In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

trying to quit smoking any advice?

0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
trying to quit smoking any advice?ive tried the patch it didnt work,i tried cold turkey it only made me agitated and nervous,so anybody have any advice?

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
SEMPER FI

Comments

• reb8600reb8600 Member Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you truly want to quit you can. You have to understand that things will irratate you a little more at first so just dont let it. I quit 5 years ago. I was smoking 3 packs a day and had smoked for 18 years. I woke up one morning and shared the last smoke with the wife and have not lit up since. I had one smoke I carried around on my ear like you would a pencil for about 2 months just to show I had the will power to do it.

Guncontrol-The ability to hit what your aiming at.
  • bluegoose11bluegoose11 Member Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I started smoking when I was 13 thought it was cool smoked eversince 3to31/2 packs a day I tried everything about gave up. First thing is you really have to want to quit if you dont you are wasting your money Go on ebay and get smokeaway about 1/3 what they want on tv follow their derections and have a stong commitment to quit I did it in june and have not smoked since They have some pills and a liquid to help after you quit I refuse to take those I figgured Id just get hooked on them I have a real hard craving everyday about drives me nuts since I quit I have taken a drag off of a burnt butt 2 times didnt want a fresh smoke afraid I might like it They made me dizzy and gave me a headache after one drag Im not saying I have quit yet but I have gone 8 months so far But like I said YOU HAVE TO REALLY WANT TO QUIT OR YOU ARE WASTING YOUR MONEY I don't think I have tried to type this much since highschool oyea Im 55 now GOOD LUCK
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,889 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya gotta want it bad. I used the nicotine gum and didn't want any more of it after 2 weeks. I chewed a lot of regular gum after that. Problem was, I quit for a woman and when the relationship went south, I started again. DOH! Smoking used to be called the only socially acceptable method of suicide.

Setting aside the same amount of cash you normally spend on smokes every day and having a goal is supposed to help. I bought a La-Z Boy recliner, I'd always wanted one.

Something to do with your hands is good too, a yo-yo, a pair of worry stones, a pocket electronic game, anything to keep them busy. Gum or mints or something to stick in your mouth because you don't smoke while eating.

Good luck.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • SamieJ1959SamieJ1959 Member Posts: 157 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rearrange the furniture in your house. Try sitting in a different place than you are used to. When driving, you will find that you always light up in the same spots on the road, so try a different route to and from. Buy sugarless gum and chew chew chew. Drink plenty of water. When you want a smoke, then drink a glass of water. Water also helps flush your body out faster. You will need to find something to do with your hands. Try playdoh or a stress ball.
    I quit for a year one time. I took a walk every time I wanted a smoke also. I started smoking again because I ended up sitting at my desk all the time and was the only one not socializing. I guess the Military will do that to you.

You get out of life what you put into it. If you put nothing, you get nothing.
  • bluegoose11bluegoose11 Member Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a doctor tell me quiting was one of the easyest things he had ever done he said he had done it thousands of times
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    If you really want to quit put down on paper the cost of of a gun you would really like to buy. How much do you can you save per day on cig's times how many packs of smokes you buy per day. If you can buy the desired gun in 60-90-110 days while not smoking, isn't that better than having to take 3 times that number of days trying to save the money and continuing to smoke to buy the gun? Plus you get healthier not smoking per day.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen a lot of chickens roost over tobacco hanging in the barn. When it is stripped the leaves have black stuff all over them. I would quit if you don't like smoking chicken do-do. I use to grow 12000 pound every year myself. Also go to the tobacco house(if you can find one still open) and watch them clean up all the scraps with the rat do-do, and god only knows what else in it.
    Remember, would you want to put food to you mouth that you knew was done like this. My chickens didn't do this, but I knew a lot of others that do.
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will be tough, but you can hack it. I smoked for 40 years, lost track of the number of times I quit and started back. Patches and gum didn't work, hypnosis no help ... even had a flippin staple put in my ear and that didn't do it either.

