In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

OK! The Best Of.........

greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
In my community is an old country store, aka Mom & Pop, where everyone knows one another. One of the local good ole boys was telling a crowd I was in few months back he "kilt" a deer with his 30/30 at 250 yds with open sights. Bullet hit square in the shoulder, "right where I aimed" and the deer dropped dead without taking a step.

I asked if he ever heard about the "laws of gravity"...DUH?

Next....

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.

Comments

• Options
    oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might have been yankin' ya chain a bit there Greek..Sum dem ole boys say anything fer a bit of stirrin', and you were in the right place for it.

There are no bad guns, only bad people.
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Eventhough unlikely.. there's still the possibility he used a 30/30 with them long range sights.

It would be a possibility to hit it - but might not be a sure shot to begin with.

polarbear.gif
    Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have no doubt that he could have "kilt" that deer at 250 yards with a 30-30, but he would have been sighting about 4' or more over his shoulder and dropping it in like a mortar shell.

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I wish I could have some of those magic bullets. That's the toughest part is figuring the "aim point" at those longer distances.[}:)]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not good enough of a hunter to use a 30-30, can't get close enough to them to hit them over the head with the gun[:D]

Greeker, we have them same story tellin fellas here to, the same ones who had the record bass on their line but the line broke, the same ones who seen the big 10 point the other day, which brings me to a question. How in the world do the people see a deer running or even standing for a few minutes and range does not matter and yet they can always tell you how many points it has! Also why is it that all deer spotted by these hawkeyes are are almost all 8 points and the exact spread is known? Do you know how hard it is for me not to yell BULLSH!! everytime I hear these guys?[:(!]

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • Options
    SawzSawz Member Posts: 6,049
    edited November -1
    Cartridge Type Bullet 50 100 150 200 250 300
    Remingtonr Expressr 150 SP CL 0.2 zero -2.4 -7.6 -16.1 -28.8
    Remingtonr Expressr 170 SP CL 0.3 zero -2.7 -8.3 -17.1 -29.9
    Remingtonr Expressr 170 HP CL 0.3 zero -2.7 -8.3 -17.1 -29.9

ENERGY (ft-lbs)
    Cartridge Type Bullet Muzzle 100 200 300 400 500
    Remingtonr Expressr 150 SP CL 1902 1296 858 565 399 316
    Remingtonr Expressr 170 SP CL 1827 1355 989 720 535 425
    Remingtonr Expressr 170 HP CL 1827 1355 989 720 535 425

"Respect your Tools"
    "Freedom is not Free"
  • Options
    bigal125bigal125 Member Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sawz: thanks for the drop and energy information. So, a 150 gr bullet will drop 16.1 inches at 250 yards, about the depth of a whitetail's barrel (shoulder to belly vertical measurement). <Coues whitetail excepted!>

Now....I dunno about this "good ole boy" and his thutty-thutty...but when I put my front sight on a deer 250 yards away, my front sight covers the deer, the saguaro cactus to the left, and the palo verde treeto the right, as well! Sheesh! [}:)][}:)][V]

Big Al
  • Options
    greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    Oldgunner: I don't think he was intentionally yanking my or anybodys chain. I've seen this guy around for a bunch of years and he thinks he's the be all to end all when it comes to shooting and if he tells the story with enough conviction it will be considered the gospel.

Danny:If he has any magic bullets they are stored next to the beans for the Giants Beanstalk. I'll pick you up some.

Scot:Mortar rounds would, I think, be more likely to hit a deer at that distance and drop it immediately than a 30/30.

7mm: Excellent point and one angle I never thought to pursue. How can they count points at that distance? In our came if we shoot a less than 4 pt buck we have to drop a $150.00 into the camp fund, so you bet your a$$ets it's 4 or more before you shoot!

Excellent points - all.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • Options
    phxtravisphxtravis Member Posts: 738 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    not gun related, but this kid I knew said he had a '66 camaro. he also said that he had an AMC Javelin(cant remember the year he said) and that he drilled holes throught the chassis and brought the weight into the 2500lbs region [:0][:0]

Desert Eagle .50AE
    Spring 1911-A1 Mil-Spec
    Marlin/Glenfield Mod 60
    Ruger MK1
    Mosin-Nagant M38
    banner-big.jpg
  • Options
    nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    Didn't have to... They rusted quick enough to do that on their own.[:)]

Nord
  • Options
    wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    Greeker. I don't see what's wrong with that fella taking that shot. I do it all the time with my Jennings 9mm. The last one, I think was even farther. Closer to 275 I believe. That 12 pointer (western count) never knew what hit him. Went down like a sack of potatoes when that 9mm round hit him in the side. I have to admit though, I have to steady the gun against a tree, when they are that far. Closer shots 200 yds or less, offhand is fine. [:o)]

Steve

ag00612_.gifsun_setting.gif
    Fight Crime, Shoot First
  • Options
    bigal125bigal125 Member Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wizard! Dangit, warn a person! I didn't have my hip waders on and then you go and shovel that sh.....stuff! Geez! [:D][:D][:D]

Now I gotta go change my shoes, socks, pants...heck, it even splashed up on the monitor! [:D][:0]

Sheesh!

Big Al
  • Options
    hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7mm nut

Greeker, we have them same story tellin fellas here to, the same ones who had the record bass on their line but the line broke, the same ones who seen the big 10 point the other day, which brings me to a question. How in the world do the people see a deer running or even standing for a few minutes and range does not matter and yet they can always tell you how many points it has! Also why is it that all deer spotted by these hawkeyes are are almost all 8 points and the exact spread is known? Do you know how hard it is for me not to yell BULLSH!! everytime I hear these guys?[:(!]

hey leave me out of it, I don't hunt

"Life is not a journey to the grave wtih the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body,

But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

-WOW- WHAT A RIDE!!!!!"
  • Options
    Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    Had a guy tell me, straight face, that he killed two moose with one shot!
    They were both on a lake, a couple of hunders yards apart and the closest was, I can't remember, somehundreds of yards away. This is the good part! This guy said he shot the first moose and the bullet went right through and bounced on the ice, skipped up and killed the second moose!!
    My brain went into neutral at that and I think that I said huh huh, or pretty much ignored anything he said aster that!

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • Options
    Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    Had a guy tell me, straight face, that he killed two moose with one shot!
    They were both on a lake, a couple of hunders yards apart and the closest was, I can't remember, somehundreds of yards away. This is the good part! This guy said he shot the first moose and the bullet went right through and bounced on the ice, skipped up and killed the second moose!!
    My brain went into neutral at that and I think that I said huh huh, or pretty much ignored anything he said after that!

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.