In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Are you becomming more like your dad??

paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Last night as I was watching a movie with the dog and kids, I kept having to turn up the tv louder and louder just to hear it! It might have had something to do with the obnoxious noises that were emiting from Ma's mouth as she slept on the couch, but hey thats another story!

Anyways my 16 year old son mumbled something and I said, what did you say? He replied oh nothing! I says you said something now what was it! He says to me , Dad your really getting more and more like Poppy everyday! Poppy was very hard of hearing and refused to get a hearing aid! He always said he had a hearing aid and promptly pointed to my mother and grinned!

I have noticed as I get older that I do some things that remind me of my Dad! I can see it as well in my brothers! These things didn't seem as noticeable when we were younger, but as we grow older it becomes very aparent!

Anybody else notice this or am I just getting senile???

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
This was the Ancient law of Youth
Old times are past, old times are done:
But the Law runs true, O little son!

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are we supposed to vote? I vote senile. But seriously, I think that as we mature we become a mature version of ourselves. I hope that never happens to me.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Like most male members of this board, I would be very proud if someone suggested I was becoming "just like your father." I loved my father, who taught me many, many things about the road through life.

On the other hand, as Pa mentioned, becoming more like your father means growing older, having to slow down, and all kind of health maladies.

So, I guess that I have mixed emotions about becoming more like dad, but maybe someday, on an internet forum somewhere, someone may say something nice about me.........[^]

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Hey Charlie: Ill bet Ill have a few things to say about ya after next weekend!!![:D]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

• njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    You do and Mrs njretcop will knock your block off......that woman is big and mean! I know!! [:(]

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I remember in my late thirties looking in the mirror, which is scary enough as it is, and noticing that somewhere along the line I turned into a re-creation of my Dad. Of the six sons of his, I am the closest to being a clone. I asked him once why it was that he had helped out all the others with their first car, getting started in a business or college etc. Me, I never got a thing or asked. He said I was the one most like him so he new I'd be able to take care of myself. Best compliment I ever had.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I know I'm looking more like my Dad all the time.
    That's not a bad thing though,cause he's a good lookin' guy![:D]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will never add up to my dad. my son looks like him , walks like him, talks like him maybe it skipped a generation.

col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    I am a man but I can change if I have to,I guess.
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    Hey, I could only aspire to be what Pa is. An all around good guy, I find myself more and more sounding like him. As for my kid, everyone says he's a mini me...... quote:Originally posted by pabooger
    Last night as I was watching a movie with the dog and kids, I kept having to turn up the tv louder and louder just to hear it! It might have had something to do with the obnoxious noises that were emiting from Ma's mouth as she slept on the couch, but hey thats another story!

Anyways my 16 year old son mumbled something and I said, what did you say? He replied oh nothing! I says you said something now what was it! He says to me , Dad your really getting more and more like Poppy everyday! Poppy was very hard of hearing and refused to get a hearing aid! He always said he had a hearing aid and promptly pointed to my mother and grinned!

I have noticed as I get older that I do some things that remind me of my Dad! I can see it as well in my brothers! These things didn't seem as noticeable when we were younger, but as we grow older it becomes very aparent!

Anybody else notice this or am I just getting senile???

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Same here on the hearing Tim! And the top of my head! [:D]

Plus, as time has passed, I now see his hands when I look at mine, and catch myself doing little things that I've seen him do. Not a bad feeling actually.
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I remember in my late thirties looking in the mirror, which is scary enough as it is, and noticing that somewhere along the line I turned into a re-creation of my Dad. Of the six sons of his, I am the closest to being a clone. I asked him once why it was that he had helped out all the others with their first car, getting started in a business or college etc. Me, I never got a thing or asked. He said I was the one most like him so he new I'd be able to take care of myself. Best compliment I ever had.

This exact thing happened to me too. Only, I didn't take it as a compliment because my dad said, "Because I don't like your looks"......go figure.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm with Dcon - Yep, you're goin' senile... [:D]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Senile, I dont think so. Its just selective hearing.

