In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

The coyotes come and the coyotes go

Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2004 in General Discussion
The coyotes are out in force tonight. I stepped outside with a spotlight and could see 2 over by the woods...and could hear several more back 100 yards or so behind those. They are trying to bait my old dog, George, into chasing them. Won't work--he's too smart for that trick. But George barks and barks...working overtime to keep them at a distance from the house.

Only problem, his barking keeps me and Mrs Rafter awake. Every once in a while I go out on the porch and yell at the things. At that, they leave for a while...or at least settle down where we can have some peace. But in an hour or so, they're back.

This normally happens every couple of weeks or so as they pass through on their way to the river. They will pick up a few rabbits and gophers, maybe a chicken that decided to roost away from the coup, maybe one of the cats that didn't come up tonight. But other than that, no harm done.

The coyotes come and the coyotes go.

Rafter-S

Comments

• Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Yea, they'd go here too! If I could "see two" over there there would at least be 1 less tomorrow morning!!! If the other one was DSOB there would be two less!! They are eating the groundhogs and that's a "killing" offence!!! GHD
  • Options
    Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are starting to get to the numbers that I do some "population adjustment" on them. But it's dark now and I don't know exactly where the cattle are. Bouncing rifle bullets around my pasture when I can't see what's beyond the target makes me nervous.

I'll get one here and there--usually late in the afternoon or about sunrise.

Rafter-S
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    wood_cam_026.jpg

Heres one takin a leak in my backyard
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Raftor-S, I'll bet if you can see the coyote, there are no animals behind him! And if you shoot him with a 17Rem, 222,223,22-250 using a Hornady VMAX, it won't make any difference because it's not likely to come out!!!! If he's 100 yards and you shoot him with 17HMR in the head or neck, you're going to kill him and I'll guaratee you if old mama brood cow and her baby were 5 feet behind him, you're not going to hurt them!!!! Cause that one don't exit!!! GHD
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MVP--When I look at that picture I see a fur hat on four legs taking a leak.
  • Options
    crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This morning I was driving to my son's house and saw a coyote trotting toward the road I was on. I stopped and waited. He never changed pace and just trotted across the road in front of my pickup. So close that I couldn't see him over the hood. He was carrying his head and tail very low and I guess he was pretty sick. I had my old .38-40 Winchester with me but there were houses in the immediate area and I didn't want anyone thinking I was a terrorist. [:D][;)]
  • Options
    ryan_marineryan_marine Member Posts: 635
    edited November -1
    MVP that would be the last leak he ever took if he was in my back yard.

Ray

More Powder, More Lead, More Dead