In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

OK, Here is the AMMO answer

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
The round is from WW1 issued only to officers who had the COLT .45 ,,revolvers, using the moon clip the Officer would fire this round.. Now this is the funny part, It is an artillery simulator, whistles like an artillery round, the officer would fire these prior to leaving the trenches, toward the enemy[:D][:D], fooling the enemy into thinking "Incoming Artillery" they would croutch in their trench and our soldiers would advance ..[8D][8D][:p][:p]

animatflip.gif

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
Hudson.gif
900.gif

Comments

• ruger 10 22ruger 10 22 Member Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They just think of everything don't they.[8D]

"The militia may be here destroyed by that method which has been practiced in other parts of the world before; that is, by rendering them useless - by disarming them."Temperance.gif
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Learn something new every day [:D] Good one!

gun1.gif
    "If you aim at nothing,
    you will be sure to hit it"
    hsas371x48.gif
    Santa_Cruz.gif
    [img][/img]
  • kuhlewulfkuhlewulf Member Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dang, that was my next guess![:(!]

James

Whats next? A ban on automatic transmissions?
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No that is something. I tried to scale the pix in my mind to decide if it would fit a revolver and goofed. At least I had whistle right, just the wrong use.......

I'd love to see more posts like that, getting tired of these 1st or 2nd posters having this ultra rare firearm that just came into their possession and needing help, etc., etc. But that's the subject for my post tonight so I'd best get about it.

Thanks for puttin us through our paces!

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was kinda right! I just didn't know why.

10-X.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You gotta be kidding. My American Army??

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    ya know thats what i thought it was. I was watching tv and the other room and didnt come back to post it

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    Couldn't the artillery fire instead? Keep the enemy down for real?

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ever try advancing under an artillary barrage? At some point they have to quit or your going to get hit ... WWI they were maybe covering 500-600 yards so they pretty much had to stop with the "boomers" when they were ready to charge. Having that fake out round was pretty slick ...

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    So has anyone tried any of these rounds? It would be interesting to actually hear the effect?

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Classic, do you have a reference cite on this? I just went through the defintitive references on US small arms ammo (History of Modern U.S. Military Small Arms Ammunition, Volume I, both 1st and 2nd Edtions, by Hackley, Woodin and Scranton) and find no illustration of such a round nor any verbiage discussing it. This is NOT to say you are wrong; these works deal with "official" designs and this could be something created by someone on the battlefield. But these guys spent the best their adult lives researching / producing these books and Bill Woodin has a research facility housing the most exhaustive collection of military ammunition in the world. I'm sure he'd like to add to it; I know I would!

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Contender Man
    Ever try advancing under an artillary barrage? At some point they have to quit or your going to get hit ... WWI they were maybe covering 500-600 yards so they pretty much had to stop with the "boomers" when they were ready to charge. Having that fake out round was pretty slick ...

The brits got pretty good at this and timed it pretty nicely. Maybe the reason was the US Army did not have any artillery to speak of in WW!

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.