In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Big Sky Redneck

Ricci WrightRicci Wright Member Posts: 8,260 ✭✭
edited November 2016 in General Discussion
Here's some information that you need to keep on hand for use the next time you experience trespass/illegal access issues that tainted your first hunting season here in Montana.

http://fwp.mt.gov/doingBusiness/contactUs/

FWP Headquarters

Montana Fish, Wildlife & Parks
1420 East Sixth Avenue
P.O. Box 200701
Helena, MT 59620-0701

Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8:00 AM-5:00 PM

Phone: (406) 444-2535
Fax: (406) 444-4952
E-mail: fwpgen@mt.gov

Directors Office (406) 444-3186
Human Resources (406) 444-5653
Commission (406) 444-7826
Licensing (406) 444-2950

Enforcement Bureau
General Questions (406) 444-2452
Report Poaching, Vandalism (800) 847-6668

I have hunted Montana for 42 years and have experienced what you noted your first season ten fold. Nothing you described is any different in any other part of the state. The difference is how you handle it. My father and our ranch manager decided more than 50 years ago that land owners and hunters must work together to avoid hard feelings and the problems you experienced. Communication is the first step. Not signage prohibiting access, but signage encouraging communication. We have our phone number posted every 50 yards or so on almost 2 miles of our fencing, with instructions to call for access. "All others will be reported to the Montana FWP and towed away." In my entire life, we've had 2 trespassers removed, cited and had their vehicles towed away. We are in one of the best hunting districts in the state and I assure you that most people know it, including non-residents. I intentionally hunt the Bob Marshall Wilderness because it is rough going and most folks won't go through the trouble. This year we never saw another soul in the five days at our elk camp and only heard a few shots the entire trip.

Unlike many Montanans, I am far from being opposed to newcomers to the state. I embrace it as long as they don't bring the bad habits from their prior state. Our population will never be threatened like neighboring states due to many reasons, mostly economic and of course, our long winters.

Please understand that it is the FWP's responsibility to address the access/trespass issues and not yours. Your responsibility is to document the violations and report it if you truly believe a problem exists. Unlike every other state in the nation where state officials drag their knuckles on everything, that isn't the way it works here and they act very promptly. Some of my best friends have been working for the FWP their entire lives and they take great pride in protecting our state wildlife from poachers and illegal access.

I hope you accept this information as it was intended. I'm not the * you think I am and I truly don't believe you are one either. Sometimes folks get off on the wrong foot for the wrong reason. Others take comments too much to heart without really understanding the reason the comment was made. You are now a "fellow Montanan" in my eyes and I hold no grudges towards you, nor wish you to hold any towards me. Hopefully, 2014 will be a better year all the way around and will provide you with better hunting opportunities, in addition to the better life you sought here. [^]

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Lonnie, I need a favor from you. If you come back East on one of your trips or to see Kenny, Can I meet you in PA and have you take this Miss America sign back to Woodhog in Kalifornia???? I will drive to your location and also hook you up with a brick of 22's and buy you a meal for your troubles. The sign is 18" by 8' long. Let me know if you are coming this way. Post it to the forums and I will give you my number, but I think you already have it. If you can't get the sign, It is understandable. I don't want to put any pressure on you to do this, if it is inconvenient. UPS wants more then the sign is worth to ship it. Oakie

Miss%20America.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lonnie, Sorry I didn't get right back. My well lines broke somewhere in the yard and I have been trying to dig them up to see where they split. Still haven't found them at 5 feet and it looks like an oil well bubbling up through the lawn.

Anyway, what is above the ceiling that you show in the picture. Is it attic space????? Let me know, and I will take it from there. I will have a few more questions and we will see if we can get you up and running. I know you drive, so just get back to me when you can. Oakie
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The thing with Cancer is the doctor needs to find it fast. That is the key. Also there are basically 2 kinds of cancer fast and slow.

I had the fast kind. When i went to the doctor he told me he would slice less than half my tongue off and might dissect my left neck.

It took 3 weeks to get the 4 doctors that worked on me to have the free day to operate. It was a 15 hour operation. In 3 weeks i went from getting less than half my tongue cut off to almost all of my tongue cut off.

I also had to have a double neck dissection because i had cancer in my lymphnodes in both sides of my neck.

My chemo doctor asked me about 6 or 7 times if i quite smoking yet. I finally made him understand that i have never smoked and i dont drink. It seems over 99% of the people who get the cancer i got smokes and drinks.

The biggest think you can do is have regular check ups. Also if something pops up go to the doctor and check it out do not wait. I beat stage 4 cancer but i paid a very high price.

Like i said get checked out at least every year.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I see said the blind man

#1 Wyoming

State Income Tax: None
    State Sales Tax: 4%
    Estate Tax/Inheritance Tax: No/No

Thanks to the abundant revenues that Wyoming collects from oil and mineral companies, its residents have one of the lowest tax burdens in the nation, according to the Tax Foundation, a nonprofit research group in Washington, D.C. There is no state income tax. The state sales tax is 4%, and counties in the Equality State can only add up to 1% in additional levies -- a very low ceiling. Plus, prescription drugs and groceries are exempt from state sales taxes. For most property, only 9.5% of market value is subject to tax, so a home worth $100,000 is taxed on $9,500 of assessed value.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Almost smoked a herd of deer just north of your soon to be home in my jeep Saturday night. There was one hell of a good buck in the herd. You going to do any hunting this year?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are you working on that Chevelle?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=536747&whichpage=2

when you have the time sir, there are a few people that would be interested in an update.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I've met many GBers and I got the chance to meet another one this evening and took it. Swapped stories over a cup of coffee and I got to take a look at a restored 61 Jaguar he was transporting. Good Lord what a beautiful car. $100,000 worth of antique heading north into a squall. Hope ya made it home safe, Lonnie. Enjoyed meeting you.

