In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

If you won the lottery.

daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
If money were not an issue, where in the U.S. would you live and what type of house would you have? What would you do all day?
I can't seem to make up my mind. I've been all over and like a lot of different places from the desert to the mountains. Most likely northern New Mexico in an over and under house (half in ground/half out).

Comments

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,063 ******
    edited November -1
    I think my house, for about 3 or 4 years, would have wheels on it.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in Ks. doing what I do best, nothing.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    A yes i have played this scenario out many a time in my head. First finish school, god i hope I could do that. then build ranch in Montana, Nebraska, Kansas, South Texas, and buy my grand parents farm and all the land for a mile or 2 in each direction. then spend the rest of my life making babies and hunting the world sounds like a plan to me

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • lmfischerlmfischer Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I suppose my house would have an anchor. The Virgin Islands are part of the U.S., right? I would sail, scuba dive, drink gin & tonic, and play video games all day.

"No matter how good you are at something, there's always about a million people better than you." - Homer Simpson
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy a big ol Catamaran. Lots of liquor and just sail around.

RUGER.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    Get a cell phone with a unlisted number, then a house on wheels for a while!!

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    What's this "if" stuff? You mean I'm the only one?
    Bummer, dudes. You gotta play to win.
    add_a_buck.jpg
    logo.gif
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    A wise, rich man once told me:
    "What would you do if money was no object. What do you want to do with your life?
    Make a list of what you want to do, and figure out how to do it with the money you have".

css_logo.gif
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd have several houses, on in AK for nice summers and great big game hunting, have a place in the deep south with a lot of ponds for catchin' fish...
    I'd have me a place to putt around on atv's (maybe one of those cool 6wd thingys).
    My wife would want a "show house" but I'd still want something simple and usable (maybe we'd have seperate houses).
    I just hope to get me a small chuck of land out in the sticks and put my little 2 room cabin in the middle of it.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would buy a new Ford truck and build an underground house. My favorite room in any house is the basement. I thought it would be cool to buy a huge grain-bin and paint the outside red like a barn. Then I would turn the inside into a modern house. People would drive down a country road and just see some big red grain bin with a smaller grain bin next to it that I would use as a garage. They wouldn't notice that someone actually lives there.
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fortunately, and as modest as it may be, I already live where I want, in the house (cabin) I want, doing what I want, when I want. But if I won the lottery, I would certainly buy bigdaddyjunior the corrective underwear he so desperately needs.
  • bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pay off all my bills.

Have a house built the way I wanted it(with the approval of the wife)[:D]

Buy all the guns that I ever wanted.

Nice cars and trucks, "not necessarily new".

Under the house have a 300 yard underground rifle range with all the amenities.

There are more, but it would take all day to list them.

Without having money worries why list them.[:p][:D]

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I would build a little cabin a bunch of miles from the next nearest human being, preferably in the mountains with some year round running water source. The majority of the windfall I would use to hire a crack team of therapists, hypnotists and voodoo witch doctors to help that poor Dances With Sheep gentleman. Oh, and a young blonde swedish seamstress to make him some pants.

P.S. the doc says he can cut off as much as I need to get it all to fit comfortably, so I've given up on the briefs of steel concept.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    The first thing I'd do would be to RETIRE. Don't ya'll hate it when some lottery winner says he isn't going to quit work, that the money 'won't change me.' BS

If it was just a few million, I'd retire, get ona them motorhomes, and me and the wife would tour the USA.

But if it was a huge MegaMillions or Powerball win, here's what I'd do, seriously:

1. I'd set up a 'supplemental' retirement fund for ALL the cops and firefighters in my county.
    2. As soon as a cop or firefighter could retire, the supplemental fund would bring his retirement pay up to the chief's regular pay.
    3. When the chief got a raise, all those retired would get a raise too.

If I was to win one of those HUGE lotteries, there'd be lots of job openings around here!

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rebel: can I be your friend? [:D]

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • Special OperationsSpecial Operations Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You would be wise to first, without telling anyone, hire a tax attorney...a GOOD one! Then, without revealing your identity, hire a general practice attorney(s)....then, have someone else (by designation of counsel), buy a large motor yacht....and sail off shore.

From there, you should fly your accountants off-shore to meet with you. Then, figure out how to shield your money from all the endless "old friends", "charities" and others that want your doe. Figure out a plan (accounts, etc) to support the rest of your family...then dissapear!!

