In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Favorite car you owned, and wish you had back.

Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
edited October 2003 in General Discussion
Well, what car have you owned, sold, and wished you had it back?

I sold my old 1967 Mustang GT350 (CLONE, not original) just after the SEP 11th attacks. I knew we were leaving for war and was unsire of my future. Did nto want to have the wife have to worry about my car while I was gone.

Now, I miss it terribly. I have tried to replace it by buying a newer model Mustang convertible, but it is just not the same. I wish I had her back.

How bout you, what one do you miss? Any pics? Here are mine.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p06cadb6171370fa27cc00d500885ec09/faf10c02.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p834977c13e25139dab8ab6050feadc5f/faf10bfa.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/pa2c5ce48e5f425386dece15785fcb3c0/faf10bfd.jpg

NSDQ!

"To every man, there comes in his lifetime, that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered a chance to do a very special thing, unique to him and fitted to his talents;What a tragedy if that moment should find him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour." --Sir Winston Churchill--

Comments

• Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Black '57 Ford Sunliner Convertible, white top, 312 cu. in V8, stick w/overdrive. Oh, yeah - 9 years old.
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    '68 Plymouth Roadrunner

annoyaliberal.jpgnotmyfault.gif
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    '68 Dodge Charger R/T with the original magnum engine... man did that thing ever fly low[8D]. Sold it when I joined the Navy in Jan of 1979[:(] Unfortunately, at 8 mpg, I couldn't afford to drive it all the way from Oregon to New London, CT for Submarine school after I finished bootcamp in San Diego (and it absolutely needed 100 octane premium gas to run right)[V]

Bert H.
  • Options
    0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    1996 chev camaro z28 t-tops ,silver,7 stars wheels,low pro's.
    i was the first to drive it.i got it on active duty spent my entire time on active duty paying for this car,when i finally reached my eas the car was paid off drove her back home to oregon had her home for 2 months and walked outside 1 morning and she had been stolen,man i miss that car[:(]

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • Options
    punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    1.) 1957 Pontiac Starchief Convertible
    2.) 1970 AMX
    3.) 1967 Firebird 400 Convertible
    4.) 1964.5 Mustang
    5.) 1967 Mustang
    6.) 1973 Javelin AMX

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • Options
    Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Why aren't my pics of the '67 posting to the message thread? Any suggestions?

NSDQ!

"To every man, there comes in his lifetime, that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered a chance to do a very special thing, unique to him and fitted to his talents;What a tragedy if that moment should find him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour." --Sir Winston Churchill--
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With all your posts mine seems trivial, however, there are several cars I'd like back. First and foremost, I'd actually like to have my boat back. However, since you said cars, I wish I still had my '81 cutlass. Nothing fancy, it was actually run-down. However, I built a 400 hp 400 SB Chevy 4-bolt for it, built 700R4 from a 'vette, lowered it (tactfully), but big-@$$ exhaust tubes on it and a positrac rear-end, oh, and NO emissions equipment. I never ran it at the track but I could get a very solid 3rd gear scratch (about 25 feet or so) out of it and still get a respectable 15-18 mpg. I built it JUST for pulling the boat (that's why it still had highway gears and a stock stall-speed converter). It was an unfinished project, but I got rear-ended on Haloween '96 and totaled it out. I also kinda wish I had back the '79 Monte Carlo that I sold to my wife (that's how we met).
    Here's the link to some of our "motorvations" from my wife and I (if you're interested):
    http://bambihunter.myftp.org/Katie's Valentine Page/Cars.htm

The car I was talking about was the brown cutlass with the nasty black wheels on front and the boat is the one clear to the bottom, the car I sold my wife is the blue one at the top (they are in chronicalogical order, except the boats are at the bottom)... It's not all we've had, but it's all that we had together that we have pictures to.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    My first car. A 64 Volkswagen.
  • Options
    bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    '66 SS Chevelle

"Don't send flowers when I die. Send money now so I can buy more guns and ammo."
  • Options
    chris_cechris_ce Member Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    77 Datsun 280z
    91 s-10 w/small block v-8

chris
  • Options
    HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first new car I bought in High School-1965 GTO, tri power,389,posi with Mickey Thompson cheater slicks and American mags.I remember all those Chevys,Plymouths,Fords and Dodges-used to see them in my rear view mirror all the time[8D]...Bob