Got married in '91 and my wife is an NP (similar type of practice as GP) and she's in the Public Health sector, and as such she sees a number of "psych" patients from a number of surrounding facilities that use her clinic. Anyway, she started noticing that many of the patients on a drug called Wellbutrin were no longer smoking and many of these folks are/were very heavy smokers. As she checked further she finds out that the drug is basically the same as one called Zyban that is marketed for somking cestation at about twice what Wellbutrin is and guess what ... same company makes it. Seems that the drug company noticed the side effect, dinked around some, changed the name and submitted it to FDA who approved it. Essentiall the same drug with 2 names and very different costs. Also, many insurance companies won't pay for Zyban but they don't even blink at Wellbutrin.

So after that ramble to give you and others reading the background, my advice is that if you have problems quitting, don't go with stuff that puts nicotine in your system, or other gimmicks. Go to base doctor or your private doctor and talk to them about what your trying to do and the big $$$ diff. in the drugs. Many don't know that there is such a big jump in price and when they find out they are good with writing a script for Wellbutrin.

For me and many others I've talked with that have used the drug we stopped within less than a month. When I got the drug through an associate of my wife I was told to just keep smoking for the next 2-3 weeks, but to set a date at say 3 weeks that I would quit. I never made it to the date circled on the calendar, totally lost interest. That was almost 6 years ago. Do I still get a craving once in a while, yes ... but a deep breath or two and it passes.

Anyone interested ... call a couple drug stores, on one call ask them for their prices on a 30 day supply of Wellbutrin. Day or so later call again and ask for prices on Zyban. That way you will have current info. on price differences ... which I suspect are still significant and Zyban is probably still not covered by many insurance plans.

Most doctors/NP's will work with patients trying to quit smoking.

Regardles of the method you (or anyone else reading this) use, I wish you success!!!

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oops .. forgot to mention that I only continued taking the drug for another couple weeks after I quit, and have not used it since.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I used Welbutrin to quit....took it for a month, and continue to smoke...have a quit day marked during the second week....On that day, NO MORE CIGS...continue to take the Welbutrin for the rest of the month and you are a non smoker...
    The only drawback of it was a metallic taste in my mouth but nothing you cant live with, and best of all?...NO CRAVINGS...NONE, ZIP, NIL..

After you go off Welbutrin, you do get the rare...and yes its rare craving for a cig, but its easy to deal with...

There is also something available to the military free...friend of mine had it done...let me see if I can find it....I do know you are given injections (2) into the carotid artery and you are finished smoking....thats it....
    I cant find it right now, but they are doing commercials on the radio for it ...you go into the office in the evening, are given a mild sedative, given an injection into both carotid arteries, and you go home...the cravings are gone and there is no desire to smoke..I know its available in Tampa to the military and the public now...I just cannot remember the name of the stupid thing...I do know she paid 475.00 for the injections but the military was getting it free....
    THat annoys me when I cannot remember...grrrrrrrrr
    cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion

Hudson.gif
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    One of the best ways to quit a habit. Is to replace it with
    another habit. It also takes 30 days to change or start a habit.
    Find something better than smoking for your health and use that as
    your new habit, peanuts, gum, spitz,use your imagination.
    Cold turkey is best. But before you can have any measure of success
    you must want to quit more than you want to smoke.
    I have quite for many years. The fist few days will be the hardest
    but as time passes the urge to light up will lesson as each week
    goes buy. From say a few minutes to a few seconds until you no longer
    have the urge at all. Good luck. You can succeed if you give it a
    good effort. Its all in your mind.

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not,
    and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bluegoose11
    Had a doctor tell me quiting was one of the easyest things he had ever done he said he had done it thousands of times

The good doctor was quoting Mark Twain.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • tidemantideman Member Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    o311 marine,
    Be successful. QUIT!!!!

