In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Agent Orange, Anyone? (C&P)

HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Negev Bedouin protest home demolitions, crop destruction

By Nir Hasson, Haaretz Correspondent

Dozens of Bedouin residents of unrecognized villages in the Negev Desert demonstrated in Be'er Sheva on Sunday morning against the Interior Ministry's and Israel Lands Administration's policies of home demolitions and crop destruction in their villages.

The protest was held opposite the Interior Ministry's Be'er Sheva offices.

Last week, the ILA's crop-duster planes again sprayed wheat fields planted by the Bedouin citizens, killing the crops.

Sheikh Sayikh Al-Turi, of the Al-Arakib village near Kibbutz Lahav, said this was the fifth time in five years that state authorities had sprayed his crops.

"Two hundred people live off this land. We have no other choice than to plant again. I hope enough rain falls for the wheat to sprout," he said.

The Bedouin were also protesting harm to people, pasture lands and livestock caused by the spraying.

"One of my family members passed out after breathing the spray that was used," Al-Turi said.

The demonstrators carried signs reading "The destruction of croplands is terror" and "The state is using weapons of mass destruction against the Bedouins."

There is always one more imbecile than you counted on.

Hypocrisy is the homage paid by vice to virtue.

Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.

Comments

• brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,079 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    whats your point? and what does this have to do with agent orange?
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now I don't pretend to know why the Israelie government sprayed the crops(if indeed they did). But I would like to hear their side of the story before arriving at conclusions. If they did indeed spray the crops out of spite,as he seems to suggest, that would be out of character for them and wrong. Usually they have good and valid reasons when they do something like that because they know the rest of the world is watching and waiting for them to make a mistake. I agree, the agent orange moniker is out of place and context--unless he is un-informed on that subject too.