In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SF want 6.8 instead of 5.56

SilentKnightSilentKnight Member Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I saw a post on here that said Special forces want a 6.8 caliber rifle. Where did that post go?

Comments

• HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you blame them? Ok now I am gonna duck.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Not sure where it went but . . . . 7mm is too big, 6mm is too small and 6.8 is just right? Dident the japs use this calibur in WWII? Tell me why? [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The why is that someone get's a nice big fat contract to build the new bangeroo ... of course you could just bring back the 7.62x51, but I don't think I'll hold my breath for that one.

bomb_line_3.gif
    If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    6.8 may have the penetrating power and trajectory characteristics of 5.56 and the stopping power of 7.62. I haven't read too much on the topic, but 5.56 doesn't stop skinny people and 7.62 x 39 is too inaccurate at long ranges and 7.62 x 51 is "too heavy."
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    It is in this months "RifleShooter"

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • duckyducky Member Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    there's a good article in 'Special Weapons for Military and Police' comparing the 5.56, 6x39, 6x42, and 6.8. The biggest advantages to the 6.8 apparently the harder punch at long distances, ability to feed through AK magazines. The article seemed to liken the 6x42 though as having short and long range power comparible to the 7.62x51, but much lighter.
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gap1916
    Not sure where it went but . . . . 7mm is too big, 6mm is too small and 6.8 is just right? Dident the japs use this calibur in WWII? Tell me why? [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO

Don't think so. I think that they used a 7.7" and a 6.5mm rounds.

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.