For the rest of your life...never go anywhere fast...just enjoy!
  • mark christianmark christian Member Posts: 24,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sheepman, I've heard that it will take winning the lotto to pay off the cost of your new deck! I would sell my little place in southern Utah and then build a BIG place in southern Utah and retire. I'd have time to write the two books I've been planning on U.S. Military rifles and I'd try to get enough support to land a seat on the board of directors of the National Rifle Association. The rest of my time would be spent shooting, motorcycle riding and traveling through Europe...wait a minute, that is what I do now!

Mark T. Christian
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Probably where i am, but down the road a bit into a bigger house, more property. Then Id buy a bunch of property somewhere else, have a shooting range, do some hunting, ya know ya know.

bigun2.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Ah crapola, I forgot about the deck-mahal. Guess I ain't gettin' them underwear before the next carnival season.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • ManofactionManofaction Member Posts: 110 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would get a giant piece of property 200 acers or so. Not sure where but I would figure it out if I had the cash. Then I would build a bad a** house with all the electronic toys I could find. THen a big hanger for all the race cars, boats, bikes, etc. Then I would build a lake for some of the toys and a drag strip; which would of course run parallel to my 1000 yrd shooing range and combat shooting house. Then I would build a trap and sporting clay range; there is more but I don't feel like writing a book as I am sure you do not wish to read one.
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mark: I understand that some of the homes in St. George are so palatial that they have Jewish lawn jockeys.
  • madmarc0madmarc0 Member Posts: 862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If I won the lottery first thing I would do is get divorced.

Then it's off to Vegas with some young chick (not to get married) just for fun.

I measured it and cut it twice, and it's still too short!
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    daddo
    Funny you should say that. We have already picked out the "general" area in northern New Mexico, and have designed the half underground house that we will build into the hillside, passive as well as active solar, so I can not help you there.

Unless you want 2 houses, one a little farther south for the winter and one in Montana (or?) for the summer. The house on wheels would be nice for a while too.

As for what to do.
    1. Designed into the house mentioned above, is a greenhouse, that will take up some of my time. Raising just a few fruits, vegetables, herbs, and spices that I would use. Along with some house plants that I like.
    2. I love to tinker in my shop. (mostly wood, a little metal) From small projects that only take an hour or so to complete, to larger ones that take days. There is no end with what you can do with wood. And there is nothing quite like standing back and seeing the finished product. I want to build a roll top desk someday with all kinds of exotic woods.
    3. Along with reading books, I would try my hand at writing one (or more).
    4. I would build a motorcycle from the ground up.
    5. I would raise exotic pheasants. (again)
    6. Design and build animated music boxes. Kind of goes with # 2.
    7. Try to stay politically active, at least online, as I would be living too far away to commute to anywhere.
    8. Setting up a small route of craft, woodcarving and gun shows, would take up some more of my time. You never know what kind of people you are going to meet, or what kinds of ideas you will encounter along the way. Gun shows would be selling wood items, like folding shooting benches and chairs, custom rifle racks with the buyers name engraved (or carved) into them, along with any other gun related (or just plain useful) wood products you can come up with.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    1. Buy an island outside of any countries territoial waters and build a home as i wish it to be, a runway, a firing range, and of couse, a n underground water proof hurricane shelter with all the necessary bells and whistles.

2. Buy everything i always wanted whatever that might be
      ![:D][:D]
    Gun_smokes.gif

Swanton.gif
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would buy a piece of property next to my shop. Build a very secure fortress-looking affair and open a free arms museum for the public.

I went to the Patton Museum in Southern Cali and really liked it.

Then I would travel and aquire neat little items for display.

What men call a hero...is merely a man who is seen doing what a brave man does as a matter of course.
    A man who is in love with learning is a man who is never without a bride, for there is always more. L'Amour
  • Winchester-muttWinchester-mutt Member Posts: 212 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The place might sound odd...but I would buy a huge spread in the Green Mountains of Vermont. Most beautiful place I have ever seen, exceping all the liberal granola's running around. Then what would I do? ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING I WANTED TO!
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't have any bills to pay off now so that is a tough one. Probably buy a new Ford GT-40. A Mooney airplane. Start up some kinda scholarship program for children. Stay away from all the wannabee friends who knew you had the money.
  • orca44magorca44mag Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was in the Black Hills about 25 years ago. We rode the old mining trails one day and came around a bend that led into a valley.
    There stood a log cabin in a meadow about 50 yards from a stream.
    The sun was breaking thru cotton-candy clouds that left shadows on areas of the meadow. Near the edge of the forest was 20-30 turkeys doing what they do. The stream had a boulder bottom with lots of areas of whitewater riffs and current breaks. On the shore opposite the meadow was a bluff with forest on top. It truly looked like a landscape done by a world-class artist (God, in this case).
    I can still see the scene in my mind just like it was yesterday, and if I hit the Big One, I'm gone.
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Id stay in Pennsylvania, but move 4 hours North West. HAVE a luxury cabin, with a jacuzzi(I dont like jacuzzis, but my wife does, and heck what do I care I can afford it)built on 500 wooded acres.
    What would I do? Hunt shoot, play music with colleagues that I would fly in once a week on my personal jet.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    Go west my friend. Would buy several thousand acres in the mountains and make sure that land stayed in my family for ever.

