be dealing with 3 of them tomorrow and I can say without a doubt that although many support their husbands the majority DONT want them to go and complain about them being over there daily. Not to mention the wife cheating on her hubby... if you only knew how much that happens while the men are gone. It is sad but VERY true on that point....

smilie_schuetze.gif

It would be interesting if your statements were put in terms that could really be evaluated. You are saying that 50.0001% complain that their husbands have to go, but 49.9999% do not complain? Statistically, no basis for your statements. So, in the 50.0009% that do complain, a large percentage of those are cheating? Or, are more that DON'T complain cheating? I would think that wives who are inclinded to cheat are happy their husbands are away, and won't complain.

Give your statements some basis for making them believeable. If you, or the show was dealing with women in LA or NYC compared to Ft. Riley, KS, those things must be considered.

GBLogo-170x60.gif

MEMBER SINCE 10/24/1999.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idsman75
    gagirl--How do you know the portrayal actually reflects "the reality of what happens". I get email from members of the 3rd ID on almost a daily basis and also a Lieutenant Colonel from the 3rd ID that is "over there".

OIF vets in my office have nothing good to say about the movie and are disgusted by it's liberal bias and it's failure to reflect what actually happens/happened "over there".

By the time information filters back to the family support group (family gossip group) and goes from one wife to the next, you have to divide by 10 and subtract 50 before you get within ballpark of the truth. The wives generally have no clue because of the "wives club" rumor mill.

IDS I was not refering to what is going on "over there" only to the part that I responded to which was :

"characters and their wives complaining about having to go to Iraq"

I fully stand by my statement that the majority do not want their husbands to go "over there". Anyone who uses common sense, and I am not saying that you have not used common sense, would understand that the majority of wives do not want their husband to go away for several months. As for the rest... what is actually happening "over there" I have no idea. I have several friends who are in the 3rd ID ( I live about 20 minutes from Ft. Stewart) but right now I mostly talk to the wives/girlfriends. I have not once dealt with any of them saying they dont support their husband, but I can say that 100% of the people I deal with up there be it friends or clients miss their husbands/boyfriends and complain about them being gone. I think you may have misunderstood what I meant about their complaints. They complain because they miss them and worry not because of what they are doing.

I am a woman and I can say that I miss my husband when we are apart for a few days... God knows I would complain openly if we were seperated for several months or more.

BoeBoe being lonely is very difficult to deal with. I see men come in who tell these women the things they want to hear and unfortunatly some of the women stray. I never said anything about percentages or said that the majority were cheating only that it does happen more than some would think and that it is sad.

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    boeboe--I would say that your analysis about happiness and cheating are incorrect. I'd say that cheating during deployments happens a whole heck of a lot more than cheating in the civilian populace. I would also say that the cheating results from unhappiness over 1+ year(s) of separation from spouses.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    boeboe--I would say that your analysis about happiness and cheating are incorrect. I'd say that cheating during deployments happens a whole heck of a lot more than cheating in the civilian populace. I would also say that the cheating results from unhappiness over 1+ year(s) of separation from spouses.

That's dead on what I was saying...you just said it better...

smilie_schuetze.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm not excusing it and I have good friends whose wives would NEVER cheat on them. There's probably a weakness of character that causes one to yield more easily to cheating behaviors when placed in certain circumstances. I was at Fort Drum while the 10th Mountain Division was deployed to Bosnia in 1999/2000. I couldn't walk into one of the on-post clubs ("Spinners" aka "Spouses") without being propositioned by the clientel which consisted primarily of spouses whose husbands were deployed.

Funny image....

Naked guy running down the street being chased by a guy in a uniform with camo paint still on his face because he just got back from the field(a night early). Uniformed guy being chased by naked woman who is being chased by MP who just caught on to what just happened.
  • Options
    cruzie27cruzie27 Member Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Funny image....

Naked guy running down the street being chased by a guy in a uniform with camo paint still on his face because he just got back from the field(a night early). Uniformed guy being chased by naked woman who is being chased by MP who just caught on to what just happened.

LMAO!!!![:D]

JODY STRIKES AGAIN!

sad thing they dont even have to be in the field,..they coud be on CQ/staff duty, or even at work. makes you wnder why no one has opend a chasity belt store near post

th_sign.jpg
    th_P1010032.jpg
  • Options
    RocklobsterRocklobster Member Posts: 7,060
    edited November -1
    Nauseating lefty bias. Of course the clown claims that he's "telling it like it is." If he had mentioned that he wanted to help out the lefty anti warnics, it would have drastically cut down the viewing audience right off the bat.

My mission is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,847 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There were also several scenes with at least one soldier wearing his kevlar backwards. It's no "Band Of Brothers" in my opinion.

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dave W.
    There were also several scenes with at least one soldier wearing his kevlar backwards. It's no "Band Of Brothers" in my opinion.

R/

Dave
    th_bigclay.bmp
    People everywhere confuse what they read in newspapers with news.

-- A. J. Liebling

Really? I didn't notice that. I'll have to watch out for that next week.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Watched last night's episode. Still not impressed. I doubt I will watch it anymore.

texasC.gif

"If guns kill people, then I can blame my pencil for my spelling mistakes!" -- Larry the Cable Guy
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm still not very impressed either but I'll probably keep watching it. I'm bothered by the fact that everything shown so far is only the negative side of things and by how much the show seems to be focussing on "racial tension" between the troops which I think is BS. I do like the sergeant character. In last night's episode after they had blasted the first car that tried to come through their road block and Dim asked the sergeant if there was any chance the guys in the car they'd just shot were just scared, innocent guys trying to get away from the town where the fighting was going on, the sergeant replied with a simple "yep". And I liked it when the new guy showed up and turns out he's of middle eastern decent and one of the black guys asked him if he was an "Arab", to which he replied, "I'm American" and the black soldier said, "Yeah, but where'r your people from?", to which he replied, "Detroit". I thought that was pretty funny.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Watched half of last night's episode. The psycho special ops guy, or whatever he was, was a little too much for me. When no one had a backbone to stand up and tell the guy off, that's when I tuned out.

texasC.gifthumb_Texas-AM.jpg

• Options
    ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rocklobster
    Nauseating lefty bias. Of course the clown claims that he's "telling it like it is." If he had mentioned that he wanted to help out the lefty anti warnics, it would have drastically cut down the viewing audience right off the bat.
    Yep. Michael Moore wins awards for "telling it like it is" all the time.
  • Options
    InvictaInvicta Member Posts: 262 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ain't no way i'm gonna watch that show. it's just gonna make people think that wars are some type of entertainment.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Invicta
    ain't no way i'm gonna watch that show. it's just gonna make people think that wars are some type of entertainment.

Take my word for it, this particular show is just going to convince the left that they're right about how wrong they believe the war in Iraq is and its just going to piss the right off because it has such a liberal slant to it, I almost can't believe its on a Fox channel.