It was the best move I ever made [besides getting married to QB]

I smoked 3-3 1/2 packs a day. I quit by going on the patch, eating alot of junk food and replacing my cravings with other stuff that wasn't habit forming.

The money I saved was directed towards more guns.

I lost the desire for coffee and beer, too. The total monthly savings was approx. $500-$700 per month. I smoked alot and drank alot of beer!

Now, 4 years later, my sense of smell has returned, I got plenty of spare change, and, I don't stink like a trash pile!!!!!

YOU CAN DO IT IF YOU WANT TO!

Tideman [Smoke Free in TEXAS]

"Don't shoot to stop 'em, Shoot to Destroy 'em!"
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My advice: Don't start chewing or using other substances with Nicotine. You'll just end up switching poisons.

I haven't smoked for almost 2 years now! Still trying to put down the Skoal, though. [:(]

G36

Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT CriminalsThe 2nd Amendment; America's Original Homeland Security
  • tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    I quit smoking in 1970 after having smoked for 10 years. You might be amused to know that I picked up the habit in Marine Corps bootcamp at MCRD in 1960. Back then the DI's were often vicious and physical abusive. I am talking about fists to the gut or head, kicks to different parts of the body, beingforced to lay down and roll on concrete or asphalt (the so-called "street" running in front of each of the metal curved Quansat huts no longer used) etc. To help endure this I took up the onething they let us do: smoke. And I purchased the strongest tobacco I could get, either unfilterred Camels or Lucky Strikes. After puffing one of those quickly it was a high like drinking a beer.

Anyway I quit smoking at what I think was one of the toughest times in the world to quit. In 1970 there were no stop smoking aids and everywhere you went you were surrounded by smokers. My advice, if you want it, is to decide to quit and from that moment on DO NOT SO MUCH AS TAKE EVEN ONE PUFF. Because if you do, then you haven't actually quit smoking as you are just reminding your body how much you love that nicotine. If you can go about 2 weeks totally without smoking you shouldlose a lot of your desire for nicotine. Use mints and gum to keep your mind off wanting to have a cigarette. When you want one real bad, take a huge breath of air in, and hold it for as long as you possible can. When you are finally forced to let that air out, you will just want to breath fresh air so badly you won't even think of wanting to pollute your lungs with tobacco. JMHO.

Quote "When guns were invented everything changed. For the first time in the history of the world a frail woman had a chance to sucessfully defend herself and home. My dream is that one of the anti-gun nuts will need a gun for defense and be unable to have one because of their own actions."
  • kissgoodnightkissgoodnight Member Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you use the patch and have vivid wild dreams at night, you may want to take the patch off for sleeping and put on a new one in the morning. Or you may like the vivid dreams.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I used the patch differently than suggested. I quit cold turkey, and every time I felt homicidal, I'd put a patch on. If you use them in this fashion they really will take the anger right out of ya. Also, don't use one the first day, it's good to confront the addiction head-on. And, don't leave them on for long periods of time, take 'em off when you don't need one. Buy two boxes of the potent ones, quit smoking, and ration them out the next few weeks. FU**ing BE A MAN!!! Cause them little sticks are making a PU**Y out of you. Look at that box of smokes... It's inanimate and still you're still it's little Bitc*. Get MAD and crush the pack w/ cigs still in it. Cause no one wants to wheel you and your oxygen tank out into the woods to listen to you hack and cough. Quit while it can still make a difference.
    Good Luck, It can be done, but it will take months to be happy with your decision.
    A Friend,
    Ben
  • Night StalkerNight Stalker Member Posts: 11,967
    edited November -1
    Drink more [}:)]

NSDQ!

"Many free countries have lost their liberty, and ours may lose hers; but if she shall, be it my proudest plume, not that I was the last to desert; but that I never deserted her." -President Abraham Lincoln
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    You did not start smoking in one day. Please do not think you can stop in one day. Plan your Dive and Dive your Plan. Meaning make shure you have every thing in place to stop smoking. Talk to all the right people and have a plan in place to make it happen. My 2 cents. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marine, most of these are good advice for helping with quitting somking. Take which ones you may.