Clouder..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do you know if Willies distillery is selling whiskey yet
  • Options
    edited November -1
    trucker.jpg
    [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey Bro what's the deal with the trailers I see that seem to have just a frame covered in plastic. Looks like it was shrink rapped with opaque visqueen.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Your Grandmother knew how you turned out to be a good person because others told her.

My parents both worked so i Grandmother watched me during the summer and got me ready for school.

When i was in the military my last stop was to tell Grandma how much i loved her. I never cried when i told my parents by just when i told Grandma bye.

10 years later i get out and she is still around and i still go see her. When her health failed all 7 of her children offered a place to stay but she wanted to go to a rest home.

She lived about 5 or 6 years in the rest home. During her last 4 years i did not see her very much because i could not see her ate up with arthritis.

I was selfish i could not see her in pain it hurt to bad. On the other side all my memeorys of her are with her in good health.

Its funny i could tell everyone but her by and it would not bother me but with her i would cry like a ababy.

I am crying now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is this you? [:D]

truck3_zps1qpnlrv2.jpg

truck4_zpsluco4ezj.jpg

truck1_zpsadqyy0e4.jpg

truck2_zpszdc9tazo.jpg

A 2015 Volvo Semi Truck filled with 43,000 pounds of bottled water destroyed a small bridge in Paoli, Indiana that dates back to 1880. The staggering part is that signs before the bridge said that the weight limit was 6 tons and that semis were not allowed on the bridge.

According to police reports the driver, Mary Lambright, was unaware that her vehicle was more than 6 tons because she couldn't convert to pounds. All told she was off by about 24 tons, her truck weighed in at 30. More than that, the 53 foot box trailer didn't even clear the top of the bridge.

She ended up at the bridge mouth after making a wrong turn en route to a Wal Mart parking lot where she had a stop off planned. Being uncomfortable in reverse after getting her CDL license earlier this year, she tried her chances on the bridge.

As the pictures show, that decision was regrettable to say the least. Lambright will be subject to a fine of $135 for "reckless operation of Tractor-Trailer" and "disregarding a traffic control device" but the main culpability will be with her compapny. No one was injured in the incident which took place around noon on Christmas Day.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You going to shedhorn this weekend
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Congrats on 10,000 posts!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Did the tire diagnosis attachment make it to you okay?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You didn't lose a cooler on the highway out in front of your subdivision today did you, because I found one with the front bumper of my wife's jeep.

Had a semi coming at me and couldn't see it with its lights and by the time I did see it I could get over far enough to miss it because said semi was occupying that lane..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How is the weather over your way
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not to step on your jury post but I was supposed to go on jury duty next week. I kind of despise it. $22.00 a day but it costs you at least $15 a day to park. I notified them that I was going to be out of town those days which I actually am. Told them I had the hotel rooms and venue tickets already booked which I do. Got it pushed back to the week of Oct. 17th. In my case they didn't really care as long as I served within 6 months.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    what ever happen on your court date for your children[?]

did i miss the outcome[?]

hope things went your way
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I remembered a thread that you had asked about products for removing bugs and crap off of your bike.

I have a 95 F350 that had been parked under some bull pines and was built up with sap and black crap along with some small rust speckles around the wheel wells. I wanted to polish it up before it gets too bad. Well, it was too bad!

I went and bought some goo-gone and it was still a pain.

So I thought I would try some bleach water in a spray bottle. That bleach water took the crap off with a simple wipe down after spraying it on and letting it sit for a minute.

So, bleach water was the ticket for me.

edit to add: it was a diluted solution as I did a google search first and there was back and forth advice about whether or not it would harm the clear coat. I power washed it right after.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Lonnie, how did you make out with your son and his decision today???? I hope it went good and you guys had a better day. Hang in there. Oakie
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you talking about what is commonly called a Conestoga trailer? It is a flatbed with a kit to make it look like an enclosed van trailer. It is a frame kit that mounts to the flatbed and has a solid front, mayne doors on the back and tarps for the sides and roof?

Those are really slick trailer setups but the kit is expensive and depending on the normal freight it may not work well. For whT we haul mostly that kit is useless but guys who haul a lot of steel coils and other things needing tarped they are great.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    That's it. Thank's man.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Here are a couple variations,

This one has a tarp back

D29A833D-FE01-407B-AD65-0D627A58151C_zpsk4ea2pws.jpg

This one has actuall doors

28AD3859-B329-436B-833C-B1C2D0F10F8A_zpshqjlkeoo.jpg

Those two are called Conestogas, this is just called a "Covered Wagon", when Instarted trucking back in the 90s this is what I pulled, slick as hell for craned steel loads!

F804F8C9-4775-4D4C-8AC7-777049AB576B_zpslrhafmle.png
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The top one, the tarp back. I saw one like that on I40 just outside of Wilmington,N.C. today. How often do you have to replace the plastic??
  • Options
    edited November -1
    The sides are actual heavy tarp and will last years if taken care of.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AND THEY ARE SHINY TOO!! [;)]
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago almost all of the guys who hauled tobacco from the ware houses to the processing plant used them
    cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war.....