In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Roller Hockey Skates And Ice Skates

robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
How close is the former to approximating what can be done on the latter. My friends say that even by rollerblading in the summer I'll lose all my ice skating skills because the two are nowhere near close to each other, or so they say. I mean, aside from the fact you can't do a hockey stop in roller hockey blades, how close is the motion and what not?

signew.JPG

"In a world of compromise, some don't."

anim_bannana.gifanim_bannana.gifanim_bannana.gifanim_bannana.gifanim_bannana.gif

Utica.gif

Comments

• MaCTMaCT Member Posts: 276 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The two are different, but rollerblading in the summer will help with your balance & keep you in shape.

~ Give Blood - Play Hockey ~
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It doesn't matter.
    You are still exercising the same leg muscles.

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hay roboman the sun is going to burn out in 5 billion years why dont you worry about that.[:(]

psalms 16
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    make sure you lift all summer too not just skate

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by RugerNiner
    It doesn't matter.
    You are still exercising the same leg muscles.

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/

I'd think maintaining proper skating form would have more to do with than just keeping the proper leg muscles in shape. Doesn't balance have something to do with it? Can you even do crossovers and what-not on roller hockey skates?

signew.JPG

anim_bannana.gifanim_bannana.gifanim_bannana.gifanim_bannana.gifanim_bannana.gif

Utica.gif
  • bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    I couldn't disagree with your friend more. The skating motions are identicle. I have played ice hockey all my life, and roller a few times, but skate often, not any time any more.[V] I am the largest Mission roller dealer in the Chicago area. So, I actually know a little about this. I don't know what your buddie thinks would be better off-season training, but there is nothing better. Inline skates were invented by hockey players to train in the off-season.

Oh, BTW, it is very possible to hockey stop on inline skates. If he can't do it, he must not be the expert he claims to be.[:D]

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bsally
    I couldn't disagree with your friend more... Oh, BTW, it is very possible to hockey stop on inline skates. If he can't do it, he must not be the expert he claims to be....[:D]

That's what I was going to say!!

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security
    edited November -1
    I couldn't disagree with your friend more. The skating motions are identicle. I have played ice hockey all my life, and roller a few times, but skate often, not any time any more.[V] I am the largest Mission roller dealer in the Chicago area. So, I actually know a little about this. I don't know what your buddie thinks would be better off-season training, but there is nothing better. Inline skates were invented by hockey players to train in the off-season.

Oh, BTW, it is very possible to hockey stop on inline skates. If he can't do it, he must not be the expert he claims to be.[:D]

SALLY

Even I was surprised to hear you can do a hockey stop on roller hockey skates. It doesn't seem like the wheels would slide at all when turned to the side on asphalt or what not. Guess I'll have to use them when the snow melts and see for myself! I have a summer job where I could wear 'em and skate around all day and still do my job fine. I definitely play on doing that. That's the best practice imaginable! 8 hours of skating a day!

signew.JPG

Utica.gif
  • bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    You have too lean into the skates more than on ice. Get the angle of the wheels to the ground greater than an ice blade to the ice. Obviously there are some surfaces that are easier than others to do it on. Have fun, sounds like a cool job, what is it?

SALLY
    edited November -1
    You have too lean into the skates more than on ice. Get the angle of the wheels to the ground greater than an ice blade to the ice. Obviously there are some surfaces that are easier than others to do it on. Have fun, sounds like a cool job, what is it?

SALLY

I live on an island so I work for the state ferry service. I basically walk around a parking lot wearing a vest and make sure cars board the ferry in an orderly fashion. The best part about the job is that as soon as the ferry begins it's trip from the side I'm working on, I'm free to do whatever I want. The job only requires about 15 minutes of work for every hour but I get paid for the entire day anyway. I figure I can get around faster to instruct people if I have the roller hockey blades on, plus I can practice the whole time.

So if I spend my summer doing nothing but roller hockey skating, I won't be starting from square one as soon as I get back onto the ice come winter?

signew.JPG

Utica.gif