My advice is to go to your Primary Care Manager (PCM) and get some Wellbutrin. It is an antidepressant that works great for smoking cessation (it was mentioned in a prior thread). What you do is you take the wellbutrin and cut back on cigarettes, one less cigarette a week. It makes quitting easy for most.

Frog

BTW, how's Oregon treating you? Are you there yet? How was your move?

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    well ive only smoked 1 cig today so far i had it while driving to university of washington.darn traffic.hey fr0g im no longer living in oregon im up in north seattle now.the move went ok i rented a crappy u-haul truck and tow dolley i had to pack up and move everything by myself.the truck had to much weight in it and + i was pulling my truck behind it.i had to pull over a couple of times to let the engine cool down.my nice flat screen tv fell and broke while loading it into the truck,so i gotta go get that fixed,in the mean time i bought a new 32" tv w/ surround sound system i'm in heaven now lol

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know two guys who switched from smokes to chewing toothpicks. Man, they must have killed three trees before they stopped, but it did work. Other tactics in addition to those I've seen above - going for a walk until the craving passes, brushing your teeth (my teeth were sooooo clean when I finally quit . . . just wish I'd bought stock in the toothpaste company first!).

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a friend who quit by counting the average # of cigs he smoked each day. Then he would conciously decrease that number by 1 every three days. After a while he had to start keeping the pack in the fridge to keep them fresh. And not too long after that he had forgotten all about it and just took the pack out of the fridge and tossed it. Hasn't smoked since.
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I quit a couple years ago. I just stopped. I did keep a box of toothpicks in the truck and chewed them until I had to give them up for the splinters in my throat. The thing I realized was I did not miss the smokes as much as something to do with my hands. I still find that when I get upset I will grab my front pocket for a smoke.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I smoked for a while years ago. I was a terrible smoker. Overnight I'd go from zero to two packs a day. I'd smoke first thing out of bed, at bedtime, in the middle of the night. I'd stay up all night smoking. I'd suck in the smoke and hold it like it was a toke. It was drug behavior. I also had a "TIA" (mini-stroke) at work, and didn't even see a doc about it. I couldn't work and smoke at the same time -- so at the office I'd get up and stare out the window every time I lit up -- and I was nearly a chain smoker. I was no good at smoking. But I was hooked.

So after quitting once and getting back on the stuff after a break, I decided I'd have to put myself out by any means necessary to stay off. Here's what I did: First, I quit on a weekend so I'd have a couple days to get into the new routine. Whenever I got nervous like you did, I laid down and took a nap, regardless of time of day. I took a lot of naps... [:D] If I had a weak moment and bought a pack or even a carton, I'd waste them ASAP at the first strong moment by smashing and destroying all those perfectly good cigarets -- a few bucks is a cheap price to pay while trying to quit smoking. After crunching up a few, I finally taught my "dark side" that it was not worth spending the money. And finally, I disrupted my living space so that I would not, could not forget what I was trying to do while kicking back on the phone or watching TV -- by hanging three (3) huge painted signs from the draperies, that stretched around the living room and right above the TV set, The three signs read: CANCER ... YOU ... IDIOT. It worked. Haven't had one since 1984.

I don't know what will work for someone else, but I'm sure a person can be most successful by learning to blow the whistle on himself in the weak times, as I did. Put things in place to trip yourself up at the times when you smoke without thinking. Maybe a sign on the visor in the car, several in the house, by the telephone. People light up without thinking about it, just like they bite their nails without thinking, so the key is to jog your head during all those times when your hands are moving and you don't even realize it. Avoid stress, because smokers always light up when stressed, even by conversation. That's why the naps. And just hearing about quitting smoking will make smokers light up AT ONCE, so it will help if people don't talk about it no matter how you are doing. There are probably smokers reading this thread who are lighting up right now. P.S. -- all the funny looking big signs can come down AFTER you quit. If you get a ribbing about them in the meantime, so what?

