In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

explain concealed carry weapon permit to me

remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
edited August 2017 in General Discussion
I'm talking about in a state like where I live where it's perfectly legal to carry openly, what purpose does a concealed carry permit offer.

To start with if a person is not legal to carry or possess a firearm he's going to conceal it anyway, and if caught will go to jail for it. Just because they don't have a concealed carry isn't going to stop them from carrying if they want to carry. And if a person can carry and own a firearm I don't see a difference whether it's carried openly or concealed if it's an open carry state.

Can anybody explain why you have to have a permit

Comments

• Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by remingtonoaks

Because, without a permit, you can't get one of them nifty badges that says, "Permit Holder". Don
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Exactly, IF you live in a state like NC where open carry is legal for anyone allowed to own a hand gun, the Concealed carry permit allows you to carry that firearm concealed.

Otherwise if I am not mistaken even states where open carry is legal concelaed carry isn't.

What purpose does it serve I have no clue
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Texas we used to have a concealed carry license, but since we passed open carry, the concealed handgun license has been renamed to carry license or permit. You have to have a carry license to carry open or concealed.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12

Because, without a permit, you can't get one of them nifty badges that says, "Permit Holder". Don

Wrong, you can buy them for a dime a dozen off of fleabay without having a license
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And as Mr. Perfect stated

Because they still issue permits, even though it is not required. They do this because they know their residents may want to travel to other states that do require it.
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12

Wrong, you can buy them for a dime a dozen off of fleabay without having a license

But then it would be a lie! Don
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    beating-a-dead-horse-gif-14.gif

If you got a problem with that, meet me behind the flagpole after school[:D]
  • Options
    DirtyDawgDirtyDawg Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just another way politicians fleece the taxpayers. All gun laws are unconstitutional. The RIGHT to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. And we the sheeple have allowed our elected puppetmasters to control us.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    edited November -1
    I'm talking about in a state like where I live where it's perfectly legal to carry openly, what purpose does a concealed carry permit offer.

To start with if a person is not legal to carry or possess a firearm he's going to conceal it anyway, and if caught will go to jail for it. Just because they don't have a concealed carry isn't going to stop them from carrying if they want to carry. And if a person can carry and own a firearm I don't see a difference whether it's carried openly or concealed if it's an open carry state.

The permitting process started when some scared pissy pants down in GA thought to herself one day "You know, guns may be scary, but a gun I can't see is even scarier." Then she wet herself at the thought of it. Fearmongering via the bullypulpit accomplished the rest, at the behest of the NRA.

To be completely fair though, the concept that concealing a gun = bad dude dates back to the early 19th century. It was generally accepted that good guys carried their guns openly, and that only dudes who were up to no good would try to hide their guns. And so carrying concealed was made illegal. It was the folks in GA that said (after a lot of pressure) hey maybe it shouldn't be. Throw in some bigotry aimed at blacks and you have your basic history of concealed carry permits.

But to be clear: all restrictive gun laws that have been instituted to date have been done so "to keep people safe". And they always succeed in operatively doing the reverse. Even so with laws prohibiting concealed carry.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mogley98

Because they still issue permits, even though it is not required. They do this because they know their residents may want to travel to other states that do require it.
  • Options
    DirtyDawgDirtyDawg Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1-fan

States should recognize the 2nd Amendment, and allow their citizens the right to keep and bear arms. Otherwise, it is not a right....it is a privilege. The whole system is broken. You don't need a permit to exercise your 1st Amendment right across state lines......well.....not yet anyways....
  • Options
    themountainmanthemountainman Member Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Where do I Get my right to speak permit?
    There are 3 kinds of people in the world. Those who can do math and those who can't. :?
  • Options
    bullshotbullshot Member Posts: 14,342 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Because without the permit, the state can't make money.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you"
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just a way to get your money, like a marriage license....who would have ever thought of getting a license to love a woman other than a damn politician whom the majority are lawyers which mean more money for them in divorces, etc. [V]

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    47studebaker47studebaker Member Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now I'm talking 35 years ago as an officer in PA my Department regulations said my off duty weapon had to be 38 cal. or larger. My father had given me a war years Mauser HSC in 32 cal. that fit nicely in a jeans pocket. So to get around Dept Regs and at least have "coverage" I got a permit.
  • Options
    rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
    edited November -1
    My dad was a cops in Massachusetts and ultimately
    he had acquire a pistol permit.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Because the Governor said so. Concealed carry in my state requires a license, but open carry does not. Open carry can get you hassled a fair amount, depending upon your choice of hog leg. I see some, but very little, open carry and I am looking. Mostly see it in Walmart, which is quite rational.

Badges are illegal in my state, internet sales not withstanding.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Not necessarily, not all states recognize other states CCW permits. I know the state I live in is only surpassed by Florida by the amount of states that will recognize it. But in any case you can't carry in every state, and you can't carry it out of the country. So that argument is shot to s***
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    edited November -1

Not necessarily, not all states recognize other states CCW permits. I know the state I live in is only surpassed by Florida by the amount of states that will recognize it. But in any case you can't carry in every state, and you can't carry it out of the country. So that argument is shot to s***
    http://concealednation.org/2017/07/why-you-need-a-concealed-carry-permit-even-if-your-state-is-permitless/
    And fiery auto crashes
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    mrshortymrshorty Member Posts: 110
    edited November -1
    Remington oaks.
    one difference here is that open carry yo cannot havebut four rounds in a revolver and the chamber under the hammer must be on an empty one and the next up has to be empty, on an semi auto there can be no round in the chamber. concealed carry you can carry six in a revolver an d a semi auto can have one in the chamber an a full magazine
    dan
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best reason I can think of is that a guy carrying openly will be the first target of bad guys. Carrying concealed gives you a chance for a little surprise advantage in some conceivable situations, not probable, but conceivable.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,034 ******
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CaptFun
    beating-a-dead-horse-gif-14.gif
    [:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Exactly, IF you live in a state like NC where open carry is legal for anyone allowed to own a hand gun, the Concealed carry permit allows you to carry that firearm concealed.

Otherwise if I am not mistaken even states where open carry is legal concelaed carry isn't.

What purpose does it serve I have no clue

Good luck with open carry in cities such as Asheville, Charlotte, Raliegh, etc. City ordinances can and do supercede state law.
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's all about control. Initially in many states it was difficult to obtained a concealed carry permit. Many states have gone to a "shall issue" requirement so that no longer can local politicians prevent people from getting permits with out demonstrating "just cause". Like most every law it is a feel good law, that allows for control and revenue generation.
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Shall not be infringed" The keynote of the 2nd amendment right to keep and BEAR arms. Shall not explain the concealed carry weapon permit. Seems politicians and lawyers have found money making machines.

Judges with uncertain intentions. Forgotten the Constitution.
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    in Nc the permit takes the place of the NICS check streamlines your purchases. Plus it is a moneymaker for the gov
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war.....