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    Buy my Dads 90 acres from him and my neighbors 80 acres and build me a nice but not huge house. I would build me a pole barn and have a indoor pistol range and a outdoor 500 yd. range.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Member Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, make sure it was invested to make a stable income, then work till I got fired. It would take about 2.5 months with vacation and all.

Those people who see nothing but grey areas, no black and white, are lost in the fog.
  • gbeggrowgbeggrow Member Posts: 5,499
    edited November -1
    Number one, I'd makes sure all my friends and family were taken care of!

My family owns 150 acres in the sothern part Ohio (hey I like it here plus all my family is here). It's also the highest elevation in that county. I'd build a kick * log/field stone house at the top of the land with a gigantic fireplace in the middle of it. I'd have to have a large wrap around patio all the way around it too.

I would then build the "disney world" of indoor shooting ranges with a 5 star bar and grill. I'd make sure that it had very private log style rooms for guests from out of town. I'd be sure to make it family friendly for all to enjoy. My facility would have a state of the art gun store. I'd also like for it to have a firearms museum that would have a study and an archive area for people to come and do restoration research. Certainly I'd have to have a staff of gun smiths to take care of the customers needs and to also maintain the museum pieces. I'd have to have a shooters and hunters supplies store in it too. Oh yea....I'd be sure to do a drawing on the Gunbroker forum biquarterly to offer up an all expenses paid trip to my outdoor paradise. All proven GBers would be entitled to a discount!![:D]

Ok, while I'm still dreaming I'd have to have a private jet (ceratinly equipped with one of those 30mm gatlin guns like the wart hog fighter jet has)[}:)] to get me, my wife, and what ever friends back and fourth from my second get away home in beautiful Montana.

Lastly, I'd enjoy the heck out of life![8D]

Almost forgot...I'D INVEST MY MONEY!
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    My wife and I discuss this dream every now and again. We'd set aside enough money take care of the two of us, see our kids through school and give them a little something for a start. If there was more we'd do something for the grand kids.

Then we'd have a base home and get 2 small homes - winter (Kansas to Utah) & summer (SC to Pa) - in a desired location.

I'd like to quit work, but, teach my profession to others and offer guidance. The rest of the money, we would like to anonymously help others in TRUE need. Not support them, but, those you always hear of that just need that little extra helping hand to help them over the hump.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • NOTPARSNOTPARS Member Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A farm house on a bodacious hill overlooking the Atlantic. No neighbors either. A huge pole barn to store my 1960s Plymouths and Dodges (nothing special but I like them). An outdoor and an indoor range. Proximity to a university to finish my grad and doctoral degrees. And then I'd vacation for a while and teach at the college...the Constitution and the Second Amendment of course. Did I mention I'd buy lots of guns? Not the high dollar stuff either. I don't care about them. Lots of fun guns...lots
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Gotta say- I'm with pickenup.
  • BlackieBoogerBlackieBooger Member Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Move south out of this cold winter.

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, not liberty to purchase power."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd move into my Dad's house! Then I'd set up a formal shooting range, and trap range. I'd sit around and build myself racecars. I would also pave his driveway. As far as the details of spending the money goes, he and I are both pretty good at that.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • FW357FW357 Member Posts: 435 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lottery = Government scam

Lottery = Pipe Dream

Lottery = Poor people spending their grocery money on that Pipe Dream

Lottery = More money for schools, thats a crock of BS

Lottery = State lottery administrator has a 200,000 dollar a year job

Lottery = Advertising of millions of dollars a year. Payable to relatives of the lottery administration.

I understand someone has to win, but there are sure a bunch of losers compared to winners.

I may not always be right, but I am never wrong. Magnum Force