In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

400 year old sourdough

1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
edited April 2017 in General Discussion
i obtained a sourdough starter that is alleged to be from 1633 germany called black death sourdough starter, in a few weeks i will be able to compare it to my whole wheat starter and my bread flour starter

Comments

• Options
    skicatskicat Member Posts: 14,431
    edited November -1
    With starter that old, it's going to come out of the oven stale!
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    gots plague bugs in it[:0]
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forget it...African-Americans on the first slave ship wrote the recipe while they all hummed Amazing Grace. Just more black history we all need to know about. Pass it on please.
    What's next?
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    Forget it...African-Americans on the first slave ship wrote the recipe while they all hummed Amazing Grace. Just more black history we all need to know about. Pass it on please.

LOL[:D]
    RLTW

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi

I saw it on PBS so it has to be true. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya'll are sharp!!!!!!!![:D]
    What's next?
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by skicat
    With starter that old, it's going to come out of the oven stale!

hell that old its going IN the oven stale......................
  • Options
    edited November -1
    well they are supposed to have a sourdough starter that has been kept alive since the pyramids where built and was used in the bread to feed the workers who built Egypt
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Interesting. Any tricks to keeping it alive? The only yeast I have ever used for bread is the powder.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redneckandy
    Interesting. Any tricks to keeping it alive? The only yeast I have ever used for bread is the powder.

just feed it more flour and water 50/50 every week if kept in the fridge, daily if left out
  • Options
    gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    How would ya say, "Frigidaire" in 16th century German?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    it does not have to be refrigerated , but it stalls the fermentation without killing it

sourdough as a leavening agent goes back to at least 3700bc, modern yeast as we know it only 150 years
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,385 ******
    edited November -1
    I sure hope that you are not the sole person responsible for keeping your aged sourdough alive!

Over 25 years ago I had this little old lady come into my nursery wanting me to replant her house cactus.

It was a very fine specimen that was in a 10 inch clay pot. I could see from the plants size and branching's that it needed to go a bit bigger.

I took on her order and said it would be ready to pick up in a couple of days.

I had a very nice 12" clay pot on hand and set about the task of extracting the cactus and giving it the needed extra root space.

All went well and the lady came by to pick it up and shared her story with me.

She introduced herself stating that she had just celebrated her 95th birthday and the replanting of her cactus was her gift to herself.

The cactus she had owned for over 70 years which was a wedding present from her grandmother.

I also learned the plant had been passed down from grandmother to granddaughter for a couple of generations before that!!

I never sat down and did any arithmetic about the actual age of the cactus, but just from this lady's age, it must have been a couple hundred years old at least!

Hearing her story, I had a hard time charging her for my little bit of work, so I just loaded it up in her car and wished her a very happy birthday. She gave me a hug of thanks and secretly slipped a twenty dollar bill into my shirt pocket.

A couple years later I again had the pleasure of this fine ladies attention when she returned to my shop with the old cactus in tow.

She was moving into a nursing home and had no living relatives left and wanted me to have her cactus! She wouldn't take no for an answer.

I was now the custodian of the centuries old house plant![:0]

10 years later, a heavy spring rain flooded my back storage greenhouse killing that old cactus along with several fine Bonzi trees I had stored there.[V] I felt a great loss that has been with me ever since.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    I think the last one I had was left over from the Last Supper. [xx(]