In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Fed Judge Strikes Iowa Sex Offender Law

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Okay....I'm ticked off. Some Federal Judge has declared Iowa's Sex Offender law unconstitutional. The law prevents a convicted sex offender from living within 2000 feet of a school or daycare. What the heck is unconstitutional about that?

A shoplifter can be banned from entering a store where they've shoplifted because they can't be trusted there. I understand the difference is between public and private property but the theory is the same. You can't keep your hand out of the cookie jar so you don't get to go NEAR the cookie jar.

That's my rant. Here's the article if you want to read it:

http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/articles/2004/02/10/news/top/2dd3bef42e8275fb86256e360022d855.txt

Comments

• ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    While I believe that he court and the ACLU had a point, I think it was applied to the wrong case.

It's one thing to defend a neo-Nazi's right to free speech. They're, in the grand scheme of things, harmless crackpots who worship a man with a funny mustache. But to defend the rights of convicted child molestors? Who in their right mind thought that was a good idea?

Yes, I agree that freedom of movement is an important right we have in the United States... we need no transit papers to move from one place to the next, but to argue that restricting a child molestor's movement sets a dangerous precedent for all of our freedoms is like arguing that restricting the publication of classified data on the manufacture of nuclear weapons is a violation of freedom of expression. There is a limit to an individual's rights and that's where the public's safety and well-being are concerned.

Child molestors show a higher-than-average recidivism rate. They are predatory sex offenders who represent a danger to the most vulnerable portion of our society: our children. And if it comes down to protecting our kids from a potential threat or pandering to the pathetic whines of CONVICTED child molestors, I think you know who I'll vote for.
  • LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's actually a joke.
    Like he couldnt walk or drive the 2000 ft to a school if he wanted to.
    Just another "feel good" law.

FUNCTION BEFORE STYLE
  • Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lightning
    It's actually a joke.
    Like he couldnt walk or drive the 2000 ft to a school if he wanted to.
    Just another "feel good" law.

FUNCTION BEFORE STYLE

No joke, the law could then be applied and the molester thrown back in jail; where he should be!![}:)][}:)][}:)]

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.