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    Just quit because you want to quit. Everything else is a distraction, crutch, or substitute.
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    hide firearms, avoid inlaws, don't drive.....

JOIN PETA! (PEOPLE EATING TASTY ANIMALS) I didn't climb to the top of the food chain to have a salad and spring water!
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    You are kind of high strung anyway. Short fused that is. I would not try to quit if I were you.

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
    edited November -1
    My grandfather was house bound, mostly by choice. He smoked menthol cigarettes. The doctor told him to quit or die soon. He left the ashtray and cigarettes right by his chair for a long time, but never picked them up again.

Whatever method you use, you gotta want it.

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

• droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,363 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks ALL for the advise !!!!!!!!!! I would not have quit with out this help......

This topic made me "Quit" yesterday,,, well,,, I had a few to finish off,, went to sleep,, not one cig. the entire night. Plus it was cold out and I'm not allowed to smoke in the house.

Morning: Needed a SMOKE,,, brushed my teeth for 3 minutes.

Still needed a SMOKE,,,, Found something to do with my hands,, doubt I'll go blind.

Ah/Ha a cold shower would help,, after one second this was upgraded to "warm".

Made coffee,, big mistake,, thinking just one little "toke", found something distracting,, but she didn't want to be distracted Saturday morning.

Remembered there were probably a few "long ones" in the trash. Garbage in two days,, of course this would be an "emergency".

Thinking smoke,,, Made breakfast, determined chive onions look like cigarettes when you cut off the green stuff.

Drank more coffee,,, tried another distraction,, bad,, found myself doing a search for Zippo on fleabay.

Decided a nap was the answer, couldn't sleep.

Started thinking of all the money I'd save,, over $100.00 per month,, $1,200 per year,, WOW,,, I could buy at least 4 table dances a month and still have the same amount of money if I could just quit. Personally, I believe this activity should be considered "Therapy",,, I'll check later if this quitting is successful. Some real incentive.

Posting this on Gunbrokers,, gives me something new to do with my hands.

Whew,, Noon all ready.

droptop
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    COME ON DEVIL DOG! If an ex-army puke like me can quit cold turkey SO CAN YOU! I reverted to sunflower seeds. Sounds stupid but it worked. Good luck Marine!

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had planned to quit and had a date picked. I hated forking out all that cash for 20 nicotine sticks. Then I found the Indian Reservation. I also found out about "Native Lights" that taste an aweful lot like Marlboro lights and cost $10.00/carton. That just reduced my habit to about $300/year. I'm trying to think of another tangible reason to quit. Sure, I could die of emphysema. I don't care if I live to be 80. Everyone in my family lives into their 90's even if they do smoke. Resistance is futile. The last 10 years are always the lousy years too.

Some people say that you would quit if you didn't feel any kind of withdrawl or addiciton symptoms. I don't think that would be the case. I really do enjoy that first cigarette with coffee in the morning. I guess I have way too many good memories associated with the smell of a lit cigarette and the taste of that smoke rolling across my tastebuds. That burst of pleasure combined with a strong cup of deliciously-brewed coffee. I enjoy it too much.
  • 0311marine0311marine Member Posts: 3,233
    edited November -1
    well its 4:00pm pst and today so far ive only smoked 2 i usaully smoke a pack a day.feeling a little bit jumpy so i went for a walk feeling good now just got to trying[:)]

sspic.jpgPistol-01.gif
    SEMPER FI
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    If you want to do it, go for it. A Marine can do anything. I've done it twice now, first time in '78, took it up again in '84 and quit for good in '85. Just do it one hour at a time and then one day at a time. You'll still get urges from time to time but be strong, they pass soon and it'll be longer and longer betwen them.

Semper Fi
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    The only advice I could give is too late; don't start!

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.