Gun control is a steady hand
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    1970 Ford Torino, with a 429 cobra jet engine I loved that car, the faster you went the lower it went to the ground.[:p][:p][:D][:D]
  • Options
    old single shotsold single shots Member Posts: 3,594
    edited November -1
    66 GTO convertible--67 Pontiac 2+2-60 Olds super 88
  • Options
    laxcoachlaxcoach Member Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Daytona yellow 454/390 1970 'Vette coupe, 4 sp, a/c. Bought it new 9/15/71. Nothing could touch it and most didn't even try when they saw the hood emblems.
  • Options
    bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    '51 Ford crown victoria. VERY few made & the only Ford i ever owned that i'd like to have back.
    [:(][:(]barto

Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names.-JFK
  • Options
    salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont remember the year of the car, I think it was an 83 chevy nova. Paid $125 bucks for it. It was ugly to look at, but passed inspection for both years I had it. It had air conditioning, an 8 cylinder engine(I think it was a 308), and I could drive around for two weeks before I had to put gas in the tank.
    Paid $125, and in two years I NEVER had to fix a thing. The exhaust started going bad, started to smell like sulfur when I went above 55. I was just about ready to go away to college so I decided to give the ar to a friend(he wanted the engine) rather than get it fixed. I really liked that car.

"It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once"
    -David Hume
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I dont have any hankering for one, but my favorite one that I use to own was my 76 Nova, 350 under the hood. I tore that car up, drive train I mean. Fast car, heavy, but fast. Its a good thing the car's transmission quit on me, and I couldnt afford to fix it, cause if it hadnt, I'd have killed myself eventually. That car was just a hint of the trouble to come, and I didnt listen to it. But I survived it, and it WAS fun! Now I dont have a use for that car. I wouldnt mind having my 86 Chevy Sprint back a work car, or even my 71 Ford F250 for a work truck I could beat the heck out of, but it was only 2WD. I still have the Maverick, sort of trying to get rid of it, but no for sale sign on it yet.

marinesega2.jpg
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1955 red and white Chevy convertible, sold it for $400.00.

barto, I had a boss that bought a 51 Crown Vic. It had an automatic chassi lubrication system. You just pushed a button and it was supposed to oil itself.

Old? First you forget names; then you forget faces; then you forget to pull your zipper up; then you forget to pull your zipper down.
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad bought a new 64 1/2 Mustang, 200 AT. He traded it off on a 67 Fairlane because my youngest sister was on her way and a two door wasn't big enough for a family with three children.

My first car was a 66 Chevy II Nova, 230 3 on the tree. I drove that car places people were afraid to take pick up trucks. That particular car would not be worth having today, but I keep my eye peeled for a one like it.

The one that I sold and wish I had back was a 1976 F150, 300 three on the tree. Dad paid about $3000 for it new, sold it to me for $500 in 1988. When it developed trouble in the front end I sold it rather than repair it. Kick me, please.

Remember Ruby Ridge.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    '69 GTO ragtop 400 4bbl 4sp posi headers and an 18 yr. old driver...somehow I'm still alive
  • Options
    rossowmnrossowmn Member Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I still miss my 1964 Impala and 1966 Malibu coupes almost 20 years after selling them when I moved from Iowa to Minnesota. They were both great cars.
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    1959 MGA, red. A real roadster.

You are your own best teacher. My advice is to question all things. Seek for answers, and when you find what seems to be an answer, question that too. L'Amour
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    1959 MGA, red. A real roadster.

I always liked the A ... but never lucky enough to own one. The one I'd like to have back was/is a 1965 MG B.

===========================
    Chance favors the prepared mind [8D]

kimberkid@cox.net
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    My first car.....'69 Mach I

Restored a '57 Belair 2-door hardtop
    but had to sell to pay bills.Never
    got to enjoy it.[:(][:(]
    It's probably worth four times
    what I got for it in '89.[:(]

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my first car, 1967 dodge dart. it had a little 273 V-8 engine. first moter and transmission i ever rebuilt. it's still running. i had it for 7 years, sold it in 87 to a friend of mine for the down payment on my first harly. actually i would like to have that back as well it was a 82 XLS roadster. My friend still has the car and i've been trying to get him to sell it back to me for the last 10 years. don't know what happened to the roadster.

Mike
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't want mine back.I still have it.It's a 1985 AMC Eagle sedan bought in 1985.I've had it 18 yrs this year.That's my baby it's in the garage while my 1996 Lincoln is out in the yard.

