In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Bantam shotgun

scutascuta Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Hopefully you all remember my son Michael, well he wants to start shotgunning with myself and his older brother. But, his arms just aren't long enough to use the Mossburg that we have.
Any suggestions as to make model gauge, loads, etc would be most appreciated. This is probably going to be his birthday present, turning 11 soon.

If you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.

Comments

• richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    Do you already have a Mossberg 500 bantam?

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • scutascuta Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No, it is a Mossburg Model 80 12 gauge

• A.GunA.Gun Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I am 15 1/2 and I got my first gun at the age of 11. It was a New England Firearms 20 gauge single shot. I still use the gun today. It is very light and accurrate. With the new nitro shells out I can easily shoot and kill , lets say a turkey at 25-35 yards.
    edited November -1
    A-Gun,

My 14 year old son handles the Mossburg 12 gauge pretty well, just not for an extended period of time... I am not so much worried about the recoil as he is a stout little man. Just need something shorter.

• bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    My first shotgun was given to me way back in 1975 when I was 12. It was an H&R Topper single shot 12 GA. Boy that light gun could kick, but not too bad with #8 game loads. The next year I got a reloader cause my dad got tired of buying so many shells. By 1980 I had actually completely worn that gun out.

From85-01.jpgTosoftair-eagle.jpg
    And everything in between.
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that the New England Firearms company that makes single shot shotguns with different barrels. You could start him on a smaller guage and when he is ready add the 12 guage barrel. I think you can also get centerfire barrels for the same action.

Perhaps someone else here knows more on whether this is true?

RUGER.jpg

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
    edited November -1
    Does Thompson Center make shotgun barrel's ?? Reason I ask, is we have a contender which happens to be his favorite rifle(in .223, and if I could drop a shotgun barrel on to it, I know he would love it.
    Time for me to visit the thompson website I think...