I suffer from the same thing, the wife says so.

Thats what I think she said, I was watching TV at the time.[:0][:D]

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,570 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll never be able to fill his shoes.

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    To the extent that I can ever be ... I am my father, started about 20+ years ago and the transition has been long complete.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey pabooger, maybe if you get a hearing aid you'll might be able to persuade blackiebooger to get one! Geesh.

Hey dad..

Hey dad..

HEY DAD!

WHAT?!!

[:D]

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D]Poor hearing is a Booger family trait!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

• dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Poppy was very hard of hearing and refused to get a hearing aid!

I gave in and bought the hearing aids, I just never wear them! Silence is golden, and the excuse, "I don't have my hearing aids in" gets me out of a lot of "listening"![:D]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    Yea, I'm getting more grey hair every day.[}:)][:D]

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pabooger
    [:D][:D]Poor hearing is a Booger family trait!!!

pa.gif
    Repeat the 'booger clan creed' with me now!.....ready?.... huh?.....huh?.....wha?.....hunh? hunh?......welcome to hunting in the woods of nw pa[:D]
    Rixford.gif

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
  • toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    I do and say things al the time that make me stop and say,"I'm sounding like Dad". This is a good thing because my Dad is my hero.

A dead intruder cannot testify against you in a court of law!

If they're still moving, put another round in them!

P239n_Beauty.gif
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    I am the exact opposite personality type of my old man. He is short tempered and verbally abusive to people he dosen't like much [:D] as to where I am more laid back and relaxed. My dad, though, is a good person at heart, but if he dosen't like you there isn't anything you'll ever say to him to convince him to talk nice to you. [:D] I guess that's why my old man was never a salesman.

aliens.jpg
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    For those of you that had great dads, I am glad for you. As to me if I begin to act like my father I will shoot myself. My grandfather raised me so hopefully I will be like him rather than my dad. As to the hearing; kids, factory jobs, shooting, wife, and did I say KIDS! All of those will cause hearing loss either actual or selective![;)] As to hair loss, my grandfather died at the age of 84 and his hair was as thick as when a young man. He did not even begin to turn grey headed till he reached 80!

"we are but men... no more, no less..."
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I am my dad...

I look like him, I sound like him, I act like him.

Talked to my wife once on the phone for five minutes and she thought she was talking to my dad! By the time I was done she thought my dad was a real pervert!![:D][}:)]

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Wow this was a weird post my Girlfriend just told me about 10 minutes ago that i was acting like my dad weird

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father is very easily impressed by money and status. My father seems to think that a persons toys are what makes them desirable to be around. It's caused many rifts between us over the years.

When I was young I spent all kinds of time with my mothers side of the family. A bunch of drunken fools now that I look back. Luckily for me about fifteen years ago I began to see something to envy in the lives of my paternal grandparents. I think most would say I'm striving to be more like my fathers father. And I'd be very proud to hear them say that. My grandfather has shown me the importance of integrity and honor over wealth and status. That's not to say he hasn't achieved a level of either of the latter. He just doesn't flaunt it or make it seem dirty.

Woods

Hamlin.gif
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    The acorn does not fall far from the tree.
    I miss him... God bless his soul.

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not,
    and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.
  • Fep1990Fep1990 Member Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can only hope that I will someday be more and more like my father. He is not only my dad, and my role model, but he is my best friend. No matter how bad us kids seem to screw up, he is there to listen and to give us advice and we always know that he loves us.
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • SUBMARINERSUBMARINER Member Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my dad told me "your fathers wisdom increases geometricly with the age of your children" no truer word did he ever speak.the other day i was climbing my daughters butt for something she did and it hit me mid-sentence that it was my dad talking to me 20 years ago..i still have my dad to talk to and when he hears me talk to my kids he is often seized by bouts of uncontollable giggling..he says god has a sense of humor

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail alisonandwalt@charter.net
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    I hope so, dad was a straight shooter. Though he did not like guns. I guess it came from being in WW2

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.