[:)] [:p] [:D] [8D] [^]

ATF
  • Options
    longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    So hard to choose......
    1969 Chevelle SS M-22,concords,crager s/s's,365 hp 327 pulled from 65 Vette
    1966 Chevelle ragtop.327 ,4 speed(m21),410 posi
    1967 ragtop R/S Camaro 327,3 speed
    1957 chev.Hardtop
    1968 Camaro 327,4 speed
    1979 Camaro R/s 350,4 speed
    1967 El-Camino
    1953 Ford Pick up,Flathead V-8 and others[:(]all gone now,but not forgetten....
  • Options
    boogerbooger Member Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heck, I want most all of 'em back. My top three:
    1962 Chevy Nova II, straight 6 with the Powerglide. The dash and the bumper were both made of the same material, steel.

1968 Dodge Charger R/T, 440 with closed chamber heads, 727 Torqueflite, 3:23 gears, Black, red interior with R/T stripe delete, factory 4 piston per caliper Bendix disc brakes.

1981 Toyota Celica hatchback. Hey don't laugh, probably the best car that took more abuse than you could ever imagine. You just can't stop those 22R toy motors.

Them ducks is wary.
  • Options
    gruntledgruntled Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    They weren't much at the time but I wish I had them now.

1. 1940 Chevy Coup
    2. 1949 Volkswagen (When I was stationed in Germany)
    4. 1955 Metropolitan convertable.
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    '59 Porsche D Conv. Bought it for $1200 and sold it a year later for $1750-the only time I ever made money on a car.
    Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live"
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1976 Chevy short bed 4X4 pickup with 350 4sp
    1979 Pontiac Trans Am with a 1970 Pontiac 455, miss that one dearly
    1972 Dodge Charger, wasnt fast with the 318 but what a cruiser!
    Last I wish I had my 1982 Ford Mustang GT with a worked over 302, windsor heads, low pro dual quad, T-6 auto with B&M shift kit, 10" B&M Hole Shot and 4.10 rear, fun fun fun.

line.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • Options
    sandman2234sandman2234 Member Posts: 894 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    '55 Cameo
    '57 Cameo
    '68 Charge/426 crossram dual 4's/4sp/4mpg/pass anything on the road but a gas station

Have Gun, will travel
  • Options
    toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    1972 Barracuda with a 340cid, white with a black rally stripe down the hood. Mom nagged Dad to death about me going to kill myself in that car, so I had to sell it and buy a Dodge Colt.[:(]

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!
  • Options
    tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tapwater
    '69 GTO ragtop 400 4bbl 4sp posi headers and an 18 yr. old driver...somehow I'm still alive
    quote:The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • Options
    woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Favorite car: 1992 Miata that's parked out back, will never willingly part with it, even though I can only drive it about 6 months out of the year.

I had a 1950 Chevy Panel truck back in the 70's that I basically lived in. Finally sold it to a friend when I moved to Maine and he's had it for over 20 years. I missed that beast for a long time.

The worst car and most disappointing POS ever was a 1970 Corvette that I bought new when I got out of the military. I kept it for less than 6 months. Rattled, broke, parts fell off, stayed in the shop half the time. Plus, it was SLOW. Still ticks me off when I think about it.
  • Options
    oldfriendsoldfriends Member Posts: 167 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1973 Pinto Wagon. NOT!! Worst car I owned.

I had three 1957 Chevys at the same time in High School. My main car that I drove. The wagon my scout master gave me when he blew a rod. and a two door sedan that I bought from a friend because he needed money. Had a total of $600 tied up in those cars. This was in 1967/8.

When I first joined the army, I bought a 1965 Mustang Convertable. This was in 1970. Wish I had this one back.

Life is Tough!
    It's Tougher if
    You're Stupid

Perspective:
    1 Million Seconds = about 11 days.
    1 Billion Seconds = about 32 years
  • Options
    offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Funny. Somebody down the street is selling what appears to be a 65 Mustang in very good shape right now. I don't have any idea what they want for it.

As for me, the car I miss that I actually owned is a 68 Camaro with Hydramatic transmission, but frankly the manuals were faster. My buddy at the time beat me by a long shot though -- He had a 350 Shelby, Maroon, with 3-point seatbelts, that was amazing to drive. That was right before the Mustangs changed design to encorporate the Shelby aestetics.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

lifepatch.giffortbutton2.gif
  • Options
    SkipVanSkipVan Member Posts: 32 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    1955 red ford convertible - college car

1962 blue Triumph Spitfire - One of the first in CA; drove while in the Navy
  • Options
    longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    1959 Chevy Impala,convertible,409 V-8,automatic,wonderbar radio..............sighh.........
  • Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    1974 OPEL MANTA

JC

Ted Kennedy's breath has killed more people than my car.